The Student Room Group

Best Calculator for A level Maths

Hi, I currently own the Casio fx-50FH. But I heard that the Casio FX-991 ESPLUS is really good for you in A level. Is this worth the upgrade or is my fx-50FH enough. I want to know the additional features as well for the 991 that I can't perform on my 50FH. Thanks in advance!
Original post by bigblackshaq
Hi, I currently own the Casio fx-50FH. But I heard that the Casio FX-991 ESPLUS is really good for you in A level. Is this worth the upgrade or is my fx-50FH enough. I want to know the additional features as well for the 991 that I can't perform on my 50FH. Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with the Casio fx-50FH. The key advantages of the fx-991 ES are that it does numeric integration and differentiation and can also do calculations with vectors and matrices. If your calculator can't do this then I definitely would recommend getting the fx-991 ES because it isn't particularly expensive and can be extremely helpful in an exam.
wow, being able to do integrations is already a HUGE plus for me...thanks for the help, will go buy one soon!
Original post by Plagioclase
I'm not familiar with the Casio fx-50FH. The key advantages of the fx-991 ES are that it does numeric integration and differentiation and can also do calculations with vectors and matrices. If your calculator can't do this then I definitely would recommend getting the fx-991 ES because it isn't particularly expensive and can be extremely helpful in an exam.
Original post by bigblackshaq
wow, being able to do integrations is already a HUGE plus for me...thanks for the help, will go buy one soon!

It can only do numeric integration and differentiation (i.e. you can ask it to integrate 0πsin22x dx\int_0^\pi \sin^2{2x}\ dx but you can't ask for indefinite integrals) but yes, it's still very useful.
yea i meant to include 'numeric' integrations, but thanks for the quick reply!
Original post by Plagioclase
It can only do numeric integration and differentiation (i.e. you can ask it to integrate 0πsin22x dx\int_0^\pi \sin^2{2x}\ dx but you can't ask for indefinite integrals) but yes, it's still very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest