The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jesus camp?

Isn't this largely what Jesus camp is for? :K:
So what? Whatever someone is, they are whatever they are. If that makes grammatical sense.

If my son said that he would prefer to be in the body of a female I wouldn't mind one bit. Whatever (shouldn't really use that term; it's rather subjective) he would be happy as is more important than potentially obstructive, personal opinion. Life should be lived the way you want to, and the life of your son should patently come before your own, including doing whatever to fulfil theirs as much as possible.

Of course, I may feel some trepidation. He would be going through a procedure many have opposition to and any rational person would hold no such feeling towards it. As a result, as a she, he would be entering a world with persons who would negatively judge him and I would be afraid of how he, as a she, would be perceived.

In summary, all these issues would be discussed thoroughly with him but I would give him complete support in whatever he wants to do.
Original post by ivybridge

I have drank, I don't drink very often at all.

****ing idiot that's got lucky so far?

What does that have to do with anything? From what I've read, it seems to me that the rate is higher because of the level of problems the LGBTQIA+ community faces socially. Many gay people try and escape or lose hope and turn to those substances, which cause them harm.

I'm confused how someone that clearly understands and has experienced prejudice can be so blind to their own even when that prejudice disproportionately impacts the very same group you seek to defend from prejudice.
"Ok".

To me, it'd mean very little. (same if my child turned out homosexual/bisexual) I would happily pay for their transition surgery if that's what they wish to have, and I'd continue to support them as I would regardless.
If I had a transgender kid, then I would be fully supportive of them, because all I'd want for, well, anyone really, not just my own flesh and blood, is for them to be happy and comfortable with themselves, as long as this doesn't involve illegal activities.

However, this does not mean I'd allow them to jump immediately into hormones and surgeries, because the majority of people who regret doing these things are people that never saw any professionals, or only saw one for a short time, so I'd make sure my kid understands all of the options available for them to avoid that kind of scenario. I also understand that transgendered people can start hormones from the age of 16 in the UK, however, I'd probably prefer that they wait until they're about 20, so that they know they're not being influenced by hormones from puberty any more (as for some teenagers who come out as trans, it is just a phase). Of course, this does not mean that I won't do everything I can to make them feel comfortable until then.
Original post by Trapz99
"No matter how you dress or whatever hormones you take, you will always be a man because God made you as a man. You're just deluded and only faith in Jesus Christ can help you."

I would not allow him to dress like a woman under any circumstances. It would be unloving for me, as his Father, to allow him to continue living a life of delusion.

# Trapz99;67201190 --JUST SUPPORT DADDY...
Original post by Mathemagicien
Now I'm confused; you refer to your transgender friend as "her", but I was under the impression that she is a female-to-male trans-person?

When she was playing with Action Men, it was a her, now they're a he :smile:
Reply 187
Original post by Trapz99
"No matter how you dress or whatever hormones you take, you will always be a man because God made you as a man. You're just deluded and only faith in Jesus Christ can help you."

I would not allow him to dress like a woman under any circumstances. It would be unloving for me, as his Father, to allow him to continue living a life of delusion.

There is nothing in our religion (you are Christian I pressume) that states anything for or against an individuals gender identity. So you must forgive me for wondering where this idea of 'delusion' has come from, for surely it has not come from the religion which you do so appear to be hiding behind.
Reply 188
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I would nail him to my cross.. he must pay for his sins

Don't mean to sound rude, but do you realise what the cross symbolises in Christianity?
Original post by Trapz99

Christianity requires us to respect every human being and so we should respect their decisions to become a member of the LGBT community?
Original post by blue n white army
I'd be fine with it, as long as they are fine with being removed from my will and moving out of my house.

damn you a ****ing savage
I can't believe some people have the audacity to claim that people who support this are stopping freedom of speech and being politically correct. I am all for free speech and you are entitled to your opinions but the way some people are going about this, it's as if the LGBT community should be removed altogether. It should be a RIGHT and we shouldn't have to bring political correctness into this because it's the LAW to not discriminate! The same goes for racism, antisemitism, etc. Freedom of speech needs limits if you think it should extend to open hostility because I'm afraid that's where the line needs to be drawn.
Original post by Cali8re
Before they are even born?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. These children will exist in the future. They are yet to be born.
Original post by Trapz99

Gosh, you sound so sympathetic.
Original post by dingleberry jam
****ing idiot that's got lucky so far?

I'm confused how someone that clearly understands and has experienced prejudice can be so blind to their own even when that prejudice disproportionately impacts the very same group you seek to defend from prejudice.

That would be because I'm actually not doing that.
That would be because I'm actually not doing that.

Course you are. You think all drug users are ***** despite the vast majority of drug users not causing you, themselves or anyone else any harm, despite the fact that many troubled individuals turn to drugs as an escape and need help rather than being labelled *****. I can't see how it's any different to labelling all trans people *****.
Original post by _gcx
Gosh, you sound so sympathetic.

I do sound sympathetic because I want them to embrace the truth and reject falsehood.
Original post by supernerdural
To any trans (and nb) people reading this horrible horrible thread: most people in the real world are not like this. TSR is ****ing toxic, I mean come on people debate whether poor people should be allowed to breed fgs. Don't let these bigots make you afraid of coming out, or let their despicable words push you towards self harm or suicide. In the real world, the majority of the people who see it as an issue won't say horrible things like this, and if they do it is a hate crime and you can go to the police. Please do not feel unsafe. The world is a scary place, but don't let these hideous monsters change anything in your life.

Been reading this thread and I just felt I had to respond to this.

Alternative opinions are not toxic. Asking questions are not toxic. It's called a discussion and for someone who is presumably in education I would hope you will have had the maturity to tackle issues from an intellectual perspective.

Lol at the suggestion for people ringing up the police because something on the internet - a person's opinion - upset them.

This is why, apart from a couple of people I can most definitely trust, I would refuse to associate myself with SJWs.

In response to the question, heaven knows. But I do second comments such as thinking what have I done wrong.
Original post by dingleberry jam
Course you are. You think all drug users are ***** despite the vast majority of drug users not causing you, themselves or anyone else any harm, despite the fact that many troubled individuals turn to drugs as an escape and need help rather than being labelled *****. I can't see how it's any different to labelling all trans people *****.

Drug users are damaging themselves. It's a well known fact that illegal drugs lead to severe health problems. No parent should be fine with their child taking drugs. They should try and stop the child from taking drugs and sometimes the tough approach is needed.
Original post by Trapz99
Drug users are damaging themselves. It's a well known fact that illegal drugs lead to severe health problems. .

Can lead to health problems.* Most drug use doesn't.

Latest