The Student Room Group

A-Level Reforms, where do Fast Tacks fit in?

Hi,

I'm about to begin studying a couple of fast track A-Levels and should be sitting the exams June 2017, this is so I can proceed on to Uni. I do understand the amount of work this is going to involve but I'm determined to do it :smile:

I'm confused with the reform - do i have to sit the AS and A2 exams in June, or are the AS no longer continuing?
Sorry if i seem a bit dense but its my first taste of AQA etc, all my other qualifications are SQA (Scottish highers, advanced etc)

Any help and advice would be much appreciated :smile:
You do the whole exams in june.

Let me explain.

for example a normal chemistry a level student such as myself has just done 2 as paper this year and i recieved an AS grade, now as i wish to continue that as grade will be delted and i will be submitted for the whole a levl chemistry. Now this summer i will be sitting ( hopefully ) 3 chemistry a level exams and these exams will have diffeent topics tested on in each one, both from as knowledge and a2.

Now as you are doing it in 1 year, you will be doing the a level exams, so if its chemistry you will sit the 3 exams, and for detials on these exams you can go to the specification online, for example chemistry is wuite confusing, as its mixed throuhgout al 3 papers, so all 3 papers will contain both as and a2 knoweldeg but i am aware some courses/ boards will hvae a system so that 1 paper will be AS, 1 will be A2 and one will be a mix.

Hope this helped, if you need any other help or advice let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Which subjects are you intending to do?

If it's a reformed subject then you just sit the A level in 2017 - that will be 3 papers, one of which might be coursework. If you are sitting a subject which is not yet reformed then you will sit all the AS and A2 units next Summer (that's 4 or 6 units, depending on the subject, some of which may be coursework).
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
Which subjects are you intending to do?

If it's a reformed subject then you just sit the A level in 2017 - that will be 3 papers, one of which might be coursework. If you are sitting a subject which is not yet reformed then you will sit all the AS and A2 units next Summer (that's 4 or 6 units, depending on the subject, some of which may be coursework).

Hi, im planning on doing Biology, Psychology and Sociology.
Ah i see, thank you! :smile:
I understand im going to have to do all the practicals for bio in one day, ive found exam centres to take me for all the subjects now, just unsure if all my subjects are the reformed linear ones.
Reply 5
Original post by hoben
Hi, im planning on doing Biology, Psychology and Sociology.
Ah i see, thank you! :smile:
I understand im going to have to do all the practicals for bio in one day, ive found exam centres to take me for all the subjects now, just unsure if all my subjects are the reformed linear ones.

They will all be the reformed ones. You have to do 12 or 14 (can't remember which) practicals which is going to be impossible in one day.

Quick Reply

Latest