The Student Room Group

MA now what? confused?

I've just finished my MA in Celtic Studies. My BA was in Classics and Welsh, so want to pursue these areas of study. Classics are suggesting an MRES but have been told that this is equal to a Masters so why would I want to do that.

I kinda thought that my next stage would be to register for an MPhil and see if it was good enough to then go to do a PhD.

Until a few months ago I had never heard of a MRes - is it some form of compromise?
Thanks
It is very field dependent so your supervisor would be the best person to talk to. An MRes is a masters by research and an MPhil is between an MRes (research based) and an MA (taught). If you're interested in research then I'd suggest an MRes but that's just my field.

Edit: Sorry missed the bit about your having done an MA. If so you're already eligible for a PhD as others have said.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by celtic classic
I've just finished my MA in Celtic Studies. My BA was in Classics and Welsh, so want to pursue these areas of study. Classics are suggesting an MRES but have been told that this is equal to a Masters so why would I want to do that.

I kinda thought that my next stage would be to register for an MPhil and see if it was good enough to then go to do a PhD.

Until a few months ago I had never heard of a MRes - is it some form of compromise?
Thanks

Did you write a dissertation of any substantial length and did you get a good grade for it? If yes and yes, then you are equipped to apply for a PhD already. Be very careful making assumptions about the title of Masters degrees, they are not consistent across all institutions, other than those that offer an MRes being research based.

A Masters is usually a pre-requisite for a PhD, but rarely a specific type of Masters. You simply have to demonstrate that you are equipped to handle a large piece of individual research and any decent dissertation (length and grade) should do that.
Reply 3
I agree that you need to speak to your MA programme leader or your dissertation supervisor. The usual step in my field would be direct from MA to PhD, going via an MPhil as an interim but integral part of the PhD. Certainly an MA is viewed as equivalent to an MRes at my current uni (although as above, the actual hierarchy of qualifications can be a movable feast).

A PhD application will require good academic references - excellent ones if you even what a sniff of a funded project (which won't be common in your field). It would serve you well to establish as soon as possible, that you can identify two members of staff around your MA who will recommend you for a PhD, as enthusiastically as possible. A chat with them should clarify your next step.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending