The Student Room Group

How to increase my chances of getting an offer?

Im in a pretty sh* position
I got A*CD in my a levels(my mock results where AAB)
This was partly due to an anxiety disorder and family issues although I seriously am not one to moan

I am confident I can get A*AB upon retaking
However, to motivate my retakes I want offers from more or less the same universities I applied to last year which include sheffield york bristol exeter and lborough

I was in a strong position to get offers following AS because I got AAA
However with my A2 disaster im anxious I might not get any offers because they might not have faith in me to make the 2-3 grade jump I need to pull off?

Should I push my mitigating circumstances?
Should I resign my self to clearing/adjustment(most of these unis offer my course through it)

I did get an A* in the subject I want to study(politics) and have a good cv behind me including an internship with zac goldsmith among other things

Its obviously quite distressing for me to of missed out on uni despite great success in what I actually want to study but thats life
I just need to do everything I can to try and get an offer1
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Get the predicted grades

Get the grades

Excellent personal statement
Reply 2
Definitely push your mitigating circumstances.

It may be worth picking a university that you're not applying to but is of similar standard to the other universities, and then explaining your situation. Discussing your situation with a university for a professional opinion would help you get sort your options.

I think you should still apply, but be prepared to not get offers. Alternatively, you can go for other universities but still work on those grades and go through adjustment. Regardlessa of your plan A, make sure you have a suitable plan B and maybe a slightly uncomfortable plan C.
Reply 3
The security I have is that I know all of these universitties went tthrough clearing and adjustment for my course So as long as Iget the grades i should be alrightIt would just be annoying to not have any offers
Reply 4
Original post by Mvpmb
The security I have is that I know all of these universitties went tthrough clearing and adjustment for my course So as long as Iget the grades i should be alrightIt would just be annoying to not have any offers

Yeah, I get that. Good luck anyways and I hope you get into the unis you want to!!
Reply 5
Original post by sabruh
Yeah, I get that. Good luck anyways and I hope you get into the unis you want to!!

GOod news
I got off the phone with all of my five saying they will disregard my current grades in favour of my predicted ones(though they are not happy with my D)

So Im optimistic
Reply 6
Original post by Mvpmb
GOod news
I got off the phone with all of my five saying they will disregard my current grades in favour of my predicted ones(though they are not happy with my D)

So Im optimistic

I'm really happy to hear, and it doesnt matter if they're not happy with it- because the second time round, you'll work hard and ace it:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest