The Student Room Group

Nursing dilemma! HELP

Long story short, I am currently studying psychology at a very average university however I have wanted to do nursing for years now. Originally I applied for nursing but I messed up the maths and ended up not getting a place! Which is why I went through clearing as I wasn't quite sure what do to and ended up doing psychology.

I am aware how competitive psychology is, I am enjoying my course but at the back of my mind I am still drawn to nursing. I have got quite a lot of work experience in hospitals, maybe not the gory stuff but I am not too phased about it? Maybe a little bit scared but I presume I would get over it quite fast? I won't know until I actually try.

My idea was to do Psychology and then Masters/Doctorate in Clinical Psych but I found out that theres only 150 places and there was 35,000 applicants which scares me! I know with nursing I am guaranteed a job.

I know no one can answer me this question because it's my decision but I don't know whether I should stay doing this course. I will definitely apply and go through an interview process for nursing because I don't want to regret it later on.
Original post by Veeox
Long story short, I am currently studying psychology at a very average university however I have wanted to do nursing for years now. Originally I applied for nursing but I messed up the maths and ended up not getting a place! Which is why I went through clearing as I wasn't quite sure what do to and ended up doing psychology.

I am aware how competitive psychology is, I am enjoying my course but at the back of my mind I am still drawn to nursing. I have got quite a lot of work experience in hospitals, maybe not the gory stuff but I am not too phased about it? Maybe a little bit scared but I presume I would get over it quite fast? I won't know until I actually try.

My idea was to do Psychology and then Masters/Doctorate in Clinical Psych but I found out that theres only 150 places and there was 35,000 applicants which scares me! I know with nursing I am guaranteed a job.

I know no one can answer me this question because it's my decision but I don't know whether I should stay doing this course. I will definitely apply and go through an interview process for nursing because I don't want to regret it later on.

It really depends whether you want to look at a career in psychology or one as a nurse. Both are very different and have completely separate career paths and progression opportunities.

You would certainly need work experience and volunteering to apply for nursing so it would be a good idea to look into this before applying, which will hopefully give you a better idea of whether this is the route you wish to take.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
It really depends whether you want to look at a career in psychology or one as a nurse. Both are very different and have completely separate career paths and progression opportunities.

You would certainly need work experience and volunteering to apply for nursing so it would be a good idea to look into this before applying, which will hopefully give you a better idea of whether this is the route you wish to take.

Thank you for a reply! i have work experience in both which is why it's so difficult to make a decision as I enjoy both:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending