The Student Room Group

Can I enrol at 2 colleges?

I've just finished my GCSEs and on results day I enrolled at the sixth from attached to my school. However, I am unsure if I still want to go there. A careers advisor said you can enrol then not turn up and your place will be cancelled, but I have heard very conflicting information from the other college stating once you've enrolled you have to study there?

Has anyone else enrolled at two colleges/sixth forms and was able to cancel their place, or can ou cancel your place once you've enrolled at two colleges?

Many thanks,
George
Reply 1
well if you enrol at 2 colleges and the fact is true, then they can't expect you to go to both can they... :wink: so I'm pretty sure if you enrol to both then just cancel which one you don't want to do then they can't really do much!
Reply 2
Original post by BH1234
well if you enrol at 2 colleges and the fact is true, then they can't expect you to go to both can they... :wink: so I'm pretty sure if you enrol to both then just cancel which one you don't want to do then they can't really do much!

I guess so but could I be charged if they've added to the register etc. (Just out of spite)
Reply 3
Original post by wellsy2000
I guess so but could I be charged if they've added to the register etc. (Just out of spite)

they can charge you?! in that case i wouldn't bother:wink:
Reply 4
I've just finished my GCSEs and on results day I enrolled at the sixth from attached to my school. However, I am unsure if I still want to go there. A careers advisor said you can enrol then not turn up and your place will be cancelled, but I have heard very conflicting information from the other college stating once you've enrolled you have to study there?

Has anyone else enrolled at two colleges/sixth forms and was able to cancel their place, or can ou cancel your place once you've enrolled at two colleges?

Many thanks,
George

I enrolled at two, and then when they both accepted me, i went to the better one, and cancelled my application with the other one. It is recommended (by me0 that you enrol at more than one, so then you have a choice. It's perfectly allowed.
I'm not sure you will have officially enrolled yet.Some colleges will offer you a place and you can verbally accept, maybe fill in a form or two, but you don't actually fully enrol until weeks later once you have 100% firmed your subject choices and can be registered for your exams. At least, that's what it has been like in the two colleges I've been to. There is a lot of moving around in the first few weeks at sixth form for most students. Loads of people drop out and go elsewhere in the beginning, before or after enrolment. They can't force you to take your exams with them. I would say if you want to move colleges, go. They're right, you can always just not turn up or drop them an email. You have to make sure you're choosing the right college for you, you are going to be there for the next two years after all! Good luck with college!
Reply 6

Many thanks,
George

I enrolled at my school's sixth form and a college. I only did it because i thought i would be able to study a certain subject i wanted to do at college which turned out to not be true. One enrolled at both you should have a long think about it and decide which one you want to go to, you can then call or email them and say you no longer want to go. You can't be forced to go, because you can only attend one.
Reply 7
Original post by Kyx
I enrolled at two, and then when they both accepted me, i went to the better one, and cancelled my application with the other one. It is recommended (by me0 that you enrol at more than one, so then you have a choice. It's perfectly allowed.

That's brilliant thank you
Reply 8
Original post by brxvebird
I'm not sure you will have officially enrolled yet.Some colleges will offer you a place and you can verbally accept, maybe fill in a form or two, but you don't actually fully enrol until weeks later once you have 100% firmed your subject choices and can be registered for your exams. At least, that's what it has been like in the two colleges I've been to. There is a lot of moving around in the first few weeks at sixth form for most students. Loads of people drop out and go elsewhere in the beginning, before or after enrolment. They can't force you to take your exams with them. I would say if you want to move colleges, go. They're right, you can always just not turn up or drop them an email. You have to make sure you're choosing the right college for you, you are going to be there for the next two years after all! Good luck with college!

Thank you very much. I was worried they would have registered me for exams but there is a lot of subject movement, according to the head, in the first couple of weeks so that makes sense
Reply 9
Original post by Song2
I enrolled at my school's sixth form and a college. I only did it because i thought i would be able to study a certain subject i wanted to do at college which turned out to not be true. One enrolled at both you should have a long think about it and decide which one you want to go to, you can then call or email them and say you no longer want to go. You can't be forced to go, because you can only attend one.

That's the same situation I'm in. Thanks

Many thanks,
George

I had offers from 5 different schools including my current school for sixth form. On results day I just chose which one I wanted to go to and sent emails to the other schools confirming my rejection.
Reply 11
Yes so all you have to do is call them to cancel your place, they can't force you to go if you enrol at 2 colleges, my place has now been cancelled :smile:
Enrolling in both is fine, but I'd suggest cancelling by email instead of leaving them to deduce you're not going.

Many thanks,
George

I enrolled at 3 colleges. Just phone the one/s you don't want to go to. Totally fine.

Quick Reply

Latest