The Student Room Group

Can I do Law?

Scroll to see replies

You can get into solid Russell groups with BBB grades but you will receive a AAA offer. It's all posturing and because of the abolition of caps concerning student numbers and the ABB requirement it's a buyers market. I wouldn't worry
Original post by neal95
You can get into solid Russell groups with BBB grades but you will receive a AAA offer. It's all posturing and because of the abolition of caps concerning student numbers and the ABB requirement it's a buyers market. I wouldn't worry

That's a bit misleading since it is not common at all if you are talking about AAA RG courses.
A friend from my college who applied to Newcastle (which is just an average RG university) narrowly missed his AAA offer by getting AAB and got rejected straight away, even though they actually went into clearing.
Original post by BIGJohnson777
That's a bit misleading since it is not common at all if you are talking about AAA RG courses.
A friend from my college who applied to Newcastle (which is just an average RG university) narrowly missed his AAA offer by getting AAB and got rejected straight away, even though they actually went into clearing.

Well Sheffield this year and last accepted people with BBB, as did QMUL and other universities I haven't heard about. Once you get the offer and have done a good personal statement they can often take you. However it obviously Dosent apply to all of them, as seen with Newcastle and Birmingham uni.
Original post by neal95
Well Sheffield this year and last accepted people with BBB, as did QMUL and other universities I haven't heard about. Once you get the offer and have done a good personal statement they can often take you. However it obviously Dosent apply to all of them, as seen with Newcastle and Birmingham uni.

I thought of Sheffield as a good university before they gave an unconditional to someone who had CDDU at AS and no prospects of improving at A2 whatsoever, but it is incredibly unpredictable so I wouldn't advise OP to count on it.
Original post by BIGJohnson777
I thought of Sheffield as a good university before they gave an unconditional to someone who had CDDU at AS and no prospects of improving at A2 whatsoever, but it is incredibly unpredictable so I wouldn't advise OP to count on it.

I think the main point of Information that op needs to take away is that it is possible to get into a solid Russell group (other than Liverpool) with those grades, and Dosent need to lower their gaze to Lancaster or Leicester or wherever. Sheffield is a very solid school with good prospects for graduates and you will find lawyers in most top firms from Sheffield. Many students opt to stay around the region post graduation though or become barristers, and this does affect the numbers seen in city firms. Then again, I will agree that Sheffield probably isn't one of the universities where students are really concerned about their careers compared to places like Manchester and Warwick who have top notch law societies which arrange events with firms and commercial awareness societies
Reply 25
Original post by neal95
I think the main point of Information that op needs to take away is that it is possible to get into a solid Russell group (other than Liverpool) with those grades, and Dosent need to lower their gaze to Lancaster or Leicester or wherever. Sheffield is a very solid school with good prospects for graduates and you will find lawyers in most top firms from Sheffield. Many students opt to stay around the region post graduation though or become barristers, and this does affect the numbers seen in city firms. Then again, I will agree that Sheffield probably isn't one of the universities where students are really concerned about their careers compared to places like Manchester and Warwick who have top notch law societies which arrange events with firms and commercial awareness societies

Birmingham would possibly be viable in the sense of despite having to do the LNAT and its an AAA offer, but come results day they are known to be lenient on missing offers. Exeter and Newcastle are as tight as. Manchester (where I'm going) was not in clearing this year and was really tight they accepted no less than AAB for those who missed the AAA offer this year. Sheffield still is not bad, not as good as Manchester, but then Manchester is not as good as Warwick. Sheffield still gets its fair share of city and MC TCs. Yeah I can vouch for Warwick and Manchester with their law societies (friend goes to Warwick). Manchester's law society is sponsored by and coordinated with the following this year;

Allen & Overy (MC), Ashurst, Baker & McKenzie, Squire Patton Boggs, Linklaters (MC), Norton Rose Fulbright, Latham & Watkins (US), Hogan Lovells, Macfarlanes, Slaughter & May (MC) and King & Wood Mallesons.

Warwick's is sponsored by similar and more elite US firms. Warwick are also better in the sense they have a commercial law society in addition to their main law society, plus a very good Bar society. Get some good ECs and commercial awareness, you're pretty much sorted at Warwick. However, saying that, my friend there who has A*AA at A level failed to get Hogan Lovells campus ambassador position for Warwick, mainly due to the critical reasoning tests, and also a 1st year scheme at Berwin Leighton Paiser. Competition is tough of course. I would not advise Warwick to OP though only because of little grade leniency and possibly unlikelihood of an offer.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending