The Student Room Group

could you get into oxford without a 4th AS (realistically)

I've just started year 12 and the A-Levels I am doing are Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My 4th option was RS (Judaism, philosophy and ethics) but my school couldn't accommodate this with my other subjects. The ones I could choose from are options that I know I would not enjoy and just doing it for the sake of an AS, which I really do not want to do. I considered physics as I am good at it but I really don't enjoy it and my other subjects already require a lot of work.

I know that an AS isn't in Oxford's requirements but do you still have a good chance of getting in without one? I will have work experience, volunteering etc and I'm also doing an EPQ and general studies. I got 11A* and 1A at GCSE including further maths.
I know that without a 4th option I will have more time on my 3 subjects so feel I would get better grades in them too, aiming for at least A*AA for medicine at a top uni.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
bump
I'm in year 12 as well and I don't see why not. AS levels are not that valuable and as long as you have a good personal statement and meet the criteria once you get an offer I don't see why not. But, I'm not an expert.
Reply 4
You DO NOT NEED a 4th A level. Their requirements state AAA minimum. No courses need 4 A levels.
Reply 5
I dont see any problem, your GCSEs are amazing, you will have an EPQ, and shown dedication. Get on well with your teachers and get a good reference and personal statement and pass the UKCAT/ BMAT (whatever oxford want) and you should have no problem
Original post by jazz_xox_
I've just started year 12 and the A-Levels I am doing are Biology, Chemistry and Maths. My 4th option was RS (Judaism, philosophy and ethics) but my school couldn't accommodate this with my other subjects. The ones I could choose from are options that I know I would not enjoy and just doing it for the sake of an AS, which I really do not want to do. I considered physics as I am good at it but I really don't enjoy it and my other subjects already require a lot of work.

I know that an AS isn't in Oxford's requirements but do you still have a good chance of getting in without one? I will have work experience, volunteering etc and I'm also doing an EPQ and general studies. I got 11A* and 1A at GCSE including further maths.
I know that without a 4th option I will have more time on my 3 subjects so feel I would get better grades in them too, aiming for at least A*AA for medicine at a top uni.

I'm not a medic so I won't be able to offer much, but the inconvenient truth is that you'll be competing against people who do have it - and Oxford will consider that better than you. But if you can make up for it elsewhere, you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by gregy521
You DO NOT NEED a 4th A level. Their requirements state AAA minimum. No courses need 4 A levels.
what about an AS? do you think i would be disadvantaged without it?
Reply 8
Original post by asinghj
I dont see any problem, your GCSEs are amazing, you will have an EPQ, and shown dedication. Get on well with your teachers and get a good reference and personal statement and pass the UKCAT/ BMAT (whatever oxford want) and you should have no problem

thank you, some unis do say they want an AS-level but its not part of the actual offer, what do you think about this?
I think it's fine to not have a 4th AS. Most universities are only interested in good results in 3 A levels, but it might be different for oxford. A lot of schools don't actually do AS levels any more though (my school only lets you take 4 subjects if you take them all to A-level and if you get good GCSEs) so I'm not really sure how that would work. Your GCSE results are incredible though and if you have work experience and volunteering then I'm sure you have a good chance of getting in:smile:. I wouldn't chose a subject for AS that you're not interested in because it'll be much harder to find motivation for studying.
thank you, some unis do say they want an AS-level but its not part of the actual offer, what do you think about this?

im not gonna do medicine so haven't looked at what most unis want, but i think thats not really fair, mainly because many people are not doing AS exams this year and their schools are making them do the full A levels due to reforms.

Try to get work experience somewhere in shadowing a doctor, or at a hospital.

Also a quick look at oxford's website says this:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by asinghj
im not gonna do medicine so haven't looked at what most unis want, but i think thats not really fair, mainly because many people are not doing AS exams this year and their schools are making them do the full A levels due to reforms.

Try to get work experience somewhere in shadowing a doctor, or at a hospital.

Thank you so much!! I've not stopped looking into this all night and it seems that Oxford are the most lenient in not having an AS. Even other universities such as manchester and lancaster say they want a 4th AS ideally! :frown: but thank you for your help, I'm going to speak to someone at my sixth form tomorrow about it :smile:
Thank you so much!! I've not stopped looking into this all night and it seems that Oxford are the most lenient in not having an AS. Even other universities such as manchester and lancaster say they want a 4th AS ideally! :frown: but thank you for your help, I'm going to speak to someone at my sixth form tomorrow about it :smile:

No problem,
All the best and hope you get to do medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending