The Student Room Group

PhD at UCL

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some advice; I'm starting a PhD at UCL, at the end of September - I need a laptop - does anyone know if UCL/CDT provide a laptop or even provide something towards to the cost of the laptop?

I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum; if not, then could someone please suggest where I could post this/get this information from?

Thanks,
Natalie
Err no! If you need a laptop you're going to have to get one yourself. You can get a discount if it's ordered through the uni though. Usually PhD students get a desk and a computer but it depends on the subject and dept.
Reply 2
Thank you for this advice!
Reply 3
As you're referring to CDTs: one CDT at Cambridge provides the students with laptops, and another one offers financial support for a laptop purchase (I think the second one used to buy the laptops for the students as well but recently changed to just giving out money). So if you think there might be a reason that your CDT provides you with a laptop, ask the administrators directly.
Reply 4
Original post by tj23
As you're referring to CDTs: one CDT at Cambridge provides the students with laptops, and another one offers financial support for a laptop purchase (I think the second one used to buy the laptops for the students as well but recently changed to just giving out money). So if you think there might be a reason that your CDT provides you with a laptop, ask the administrators directly.

Perfect, thank you.
My university offered me a laptop with my funding (or its equivalent value in cash to purchase one I preferred). Lots of doctorate stipends/CDTs come with a personal laptop in STEM subjects. A quick google shows other departments/courses that provide laptops, for example Newcastle's Geography, Politics and Sociology department.

A lot of the time things like this are not directly stated on university websites, so just ask your specific department.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by macromicro
No need to be rude.

My university offered me a laptop with my funding (or its equivalent value in cash to purchase one I preferred). Lots of doctorate stipends/CDTs come with a personal laptop in STEM subjects. A quick google shows other departments/courses that provide laptops, for example Newcastle's Geography, Politics and Sociology department.

A lot of the time things like this are not directly stated on university websites, so just ask your specific department.

Yeah, I thought it was best that I emailed them to check! Thank you for your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending