The Student Room Group

Which 2 other A levels would fit my other current choices?

I'm picking my A levels at the moment, and I know a few I'm going to do but I think I need a little guidance with the rest as I don;t know what the workload will be like exactly. I'm doing 4 for definite, and This is how they look at the moment

1.Physics/Biology
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics
4.Further maths/Geography/Law/Accounting/Computer Science

I know I'm picking two sciences, maths and something else. The question is - would it be too much if I picked a difficult subject, as I've heard if you pick entirely hard subjects then it can be too much for even the most rigorously disciplined students. I'm predicted A and A* in my subjects, so I'd like to know how testing it will be if I picked something like Law, which is standalone, a new subject which I have NO idea about or if I should go with an easier option like Geography. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sugoi_Sugoi
I'm picking my A levels at the moment, and I know a few I'm going to do but I think I need a little guidance with the rest as I don;t know what the workload will be like exactly. I'm doing 4 for definite, and This is how they look at the moment

1.Physics/Biology
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics

I know I'm picking two sciences, maths and something else. The question is - would it be too much if I picked a difficult subject, as I've heard if you pick entirely hard subjects then it can be too much for even the most rigorously disciplined students. I'm predicted A and A* in my subjects, so I'd like to know how testing it will be if I picked something like Law, which is standalone, a new subject which I have NO idea about or if I should go with an easier option like Geography. Thank you :smile:

The main issue is what are you thinking of studying at university. If
you are planning Medicine or similar you will be best advised to include Chemistry and Biology. If you are looking into Engineering, then Maths and Further Maths and possibly Physics might be better. For computing then take Computer Science and Maths and possibly further Maths.
This is if you are good enough at Maths to take Further Maths
Reply 2
Are you planning on dropping a subject in year 13 or carrying on all 4? I did Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography in year 12 and have now dropped maths (I was half linear, half old style so I still have an AS) with the same predicted grades.The sciences are as I'm sure you've heard humungous subjects, and there is a lot of content! What I would say though, is that while biology probably contains the most information, it's also relatively easy stuff- the concepts arent difficult just might take a while to learn so if your time management is good then biology is probably the nicest science to do. Geography is also a large subject with all the extra case studies you have to learn, and a lot of time can be eaten up with exam practice which is really important, but as its essay questions it's annoying (40 markers this year yay!!)

It sort of depends on how much you like the subjects at the moment really, for me maths was the most time consuming because i was bad at it, and consequently it ate up a lot of my time. But geography, which i actually enjoy (shocker) is much more suited to me and even longer homeworks would take me less time- and revision was a lot easier because i was actually engaged. Maths with further maths could be a less time consuming combination for you if you're more suited to and enjoy maths. Or if you fancing doing something completely new then law would be good as it might be more interesting (I'm kind of sick of my subjects as i've been doing them for 7 years now like...)

Really though, any subject combination will be fine assuming you're at the same ability as me (judging predicited grades). It takes planning and just plain effort to get through biology, chemistry and geography and i honestly think they're like the 3 three largest subjects but there isn't that much difference between subject workload, and if you work smartly you'll be absolutely fine if you choose subjects you enjoy!!
Original post by zahel
It takes planning and just plain effort to get through biology, chemistry and geography and i honestly think they're like the 3 three largest subjects but there isn't that much difference between subject workload, and if you work smartly you'll be absolutely fine if you choose subjects you enjoy!!

No I don't plan to drop a subject in the second year, as the sixth form I'm aspiring to apply for mostly fixates on the linear A level with no AS. I am very good at maths, which is why I'm picking it and I don't think it will take up as much time as the rest. As for Further maths would I be correct in thinking that it will help in physics? I know they sort of interlink. Taking both maths would be easier for me than say law, but seeing as you said the workload isn't THAT differentiated that has helped me. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by swansea jack 1
The main issue is what are you thinking of studying at university. If
you are planning Medicine or similar you will be best advised to include Chemistry and Biology. If you are looking into Engineering, then Maths and Further Maths and possibly Physics might be better. For computing then take Computer Science and Maths and possibly further Maths.
This is if you are good enough at Maths to take Further Maths

Yes I kind of know that if I picked physics I would probably pick further maths as they go side by side. Anyone who has done the physics or further maths course and would be willing to comment on what it was like>
Reply 5
Do you have any idea what you want to do at university/after school?
Reply 6
No I don't plan to drop a subject in the second year, as the sixth form I'm aspiring to apply for mostly fixates on the linear A level with no AS. I am very good at maths, which is why I'm picking it and I don't think it will take up as much time as the rest. As for Further maths would I be correct in thinking that it will help in physics? I know they sort of interlink. Taking both maths would be easier for me than say law, but seeing as you said the workload isn't THAT differentiated that has helped me. Thanks for the help :smile:

Fair enough, but remember that Uni's only look for 3 grades, so you don't have to do 4! Yes, i know some of my friends that do physics and further maths - i think the extra mechanics modules are helpful! No problem, good luck with everything!
Original post by Tau
Do you have any idea what you want to do at university/after school?

I'm looking into it but no, I don't know exactly what job I want. Definitely something involving maths and science, possibly architecture,geography or computing. I've been looking quite recently and I still have a bit of research to do, but ideally I need to get my application form in by the end of October, and the form includes your choices for A level.
Reply 8
I'm looking into it but no, I don't know exactly what job I want. Definitely something involving maths and science, possibly architecture,geography or computing. I've been looking quite recently and I still have a bit of research to do, but ideally I need to get my application form in by the end of October, and the form includes your choices for A level.

To be honest if you know that you don't want to do anything with medicine or anything like that then Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry are probably your best options. I imagine the place you apply to though will allow you to change your A level options once you have your GCSE results, so don't stress too much.
Original post by zahel
Fair enough, but remember that Uni's only look for 3 grades, so you don't have to do 4! Yes, i know some of my friends that do physics and further maths - i think the extra mechanics modules are helpful! No problem, good luck with everything!

Thanks for the motivation :biggrin: It definitely seems like a viable option. Physics isn't my favourite subject in school, but someone I met at the sixth form came from a very expensive private school, and said so well of the physics course I'm intrigued more so than in secondary.

1.Physics/Biology
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics

If you like maths and physics id say, maths f maths physics and computing would be alright. Chemistry doesnt go too well (I did that combo).

But u could do chem instead of fmaths

1.Physics/Biology
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics

I'd say go for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography.
Doing Chemistry as well as Physics is going to be extremely difficult, they're very hard A-Levels and Biology is still a good science, just a little easier. The work load for Chemistry and Physics is definitely a lot so may be hard to manage.
Also, Geography goes very well with Chemistry and Biology with some overlap between the subjects, it's relaxing and the work load isn't too hectic.

I was taking Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology and predicted A's in each, but found taking Chemistry was a little too difficult to manage due to the amount of work. I made it through year 12 with all 4 subjects though :smile:

I hope this helps in some way. I definitely advise Biology over Physics though unless you're definitely prepared for all the work and exams
Original post by MapleMaypole
I'd say go for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography.
Doing Chemistry as well as Physics is going to be extremely difficult, they're very hard A-Levels and Biology is still a good science, just a little easier. The work load for Chemistry and Physics is definitely a lot so may be hard to manage.
Also, Geography goes very well with Chemistry and Biology with some overlap between the subjects, it's relaxing and the work load isn't too hectic.

I was taking Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Psychology and predicted A's in each, but found taking Chemistry was a little too difficult to manage due to the amount of work. I made it through year 12 with all 4 subjects though :smile:

I hope this helps in some way. I definitely advise Biology over Physics though unless you're definitely prepared for all the work and exams

Thanks that's really helped :ahee:
I'm pretty sure I've decided what I'm going to do.
1.Physics
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics
4.Further Mathematics
This might look overly difficult to cope with, but apparently taking physics with further maths is like taking an A level and an AS level, as many of the contents are the same. Also, apparently it is a very bad idea to take 1 science only, and I was going to take chemistry regardless so that seems fine. Chemistry also accounts for geographical and biological knowledge so with chemistry you can study many other subjects. This is the same with Further maths; it can lead to computing engineering and many other things.,
Thank for the help everyone :woo:
(edited 7 years ago)
1.Physics
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics
4.Further Mathematics
This might look overly difficult to cope with, but apparently taking physics with further maths is like taking an A level and an AS level, as many of the contents are the same. Also, apparently it is a very bad idea to take 1 science only, and I was going to take chemistry regardless so that seems fine. Chemistry also accounts for geographical and biological knowledge so with chemistry you can study many other subjects. This is the same with Further maths; it can lead to computing engineering and many other things.,

I do those 4, physics and further maths have different content (except mechanics modules). But they do go well together, chemistry is quite different tban the other three.
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
I do those 4, physics and further maths have different content (except mechanics modules). But they do go well together, chemistry is quite different tban the other three.

Yes, Chemistry is quite different but it's probably my favourite subject save maths (at GCSE level anyway) and also chemistry helps with biology and geography as well.
Reply 16
1.Physics
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics
4.Further Mathematics

I do those 4 (in Y13), there's a lot of overlap (even between Chemistry and Physics) - they go well together.
Good to see that you are coping with the workload - assures me I shouldn't be too overwhelmed. Good luck in the rest of your second year, I've heard it gets twice as hard around that point.
1.Physics
2.Chemistry
3.Mathematics
4.Further Mathematics

Woohoo!!! Goodluck with your A-Levels! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest