The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

'Bad vibes' from a University Open Day

I went to the University of Sheffield for their Open Day today and was kind of disappointed by it. I want to study Aerospace Engineering and Sheffield is pretty high up on the league tables for this course but when I visited the Uni it just didn't feel like a good fit. The facilities aren't as good as those of other Universities I've visited and the whole place just felt a bit off. I also wasn't a fan of the lecturer despite only attending a 45-minute introductory lecture.

Would it be worth applying for even though I wasn't a fan? The required grades seem fairly reasonable and there were a few things that piqued my interest, such as opportunities to get involved in various societies and study abroad.
Reply 1
Original post by StarShipB7S24
it just didn't feel like a good fit.

Then don't apply there - surely that the whole point of going to Open Days?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
I went to the University of Sheffield for their Open Day today and was kind of disappointed by it. I want to study Aerospace Engineering and Sheffield is pretty high up on the league tables for this course but when I visited the Uni it just didn't feel like a good fit. The facilities aren't as good as those of other Universities I've visited and the whole place just felt a bit off. I also wasn't a fan of the lecturer despite only attending a 45-minute introductory lecture.

Would it be worth applying for even though I wasn't a fan? The required grades seem fairly reasonable and there were a few things that piqued my interest, such as opportunities to get involved in various societies and study abroad.

You will find the opportunity to join societies and the option to study abroad at plenty of universities. I wouldn’t put Sheffield down as an option solely because of those.
Yeah I went to Sheffield uni open day and didn't like the vibe either...
Reply 4
If it doesn’t feel right, then don’t apply !! Other unis do the course and there is no point in being unhappy for x years.

Hey,
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the open day. I will feedback to the department and let them know.
If you felt like you did not want to go to Sheffield then it would not be worth applying there if it is just based on the league tables. You will have a much better time at somewhere you feel happier. The societies at Sheffield are amazing, but you will have the opportunity to do this at other Universities too.
On the other hand, open days will not give you the most accurate idea of what it is like to study at the University, so it may be worth contacting some students who are currently studying Aerospace and see what they think of the course and Uni? https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat - other uni's will also have options to chat to current students, so this might help too!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
I had a completely different experience, I had Liverpool down as first choice and went to 5 different Uni open days just to make sure Liverpool was where I’d be happiest. After 2 visits to Sheffield and speaking to people on the course, I changed my mind putting Sheffield as my firm choice. It is definitely about where you feel will be the best fit for you and that will be individual to everyone. Fingers crossed I get the grades now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending