The Student Room Group

Is there too much immigration?

We are now on average receiving an extra 300,000 until we leave Euro we will continue to reach this level of immigration so we got another two years. In this time illegal immigrants from syria and around the world we keep coming into the uk and granting asylum and then their families will be allowed in. Everytime I read in the paper it says this child in calais has family already in the UK, how did their family get in? Do all asylum get permanent resident? Technology will replace alot of jobs we have at the moment so there will be mass unemployment in the future.

Scroll to see replies

Lots of them are actually international students coming here for studying, I think students and migrants should be seperate, we're one of the most popular places, I bet immigration isn't even that high.
Reply 2
If an immigrant/refugee is granted asylum, by definition they are not an illegal immigrant.
(edited 7 years ago)
Refugees are not immigrants, let alone illegal. Their immigration path is different from any other situation. And yes, they have a right to have their families here, contrarily to other immigration paths.
Regulation to stop illegal immigration to UK is already in place, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Maybe... try to read less the online papers using immigrants as scapegoat for government failures?
Original post by Simo72MC
Refugees are not immigrants, let alone illegal.

Anyone who moves from permanent residence in another country to live in Britain, for any reason whatever, is an immigrant. It is a simple matter of definition. Is English not your first language?
Original post by Good bloke
Anyone who moves from permanent residence in another country to live in Britain, for any reason whatever, is an immigrant. It is a simple matter of definition. Is English not your first language?

I'd say it's not yours, I know the difference quite well.
From Cambridge dictionary:
"refugee= a person who has escaped from their country for political, religious or economic reasons or because of a war"

Do you read migrate/migration anywhere? Me neither.

Refugee status concerns someone whose country is in turmoil and it cannot be considered (literally) migration, because the person would not need to migrate anywhere if he/she was not in some danger of some sort.
The immigration figure or rather then one thats used a lot is the net immigration i.e the difference between those coming here for a variety of reasons and those leaving. Students, workers, EU citizens.

Go and read up on refugees and our obligations under the 1951 UN convention on refugees. Its an agreement we signed up to. The number of people coming to the UK as asylum seekers is very low compared to other cuntries.

Asylum seekers do not get permanent residence. They have to satisfy the authorities they are in fleeing persecuion and cant return to their home country. If they arent i.e just economic migrants they are refused asylum and deported.
If they are granted refugee status they are allowed to stay on a temporary visa, they may later apply for a permant leave to remain or citizenship 5+ years down the line.

Your understanding of the way everything works is imperfect.
I'd say it's not yours, I know the difference quite well.
From Cambridge dictionary:
"refugee= a person who has escaped from their country for political, religious or economic reasons or because of a war"

Do you read migrate/migration anywhere? Me neither.

Refugee status concerns someone whose country is in turmoil and it cannot be considered (literally) migration, because the person would not need to migrate anywhere if he/she was not in some danger of some sort.

Don't be silly. A migrant is a person who migrates (i.e. changes country) for any reason. A refugee is a migrant who changes country for reasons of safety (i.e. a subset of all migrants). An immigrant is someone who comes into a country. An emigrant is someone who leaves a country. Both are migrants, and all immigrants are also emigrants.
Don't be silly. A migrant is a person who migrates (i.e. changes country) for any reason. A refugee is a migrant who changes country for reasons of safety (i.e. a subset of all migrants). An immigrant is someone who comes into a country. An emigrant is someone who leaves a country. Both are migrants, and all immigrants are also emigrants.

Whatevs....... I will agree to disagree.
Stop reading the Daily Mail.
Yes
Original post by ckfeister
Lots of them are actually international students coming here for studying, I think students and migrants should be seperate, we're one of the most popular places, I bet immigration isn't even that high.

Original post by Dez
If an immigrant/refugee is granted asylum, by definition they are not an illegal immigrant.

What should our immigration policy be ?
Refugees are not immigrants, let alone illegal. Their immigration path is different from any other situation. And yes, they have a right to have their families here, contrarily to other immigration paths.
Regulation to stop illegal immigration to UK is already in place, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Maybe... try to read less the online papers using immigrants as scapegoat for government failures?

Why are white people expats when the rest of us are immigrants?
Original post by Therec00
Why are white people expats when the rest of us are immigrants?

It has nothing to do with colour of skin. It's a question of viewpoint and, perhaps, expected permanence. A Pole in Britain may be seen by his relatives in Poland to be an ex-pat, especially if he is expected to return. To strangers in Poland with no knowledge of his circumstances he is, perhaps, an emigrant. To Britons, he is an immigrant.
Original post by Therec00
What should our immigration policy be ?

Treat all of the world equally not discriminated just because they're not from EU.
Treat all of the world equally not discriminated just because they're not from EU.

Does that mean let everyone in, or keep everyone out?
Does that mean let everyone in, or keep everyone out?

The required amount, not just " EU migrants as its not complex "

That's not a policy.

Just anti EU rhetoric.
Tbh with you, I'm largely under the belief that immigration is a benefit for the economy.
Don't bother asking Jezza, on today they tried their best to make him spell out his views on numbers and he ran around it forever only to say he would do/spend more on integration. It's amazing how someone who says so little can command so much attention, Mrs. May would be foolish to call a snap election: the longer it goes on the more evident it will become that Jezza & McDonnell have nothing realistic to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending