The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Politics at University of Surrey

Hello!!!, first post of mine - Just wanted to gather some opinions from anyone who has experience of studying or currently studies Politics at the University of Surrey? How have you find the career services at the University?
Is accommodation expensive?
Original post by NemSavadia
Hello!!!, first post of mine - Just wanted to gather some opinions from anyone who has experience of studying or currently studies Politics at the University of Surrey? How have you find the career services at the University?
Is accommodation expensive?

Hey! Thanks for your question, Politics at Surrey grad here.

I've just completed my 4-year degree at Surrey which included a "Professional Training", also known as "Placement" or "Sandwich" year in industry. I spent a year working with some Select Committees at the House of Commons, and I am now a full-time civil servant in Parliament.

Career services-wise, Surrey is actually award-winning. Last year, the employability team was given the award for Best University Careers/Employability Service in the UK. As soon as you join Surrey you are given access to an online portal called "Pathfinder" which is where you can find jobs suitable for a Placement, or a Graduate role, in addition to access to online CV resources. You can also speak to our employability team at a time suitable to you by attending a drop-in appointment to chat through a job application or ask for generic career advice. Also, you can access this career support for a couple of years after you have graduated at no extra cost to you.

I'd also add that the Politics Department at the University frequently puts on networking events for students to mix with recent graduates.

Now onto accommodation - we have several "bands" of accommodation at Surrey that enable you to live on either our Stag Hill or Manor Park campus. Depending on your circumstances, you'll most likely find that one of these bands suits your affordability requirement. You also have the option of renting with a private landlord, and our Students Union are able to provide advice on that.

If you are applying for next year, I'd recommend you check out the Department at one of our open days! If you are coming in September, then we look forward to welcoming you to campus.

Here are some links that might be useful:
Accomodation: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation
Employability: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/employability-and-careers

Best of luck,
Ellen
BSc International Relations / Politics
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending