The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sean0219
Scored 750 in my UKCAT and not going to sit the GAMSAT. 4 choices will be Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton and Barts (If predicted a 1:1). Really hoping for normal UKCAT scores rather than 2014 levels as I really want to end up at Newcastle but can't be fussy lol. Good luck to everyone yet to sit their UKCAT/GAMSAT

Congrats that's grand! I'm also applying to Warwick and Newcastle - the other two want chemistry which unfortunately I don't have because I was a goon during my A levels hahaha.
Original post by sophmlg
Thank you! Hopefully I'll see you at Warwick then :biggrin:
Mainly I just loved the integrated teaching approach - rather than just having textbooks flung at you, you get patient contact very early on which is definitely a priority for me. I like the mix of lectures and group learning too, and the range of backgrounds in the cohort, so you're not just getting biomedical science graduates but a mix of healthcare professionals and arts graduates too. (I say that when I'll be a neuroscience graduate haha)
(Also how cool were the anatomy sections?!)

Yes, It was a very well planned/organised open day.

I hope I'll make it this year too (Staying Positive).

Thanks for the info, I agree with everything you said. Definitely the mix of student backgrounds is great. *
Original post by Medici103
Firstly, be wary of how medical schools view resits.

On to your questions:
1. Competition is greater for graduate entry than for undergraduate entry. However, graduates can apply to 5 year programmes if it's financially viable for them to do so.
2. & 3. Funding information for GEM can be found on the NHS careers website but it basically boils down to student self-funds the first £3495 of tuition fees for first year and applies to SFE for the remainder. After this tuition is picked up by SFE and NHS. Information about bursaries etc can be found on the NHS careers website.
4. As far as I am aware, the only uni that requires a completed degree at the time of application is Birmingham. Warwick accepts predicted classification as do the others. You may want to check on this though by looking at the individual med school websites.
5. I'm not taking GAMSAT so I don't know how hard it is but there is a free pdf shortened practice paper floating around the internet. A google search should do it. GAMSAT can be sat in Ireland in March and in the UK in September, prior to application. Results are valid for two years.
6. Imperial uses BMAT and not GAMSAT, but yes, they do require a science degree. A checklist is available on their website to help determine degree suitability. Others requiring science degrees include King's (UKCAT), Birmingham, Oxford (BMAT). You could look on the individual websites for this.
7. How difficult it is to obtain a first is hugely variable. It depends on numerous factors about the uni and course you attend, what your study habits are like, how you prioritise etc... it's impossible to answer with out knowing tons of info.

Thanks so much for your reply :smile: Do you know how competitive entry is to the 5 year course?
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Thanks so much for your reply :smile: Do you know how competitive entry is to the 5 year course?

Less so than for the graduate route but, it's medicine, it's going to be competitive.
Hey guys, I sat GAMSAT Sept 2015 and I am sitting it again this year.
How do I make sure my highest score is sent to my unis?
Thanks for any help x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by izzypetrie
Hey guys, I sat GAMSAT Sept 2015 and I am sitting it again this year.
How do I make sure my highest score is sent to my unis?
Thanks for any help x

I contacted ACER last year and they supplied me with a contact email whom I requested to do this for me.

Thing was I never heard back from them, even with 2-3 follow-up emails, so I have no idea whether they did it or not as both results fell under the cutoff anyway.
My UKCAT's tomorrow and at 9am. Oh dear. Haven't even had dinner yet.

And my Medify mocks have been pretty average (around 650 -730 in all sections).
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

Good luck!!, Mine was tomorrow too at 11m, but I couldn't make it for the time so had to cancel it and re-arrange. BUT I'm kind of happy as my mocks average was 500!*:frown:

You'll be fine, they are great scores for mocks, hopefully you will get easier Qs than the mocks like others have said the real one is easier. Stay positive and calm :-)

Just relax! You've done the revising so now you just need to work on not panicking! :smile:
Hi just wanted to get someone's opinion, hope someone can help :smile:
I got UKCAT score of 670, it's not exactly great...is it worth applying to any universities requiring UKCAT with this score?
The UKCAT went awful.

My best section during mocks, VR, was 640 (and considering I have a Law degree this really should have been my best section)
Anyway QR was 740 and AR 680.
I'm just so gutted over VR.

So Warwick's off the table and that was the uni I really wanted to go to lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
The UKCAT went awful.

My best section during mocks, VR, was 640 (and considering I have a Law degree this really should have been my best section)
Anyway QR was 740 and AR 680.
I'm just so gutted over VR.

So Warwick's off the table and that was the uni I really wanted to go to lol.

I'm so sorry to hear it didn't go as well as it could have. I really do feel the UKCAT has a lot to do with luck on the day too. *However your overall isn't that bad, I would still apply to warwick, you never know.

