The Student Room Group

Fashion marketing portfolio help

Hi

I am applying for fashion marketing/buying at university but everywhere is asking for a portfolio. I have never done fashion before and I don't do art and design so I don't know what to include in it and how to set it out and what paper to use etc.

Any help or suggestions people have would be great as I'm really stressed about it.

Thanks guys :smile:
Original post by oliviam6
Hi

I am applying for fashion marketing/buying at university but everywhere is asking for a portfolio. I have never done fashion before and I don't do art and design so I don't know what to include in it and how to set it out and what paper to use etc.

Any help or suggestions people have would be great as I'm really stressed about it.

Thanks guys :smile:

Which courses exactly are you applying for that are asking for a portfolio? I don't know of any fashion marketing course that asks for a portfolio (the whole point of these courses are that they're more theoretical/business focused and not about the actual creation and design of clothing).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which courses exactly are you applying for that are asking for a portfolio? I don't know of any fashion marketing course that asks for a portfolio (the whole point of these courses are that they're more theoretical/business focused and not about the actual creation and design of clothing).

I am looking at applying for Fashion Marketing at Leeds Beckett (they don't require a portfolio), Huddersfield Fashion and Textile Buying Management and just general fashion marketing courses. They all keep emailing me back saying I would need to show a portfolio of work including photographs of ideas and cuttings from magazines
I am looking at applying for Fashion Marketing at Leeds Beckett (they don't require a portfolio), Huddersfield Fashion and Textile Buying Management and just general fashion marketing courses. They all keep emailing me back saying I would need to show a portfolio of work including photographs of ideas and cuttings from magazines

That's pretty rude - there's no mention on https://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/2017-18/full-time/undergraduate/fashion-and-textile-buying-management-ba-hons/ of a requirement for a portfolio and their entry profile on UCAS doesn't list it either http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/427775/fashion-and-textile-buying-management?Vac=3&AvailableIn=2016&SubjectCode=13&Feather=7&MaxResults=1000&page=1&providerids=1103&ret=results#coursedetailsmenu (portfolio/interview requirements are listed on the right below the unit grades box on that page). I'd get back to them and ask for more guidance on what they expect, an example of a portfolio and what they're looking to identify from a portfolio.

It does sound like they're more interested in your interpretation/views on fashion than on original work/designs but that still means they're asking for something that wasn't made clear on their website or ucas.

Hi Olivia - from your username, we think we’ve been in touch with you! Please look out for emails etc. If you haven’t heard from us we’d like to reassure you that we don’t require portfolios for our Fashion Business courses, only Fashion Design. Please feel free to contact us directly for further queries [email protected]
Reply 5
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi Olivia - from your username, we think we’ve been in touch with you! Please look out for emails etc. If you haven’t heard from us we’d like to reassure you that we don’t require portfolios for our Fashion Business courses, only Fashion Design. Please feel free to contact us directly for further queries [email protected]

I was told that for the course that had fashion marketing I have to provide a portfolio :frown:
I was told that for the course that had fashion marketing I have to provide a portfolio :frown:

Hi @oliviam6

We've just confirmed with the School of Art, Design and Architecture that we don’t require a portfolio for BA (Hons) Fashion & Textile Buying-Management (via [email protected]) as it’s not a practical studio-based course. Entry requirements and correct on this course listing: http://www.hud.ac.uk/courses/full-time/undergraduate/fashion-and-textile-buying-management-ba-hons/

We hope this puts your mind at rest! If you have any more questions please do message us, we're here to help :smile:

Sarah - UoH

Quick Reply

Latest