The Student Room Group

Failed Maths 2nd time

I was hoping for a damn C and yet I get a D again. Same thing on what happened in school. I did so much damn revision for this subject and I failed again. I was 5 marks off a C which is around 57 as 62 was the PASS. What the heck should I do? I feel like stabbing the daylights out of someone. Should I get it remarked, resit. Or just ditch Maths GCSE and get on with my college because clearly I'm too thick. Also will the grade boundary in November be higher lower or the same?
(edited 7 years ago)
They do say "3rd time lucky"
Keep trying, you'll pass it soon
Reply 2
Original post by frogs r everywhere
You're not "thick". I got a high grade in GCSE Maths and let me tell you, the difference between passing an not passing is the number of practice papers one does. I would resit. Make sure you do a LOT of practice papers this time. Its not too hard to get a C, and many universities require this as a requirement. (5A*'s to C including Maths and English).

Thing is I don't want or need to go to University. I'm doing a vocational course in college. Should I just ditch GCSE maths? How are the grade boundaries going to be in November?
Reply 3
OP don't worry!
It took me 5 times to get a GCSE in maths but I got it am now at university! :smile:
Retake it, take plenty of mock papers, ask someone for help if you get stuck.

Good Luck!
Retake it. Don't look at the fact you don't want to go uni. C grade in maths is always better to have than a D even If the C is achieved after several retakes.

I had to take the exam 3 times during year 11 until I finally pass in June 3 years ago to get that damn C. All it really takes it doing as many past papers as you can, seeing what you're doing wrong and then focusing on doing it right
Reply 6
Original post by katherine9609
Retake it. Don't look at the fact you don't want to go uni. C grade in maths is always better to have than a D even If the C is achieved after several retakes.

I had to take the exam 3 times during year 11 until I finally pass in June 3 years ago to get that damn C. All it really takes it doing as many past papers as you can, seeing what you're doing wrong and then focusing on doing it right

I did do past papers, I even did the same ones twice! I didn't have a stable teacher, I had 4 different teachers in the past year cause the first one got fired and was BAD at teaching. I don't understand how I will even pass with AQA's sky high grade boundary. I remember people from my secondary all of a sudden getting their papers remarked without them known and their grades went from D's to C's. Any chance of this blessing to happen?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
anyone?
Original post by imzeman
I was hoping for a damn C and yet I get a D again. Same thing on what happened in school. I did so much damn revision for this subject and I failed again. I was 5 marks off a C which is around 57 as 62 was the PASS. What the heck should I do? I feel like stabbing the daylights out of someone. Should I get it remarked, resit. Or just ditch Maths GCSE and get on with my college because clearly I'm too thick. Also will the grade boundary in November be higher lower or the same?

Don't give up, it took me twice to get my GCSE maths.

Practice makes perfect.

You just need to keep at it.

Use mathswatch/mymaths/past papers

If i can pass maths and exceed my own expectation considering its not my thing, then anyone can.:smile:

Trust me.
I dont wanna seem like an ass but I really dont get how so many people are failing this subject? Its literally just as simple as read this graph or use this formula to get a C..? Some of the stuff can be a bit challenging yes but you dont need to do all of it to get a C? The grade boundaries are really low for maths compared to other subjects...
Reply 10
Original post by Bernie2016
I dont wanna seem like an ass but I really dont get how so many people are failing this subject? Its literally just as simple as read this graph or use this formula to get a C..? Some of the stuff can be a bit challenging yes but you dont need to do all of it to get a C? The grade boundaries are really low for maths compared to other subjects...

We're not all A* students in maths. We're all different and have atleast one weakness. I guess this one is one of them. I'm sh!te at Maths, no matter how much I revise. Grade Boundaries weren't low for AQA Maths are u kidding me? Grade boundaries for a C went from 55 > 56 > 63. People telling me to retake maths but I'm guessing that the grade boundaries will increase as years go by? idk.
Reply 11
Original post by German123
Don't give up, it took me twice to get my GCSE maths.

Practice makes perfect.

You just need to keep at it.

Use mathswatch/mymaths/past papers

If i can pass maths and exceed my own expectation considering its not my thing, then anyone can.:smile:

Trust me.

First time failing was my fault as I never took GCSE's serious in Yr11. The second time, the time where I actually revised and did past papers even the OLD ones multiple times and I still FAIL. I managed to get a solid C in English which kinda cheers me up but the thing is that I'm dumb at Maths. I'm planning to get a remark if it is possible because for some reason, I have a feeling that AQA messed up my marks. I was 5 Marks off a C. So do you think that I should get my college to send my paper off for another remark?
Original post by imzeman
First time failing was my fault as I never took GCSE's serious in Yr11. The second time, the time where I actually revised and did past papers even the OLD ones multiple times and I still FAIL. I managed to get a solid C in English which kinda cheers me up but the thing is that I'm dumb at Maths. I'm planning to get a remark if it is possible because for some reason, I have a feeling that AQA messed up my marks. I was 5 Marks off a C. So do you think that I should get my college to send my paper off for another remark?

If you feel like something went wrong then get a remark.

Also, if things don't work out with the remark, you should prepare yourself for resitting in November.

Maths is all about practice, you time yourself doing past papers.

Also, maybe get a maths tutor.
Original post by imzeman
We're not all A* students in maths. We're all different and have atleast one weakness. I guess this one is one of them. I'm sh!te at Maths, no matter how much I revise. Grade Boundaries weren't low for AQA Maths are u kidding me? Grade boundaries for a C went from 55 > 56 > 63. People telling me to retake maths but I'm guessing that the grade boundaries will increase as years go by? idk.

I didn't say you had to be an A* student though :/. You dont need to be good at maths to get a C in GCSE maths, the boundary this year was only 31%. Compare that to other subjects and you can clearly see maths boundaries are far lower. People get the idea stuck in their head that they are just bad at maths when really they can do it. I went from a D/C grade to an A* grade in the month before the exam, its not impossible.
Original post by OhGod
OP don't worry!
It took me 5 times to get a GCSE in maths but I got it am now at university! :smile:

How did u do it

Quick Reply

Latest