Are you taking GAMSAT or BMAT? Which Uni's will you apply to?*
I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't think any of us can draw any conclusions until the deciles have been published though. Don't panic. Are you constrained geographically on where you can go? Although us Arts students are more limited in where we can go, there are loads more options. As Ash123 says, are you doing GAMSAT? Having started looking at the Section I and II material, I think an Arts background will be much more of an analytical advantage than in UKCAT VR. The questions are pretty ambiguous most of the time in UKCAT and it is pure speed, rather than analysis.

Have you considered 5 year? I am applying to a mixture of both to maximise chances. Yes, it is more expensive but there are ways of funding it now and your score would be definitely be competitive for those. Anyway - let's see how the decile rankings turn out!

Original post by 123ash
I'm so sorry to hear it didn't go as well as it could have. I really do feel the UKCAT has a lot to do with luck on the day too. *However your overall isn't that bad, I would still apply to warwick, you never know.

Anyone else just counting down the days until the deciles are released? This is gonna be a long application period

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 123ash

I'm sitting the GAMSAT for the 2nd time in September. I got 58 overall in March but want to try and get at least 62 second time round so at least Nottingham and St Georges are a maybe.

Original post by saward1988
I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't think any of us can draw any conclusions until the deciles have been published though. Don't panic. Are you constrained geographically on where you can go? Although us Arts students are more limited in where we can go, there are loads more options. As Ash123 says, are you doing GAMSAT? Having started looking at the Section I and II material, I think an Arts background will be much more of an analytical advantage than in UKCAT VR. The questions are pretty ambiguous most of the time in UKCAT and it is pure speed, rather than analysis.

Have you considered 5 year? I am applying to a mixture of both to maximise chances. Yes, it is more expensive but there are ways of funding it now and your score would be definitely be competitive for those. Anyway - let's see how the decile rankings turn out!

Well I'm happy to go to med school anywhere. you could put one at the bottom of the ocean and I'd still be up for it lol

If I don't get in this year then in the next round of applications I might apply to Exeter. Depends how things go and when I can start working.

Still no confirmation I'll be starting my job in November.
I sat my UKCAT yesterday, and it's probably all over for this year:

VR: 580
QR: 700
AR: 700
SJT band 1

I'm so disappointed with VR letting the team down! I knew this was my weakness and did all the medify, 1000Q, and Kaplan questions. I was just so nervous at the start of the exam, especially as VR comes first..... Probably going to sit the GAMSAT in March now and try again next year, unless anyone knows of a GEP that would accept a UKCAT score below 700? Thanks

Thanks
Reply 1176
Hi guys,
Sat UKCAT today - VR: 630, QR: 780, VR: 770 - Average: 727. I don't know if this is good enough to apply to any med schools.
Warwick's my first choice, Newcastle 2nd, KCL then Oxford/Southampton (doing BMAT too) and Warwick's minimum intake mark for 2014 was 735 and 700 last year. Don't know if I'm cutting it too fine. Happy with my score - now just a bit deflated.
I don't have a Biology based degree (MChem Chemistry) so limited with options.
Is it still worth applying?

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by map1989
I sat my UKCAT yesterday, and it's probably all over for this year:

VR: 580
QR: 700
AR: 700
SJT band 1

I'm so disappointed with VR letting the team down! I knew this was my weakness and did all the medify, 1000Q, and Kaplan questions. I was just so nervous at the start of the exam, especially as VR comes first..... Probably going to sit the GAMSAT in March now and try again next year, unless anyone knows of a GEP that would accept a UKCAT score below 700? Thanks

Thanks

If funding isn't too much of a problem you could go for the 5yr GEM Uni's, Kings? You could still try Barts, Im not sure but I've read they have a low UKCAT cut off.

I hate VR too! *I have worked so hard to get to the place where I can apply for GEM, and I really didn't think UKCAT would be such a HUGE problem!! I feel i'm guessing all Qs.
Original post by GWHB63
Hi guys,
Sat UKCAT today - VR: 630, QR: 780, VR: 770 - Average: 727. I don't know if this is good enough to apply to any med schools.
Warwick's my first choice, Newcastle 2nd, KCL then Oxford/Southampton (doing BMAT too) and Warwick's minimum intake mark for 2014 was 735 and 700 last year. Don't know if I'm cutting it too fine. Happy with my score - now just a bit deflated.

I think Its a great score! I'd definitely apply and be positive. I know Warwick have a cut off for VR, but other than that your overall average is great. Good luck
Original post by GWHB63
Hi guys,

The 2014 cutoff was an outlier due to the average scores being inflated by issues with the DA section (no longer in UKCAT), so if you compare your score to the averages/cutoffs over the other years you may get a truer representation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending