The Student Room Group

Maths

Hello there. I have searched up any sort of method to work out the following, but I am unsure on how to word it. Can someone offer me a method as my teacher has not really told me.

The mean of five numbers is 5 and the median is 6. List the numbers

I'm not asking for the answer, but a method. Many thanks! Also, if you do not have anything helpful or nice to say, do not say it all.
Original post by melissadh
Hello there. I have searched up any sort of method to work out the following, but I am unsure on how to word it. Can someone offer me a method as my teacher has not really told me.

The mean of five numbers is 5 and the median is 6. List the numbers

I'm not asking for the answer, but a method. Many thanks! Also, if you do not have anything helpful or nice to say, do not say it all.

The number in the middle of the list is 6 , what must the 5 numbers add up to ?
The method really is just trial an error to pick a set of numbers that works

Posted from TSR Mobile
If there are 5 numbers, the middle number will have to be the median, so the set will look like this in ascending order:

a, b, 6, c, d

For the mean to be 5, all of the numbers added together divided by the amount of numbers must equal 5, therefore (a+b+6+c+d) / 5 = 5. Can you take it from there?
Original post by bobbobson
if there are 5 numbers, the middle number will have to be the median, so the set will look like this in ascending order:

A, b, 6, c, d

for the mean to be 5, all of the numbers added together divided by the amount of numbers must equal 5, therefore (a+b+6+c+d) / 5 = 5. Can you take it from there?

can't barage
the farage
Reply 4
How do you know there are 5 numbers? I can't take it on there! Nice with the Farage bu the way and thanks for the response.
In your OP, you said the mean of 5 numbers is 5, it says in the question there is 5 numbers. To continue where I left off, rearrange the equation so you get a + b + c + d = on the left hand side

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Aha! Yes! OK. Sorry. I did indeed think of that. So I'd end up with:

a+b+c+d = -5
Aha! Yes! OK. Sorry. I did indeed think of that. So I'd end up with:

a+b+c+d = -5

No, try again. You're multiplying both sides by 5 then subtracting 6.
Reply 8
Original post by RDKGames
No, try again. You're multiplying both sides by 5 then subtracting 6.

a+b+c+d = 19

So they all up to 19. I suppose I know have to use trial and error to get such a mean of 5?
a+b+c+d = 19

So they all up to 19. I suppose I know have to use trial and error to get such a mean of 5?

Huh? No you already used the mean to get to this point.

a, b, 6, c, d

So you know a and b must be less than 6 while c and d must be more then 6. Just try some numbers

a+b+c+d=19

One such possibility is a=1, b=2, c=7, d=9. There are more, I'm not sure what your questions asks for.
Wow! I just learnt something new! Thank you so much! I got it from here!

Quick Reply

Latest