The Student Room Group

Accessible accommodation/ changing circumstances

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has been in this situation and, if so, if you could give me any advice.

I'm going into my second year at university in September. I told my uni I would need accessible (i.e ground floor) accommodation around March this year. They were fairly unhelpful and I have ended up with a room which is up a flight of stairs and on a different level to my bathroom and kitchen :frown: This was, obviously, far from ideal but I accepted it anyway as I couldn't see them changing their minds, even though they were fully aware of the potential problems this could present.

Over the summer, though, my condition has gotten much worse and I am struggling with the stairs in my own home (which I would be using much less often than those at uni, only two or three times a day). I will hopefully be getting a more accurate diagnosis in the near future, just in time for going back, but I'm wondering if there's any point contacting them at the moment.

If I contact them now- without the new diagnosis- I'm worried they'll completely disregard me and I'll end up in the rubbish room anyway. If I wait for the diagnosis to be made before I do, it will probably be too late and I'll end up in the rubbish room anyway.

Sorry is this is a bit of a rant, I'm just annoyed that they couldn't just have sorted it out properly in the first place and saved all the hassle now :frown:
Have you contacted the disability support team at your uni about this?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you contacted the disability support team at your uni about this?

At the moment I'm a little hesitant because I agreed to the arrangements literally just before the end of term so I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it
Original post by OreganoLightbulb
At the moment I'm a little hesitant because I agreed to the arrangements literally just before the end of term so I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it

My situation is different (I needed to live on campus) but had a similar situation. I was given accommodation quite far away. I accepted so I at least had somewhere to live. I contacted both the accommodation and disability offices and explained that this place wasn't suitable because I needed to live close to campus. I then received an email saying they'd offered me somewhere much closer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending