The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone aged 18-20 currently studying or going to study at OU?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShinigamiGin
Hi i'm Gin and 19 and planning to start part time degree in business management at OU in Oct. Just wondering if there's anyone in my age group going to OU or if i'm the only young one here :cry2:

Hi i'm also 19 so you're not alone haha :smile: Im going to be studying the access module and then onto criminology and law :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 41
I'm 21, and was just about apply through clearing when I thought about OU. Are OU degrees actually recognised as real degrees?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
I'm 21, and was just about apply through clearing when I thought about OU. Are OU degrees actually recognised as real degrees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yes they are recognised as real degrees which is so good! Its recognised as one of the top universities too, I start in October and the registration for applying ends on the 8th September.. What are you looking to study? :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by sophiaprestonx
Hi, yes they are recognised as real degrees which is so good! Its recognised as one of the top universities too, I start in October and the registration for applying ends on the 8th September.. What are you looking to study? :smile:

Ahh awesome just I've read conflicting things about them.

I'm kinda torn between doing computing It and Business Degree, environmental science and technology or doing a HNC, then HND then a top up.

Reason I consider the HNC/D route is because if after a year I decide to stop, I have a qualification I can leave with. Get employed with and the go back at any stage. With the top up it still becomes a full degree, but it, IMO is the smarter route.

What're you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
Ahh awesome just I've read conflicting things about them.

I'm kinda torn between doing computing It and Business Degree, environmental science and technology or doing a HNC, then HND then a top up.

Reason I consider the HNC/D route is because if after a year I decide to stop, I have a qualification I can leave with. Get employed with and the go back at any stage. With the top up it still becomes a full degree, but it, IMO is the smarter route.

What're you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have read some things too but i suppose you get that anywhere really but I will have to see when I start haha :tongue:
Oh wow thats good!! I will have to look into that because I'm going to do an access module to start with which is the People, Work and Society because I'm still unsure of what I want to study.. I have registered for BA Honours Criminology and Law but i don't know weather i want to do Psychology and Law, or if I wanted to go into computing and IT.. Im a bit of a nightmare with it all really as i am forever changing my mind :biggrin: but this access course looks at children and young people; health; law; management; psychology; and social science to prepare you for a range of qualification and will study four themes: Individuals; Families and relationships; Organisations and communities; and Society.

So i will be able to get a rough idea of what i want to do there are other access courses available also.. but I'm difficult ha ha :smile:

What other uni's were you looking at other than the Open University?
Reply 45
Yeah I have read some things too but i suppose you get that anywhere really but I will have to see when I start haha :tongue:
Oh wow thats good!! I will have to look into that because I'm going to do an access module to start with which is the People, Work and Society because I'm still unsure of what I want to study.. I have registered for BA Honours Criminology and Law but i don't know weather i want to do Psychology and Law, or if I wanted to go into computing and IT.. Im a bit of a nightmare with it all really as i am forever changing my mind :biggrin: but this access course looks at children and young people; health; law; management; psychology; and social science to prepare you for a range of qualification and will study four themes: Individuals; Families and relationships; Organisations and communities; and Society.

So i will be able to get a rough idea of what i want to do there are other access courses available also.. but I'm difficult ha ha :smile:

What other uni's were you looking at other than the Open University?

I did an access to forensic science at Bournemouth and Poole college in 2014. I'm considering Bournemouth Uni to do either forensic computing ad security or forensic investigation. I'm like you, I change my mind daily.

I don't know what I want. So considering one of their open degrees where you pick the units and tailor a degree to suit you, but worried if it haven't completed a full degree in a subject, just a couple modules of each it won't be worth much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
I did an access to forensic science at Bournemouth and Poole college in 2014. I'm considering Bournemouth Uni to do either forensic computing ad security or forensic investigation. I'm like you, I change my mind daily.

I don't know what I want. So considering one of their open degrees where you pick the units and tailor a degree to suit you, but worried if it haven't completed a full degree in a subject, just a couple modules of each it won't be worth much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! See I was going to go back to college in september and then go to Bournemouth uni next year but then i thought of the OU.. Its so annoying because I'm scared what if i apply and do the loans and that and then not like the course!! Im a nightmare.. I think a couple of modules are worth more than nothing!! You should ring up and ask about it? I was also going to do the Open degree too.. What are we like?! :K: Its kind of reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who is confused of what they want lol if that makes sense lol !
Reply 47
Oh wow! See I was going to go back to college in september and then go to Bournemouth uni next year but then i thought of the OU.. Its so annoying because I'm scared what if i apply and do the loans and that and then not like the course!! Im a nightmare.. I think a couple of modules are worth more than nothing!! You should ring up and ask about it? I was also going to do the Open degree too.. What are we like?! :K: Its kind of reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who is confused of what they want lol if that makes sense lol !

You mention not liking the course, but this is why the HNC/D is a good option, if you don't like it, start again in 2nd year but you do have a qualification from the first, so you aren't leaving with nothing.

You mention going to Bournemouth, are you from Bournemouth?

OU would work better for me as I could study alongside work. But I do wonder if I'm too lazy or unmotivated to actually study at home 😂

Though I don't think they do HNC or HND and I don't know how recognised DipHE or CertHE are
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by l14muk
You mention not liking the course, but this is why the HNC/D is a good option, if you don't like it, start again in 2nd year but you do have a qualification from the first, so you aren't leaving with nothing.

You mention going to Bournemouth, are you from Bournemouth?

OU would work better for me as I could study alongside work. But I do wonder if I'm too lazy or unmotivated to actually study at home 😂

Though I don't think they do HNC or HND and I don't know how recognised DipHE or CertHE are

Yeah thats what i mean you have confused me even more !!!!! Hahhahaha no I'm joking. It seems a really good idea I'm quite interested in it. do you know if the OU do that? Ill have a look on the site now!
Im from Warminster, Wiltshire but i go to Bournemouth ALOT!! Love the place haha, where are you from ? :smile:
Yeah i know i didn't like the idea of going to uni and not working full time.. but then I've got to find the motivation also to study at home. I spend my lifetime sleeping hahah!! So I'm not too sure if this is a good idea in that sense :tongue:
Reply 49
Yeah thats what i mean you have confused me even more !!!!! Hahhahaha no I'm joking. It seems a really good idea I'm quite interested in it. do you know if the OU do that? Ill have a look on the site now!
Im from Warminster, Wiltshire but i go to Bournemouth ALOT!! Love the place haha, where are you from ? :smile:
Yeah i know i didn't like the idea of going to uni and not working full time.. but then I've got to find the motivation also to study at home. I spend my lifetime sleeping hahah!! So I'm not too sure if this is a good idea in that sense :tongue:

That's why I worry, I'm either asleep or at work 😂

I'm from the new forest, and work in Bournemouth. I keep coming back to the idea of the open degree. I like that with the OU, beta use you do it at your own pace you have upto 16years to do it, so if you need some time out you can.

There are people out there that know what they want and how to get it, I hate those people 😂 (I'm joking, but seriously you know what you want in 10 years, and I dont even know what to watch next on Netflix😂)

Think I'm gonna call a OU advisor tomorrow and speak to them, I'll post on here after :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
That's why I worry, I'm either asleep or at work 😂

I'm from the new forest, and work in Bournemouth. I keep coming back to the idea of the open degree. I like that with the OU, beta use you do it at your own pace you have upto 16years to do it, so if you need some time out you can.

There are people out there that know what they want and how to get it, I hate those people 😂 (I'm joking, but seriously you know what you want in 10 years, and I dont even know what to watch next on Netflix😂)

Think I'm gonna call a OU advisor tomorrow and speak to them, I'll post on here after :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the exact same with me I love my sleep 😂😂
Oh cool, I'm looking to stay at the new forest camp site in a week or two!! Love that place!
Yeah right 😂😂😂 next thing you know they're the top lawyers and have amazing jobs and I'm here like ... 😐 How did you get that?! 😂😂
Yeah defo, let me know how it goes!! I'll be your ou friend if you do decide to join! 😂
Reply 51
That's the exact same with me I love my sleep 😂😂
Oh cool, I'm looking to stay at the new forest camp site in a week or two!! Love that place!
Yeah right 😂😂😂 next thing you know they're the top lawyers and have amazing jobs and I'm here like ... 😐 How did you get that?! 😂😂
Yeah defo, let me know how it goes!! I'll be your ou friend if you do decide to join! 😂

I think I have made my mind up tbh. I'm going to do a BSc (Hons) Open Degree. I've just had a read through a lot of the units on there, because I don't know what I want yet, I'm going to do TU100 My digital life and S111 Questions in science. Because they're the two fields I'm interested in, I can do both for year one, then potentially focus on just one for year 2 and 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
I think I have made my mind up tbh. I'm going to do a BSc (Hons) Open Degree. I've just had a read through a lot of the units on there, because I don't know what I want yet, I'm going to do TU100 My digital life and S111 Questions in science. Because they're the two fields I'm interested in, I can do both for year one, then potentially focus on just one for year 2 and 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that sounds good doesn't it!? Are you going to be starting in October?
Reply 53
Oh that sounds good doesn't it!? Are you going to be starting in October?

Yes. I called them today, as long as I post my student finance application this week it should approve in time, yay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by l14muk
Yes. I called them today, as long as I post my student finance application this week it should approve in time, yay!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay that's good !! You can help me now if I get stuck 😂😂
I'm 19 and will be studying Law full time! :smile: I was really upset about not being able to deal with brick unis, but now that I've learnt more about OU, I'm actually excited - it looks sort of perfect for me.
Are you guys living with your parents? Are you worried about your social lives while at Uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by daffodilreality
I'm 19 and will be studying Law full time! :smile: I was really upset about not being able to deal with brick unis, but now that I've learnt more about OU, I'm actually excited - it looks sort of perfect for me.
Are you guys living with your parents? Are you worried about your social lives while at Uni?

I live with my parents, I'm not too worried about a social life, I was home schooled so don't have a massive circle of friends. But I'm working full time alongside so still get a nice amount of interaction with other people.

The social aspect of brick uni wouldn't bother me as I don't live near the uni and I couldn't handle halls (OCD and other anxiety issues), so wouldn't do too much with people there anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi i'm also 19 so you're not alone haha :smile: Im going to be studying the access module and then onto criminology and law :smile:

ooo nice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest