The Student Room Group

Should I write this in my personal statement ?

Hi I was wondering if it would we wise to mention that I have moved colleges during my a-levels and this is has made me adapt quicker and make friends blah blah blah etc, would that be a good thing or no ?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Cinna21
Hi I was wondering if it would we wise to mention that I have moved colleges during my a-levels and this is has made me adapt quicker and make friends blah blah blah etc, would that be a good thing or no ?

Yes.

This exactly the sort of example you should put in your PS.
Unnecessary
Original post by Cinna21

This wouldn't be that bad of a thing to say. I would get rid of a few "blah"s though, as in, don't elaborate too much on that fact. Word it concisely but in a way that it flows smoothly and show (not tell) how this has made you better or whatever. I would say this is a good thing, because it's like moving to unfamiliar situations and being able to handle it well, just like moving to university, although it's a bit different.
Reply 4
Probably not.

Well you can do, but I personally wouldn't.
Original post by Scott.
Probably not.

Well you can do, but I personally wouldn't.

It would be helpful if you, at least briefly, explained why not.
Original post by Cinna21

I'd say if you are hard pressed for things to say about your character/feel your PS is too short then mention it. Does your course require/suggest that you should be adaptable?
Reply 7
Original post by Cinna21

It depends what you're going to say exactly. Unis don't really care about your friends so you don't need to go into detail about how you have sleepovers and comb each other's hair. But you could talk about the challenges you've overcome and how this has shaped you to be a better person
What subject are you applying for?

But no, don't say that. Tell them why you would excel at the course.
Reply 9
I honestly wouldn't bother, it's not necessary. Based on the advice I have received from my college it's best to write about academic experiences or even a job rather than moving schools. You can always ask your careers department in your school- good luck though.
Irrelevant.
Reply 11
Thank you everyone for your help :smile: I've decided I will only use it if I need to fill up my PS and if I do use it I won't make it a big thing I'll keep it short & concise. Thanks again :P
Reply 12
Original post by Cinna21
Thank you everyone for your help :smile: I've decided I will only use it if I need to fill up my PS and if I do use it I won't make it a big thing I'll keep it short & concise. Thanks again :P

So you're ignoring the people who know what they're talking about, and following the people who went to a talk at school and think they're an expert. You'll have to learn to be a better judge of sources before attempting to write essays at uni
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
So you're ignoring the people who know what they're talking about, and following the people who went to a talk at school and think they're an expert. You'll have to learn to be a better judge of sources before attempting to write essays at uni

The question I asked on TSR was just a small one, I was curious whether to include it or not and I wanted to see everyone's opinion. We all have different views. I personally don't think it is relevant to my application at University hence why I said I will only include it if I want to fill up my application more as I have better examples that show me off better, so If you feel I was ignoring you I really wasn't. I know myself better than anyone else and I really think I have better examples to show what I'm like to a University. Moving colleges has not been the biggest challenge I have faced this year so that's why I don't want to include it. I certainly was not ignoring you there is only so much you can know about a person online.

Thanks for your help though I appreciate it :smile:
loooollll someone's salty that their advice wasn't taken :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by surina16

Loool, I honestly did read every message though but it's my personal statement so I should be making the final evaluation that's right for me :P
Reply 16
Original post by surina16

Someone just cares about helping applicants, and thinks that although sometimes people mean well they are essentially clueless.
Reply 17
Thanks and yes that's what I wrote above but couldn't say it as well as you :smile: I don't want to prioritise it too much. Thanks so much for the general advice on writing Personal Statements too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending