The Student Room Group

Can I do Law?

I'm thinking that my final predictions will be BBB or maybe ABB. Can I do a Law degree at a decent university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What do you class at a decent university?
Original post by Pugglet
What do you class at a decent university?

I guess like top 50?
Reply 3
Most Want 2 or 3 A. but it varies uni to uni really
Go and look at Heap on university grades and that shows you typical offers, so you cna figure out where that would get you. ABB might be enough although the typical one is AAB or higher.
Original post by leprechaun_100
I guess like top 50?

Liverpool accepts ABB. I thought Surrey, Sussex and Kent would take ABB too but I just checked and they've all upped their requirements. Pretty sure Cardiff used to take ABB also but they've increased their requirements too
You can check entry requirements online and answer your own question.
With ABB you can get into a good uni for Law. Liverpool, a Russell Group, wants ABB, for example.
I have found decent unis for law that ask for BBB :biggrin:
Original post by govtandpolitics
I have found decent unis for law that ask for BBB :biggrin:

ooh which omes??!!
Have a look at Leicester too. Also, Lancaster went in clearing and asked for BBB this year, so they don't seem to be in a position where they can afford not to give places out.

Actually, I am surprised how even crap universities like UEA upped their Law requirements to AAA. How can they expect anyone to apply?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Yes do look at Leicester, arguably the best for Law outside the Russell Group. They offer at AAB but are probably lenient as they are usually in clearing. Arguably go for them ahead of Liverpool which is Russell Group and ABB because Liverpool's reputation in the Russell Group is very questionable due to its very high grade leniency.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ORW
Yes do look at Leicester, arguably the best for Law outside the Russell Group. They offer at AAB but are probably lenient as they are usually in clearing. Arguably go for them ahead of Liverpool which is Russell Group and ABB because Liverpool's reputation in the Russell Group is very questionable due to its very high grade leniency.

Liverpool make for a great insurance option, though. I've heard of people being accepted with BBD on ABB courses, so they really are desperate.
Reply 13
Original post by BIGJohnson777
Liverpool make for a great insurance option, though. I've heard of people being accepted with BBD on ABB courses, so they really are desperate.

Heard that too but it really does not make it worth the students effort as there will then be the 'how on earth did you get in label for them' if they did get much lower and worsen's their career prospects.
Original post by BIGJohnson777

are all of these known to lead to decent careers though? or would i have to do a masters at a better uni later?
don't bother with Law unless its at a top 10 uni.
Reply 16
are all of these known to lead to decent careers though? or would i have to do a masters at a better uni later?

Liverpool is probably the worst in the Russell Group. It depends on what law firms you aspire to go to if you want to go into law. If it was for more regional or national, Liverpool would not be a problem. If its commercial law in the city then you would be quite disadvantaged. Leicester, despite not being RG, has a fair record with the city law firms but not as good as the Russell Group bar Liverpool. If you could get AAB and go to Leicester you'd be better off than ABB or below at Liverpool in my opinion.
Reply 17
I'm all for the Russell Group etc but I would not quite say the best firms are cut off to the top 10 only. Better chances, but not the whole story. Top 30 would be the cut off as the likes of Southampton (Uni of Southampton) do get city TCs, not as high as UCL or LSE obviously but they still do get them.
ooh which omes??!!

University of Law and Edge Hill :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending