The Student Room Group

Opinions on Margaret Thatcher...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
No we don't...

There is next to no social housing being built at the moment.

We need a mass housebuilding project.

The current problem is that we have outdated and ugly buildings,with some that already provide a accommodation for those on the Lowe income scale.
We need to plan out first and think of better solutions to make use with housing space.
It is easy to demolish and rebuild but the hard is relocating people.
We would also need to secure the funds and the permission to build and the country budget is already feeling the crunch.
Original post by Blue_Mason
The current problem is that we have outdated and ugly buildings,with some that already provide a accommodation for those on the Lowe income scale.
We need to plan out first and think of better solutions to make use with housing space.
It is easy to demolish and rebuild but the hard is relocating people.
We would also need to secure the funds and the permission to build and the country budget is already feeling the crunch.

Building social housing is a massive fiscal multiplier. It pays for itself.
You create jobs to build the housing, you recuperate the investment through social rents and because the rents are lower, you allow the tenants to have more disposable income to spend on other items.

You also massively reduce the amount of housing benefits you need to pay.
Dislike her.
Original post by Bornblue
The Thatcher- Reagan economic consensus and the left's embrace of it is hugely responsible for the rise of the far right today.
Whole communities have simply been left behind and have never recovered.

Now we have Trump, the only person who's actually spoken about the unfairness of the system.

Dealing with the consequences does not require smashing the system.
I think she's the best thing since David Cameron.
The best PM we've had. Champion of privatisation, lowered taxes, destroyed the unions, and was truly socially conservative.

Bring back the Community Charge, I say.
She's by far the best Prime Minister after Churchill.
She'd fit in in 2016 that's for sure... The year when evil triumphed against all odds at every election
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Thatcher was incredible and the best PM since Gladstone (i'll give MacMillan some kudos).

Advantages
- She brought about an economic revolution which released the people from the burden of taxation and constraints on free enterprise
- She crushed the unions who considered themselves above democracy
- She had iron resolve - no nonsense or wishy washy rubbish
- She brought about the special relationship which arguably maintained until Blair left
- She utterly destroyed the will of the left to oppose her, such that in 1994 Blair was elected and would go on to say "we're all Thatcherites now".

Disadvantages
- She lacked foresight and never really considered the consequences of the economic revolution
- The model of some privatisations suggests that she may have been under the foolish impression that private ownership is what brings the benefits of the market and not competition

I don't consider her akin to a god as i once did but i do on the whole consider her one of the greatest prime ministers to have ever lived. Her positives far outweighed the negatives for the country as a whole.

I agree with much of this. To the 'disadvantages', I'd add that she never really learnt to play nicely with other members of her cabinet, government and parliamentary party.
One of the best prime ministers ever
And people say that TSR is full of lefty liberals.

She was alright, sacrificed a generation for the next.
She was definitely a snob. A lot of Scots were happy to see her die... I didn't like her but I wouldn't go dancing on her grave ffs.
Original post by Reality Check
I agree with much of this. To the 'disadvantages', I'd add that she never really learnt to play nicely with other members of her cabinet, government and parliamentary party.

Yes. Her resolve meant she was a bit uncompromising. That said, i imagine that Cameron wishes he'd had her resolve right now and told the MP's to go f*** themselves.
Original post by #ChaosKass
The best PM we've had. Champion of privatisation, lowered taxes, destroyed the unions, and was truly socially conservative.

Bring back the Community Charge, I say.

But Trump is quite protectionist. He opposes the unfettered gobalisation that Thatcher promoted.
Original post by Rakas21
Dealing with the consequences does not require smashing the system.

I'm baffled by how many people who loved Thatcher's globalisation now seem to love Trump's protectionism even though they are diametrically opposed.

Starting to feel that some people just like a strong authoritarian leader no matter what they believe in.
Wonderful woman.
Original post by Little Popcorns
She'd fit in in 2016 that's for sure... The year evil began

If you think evil began in 2016 then you've lived a very, very sheltered life...
She was the sort of lady who would cover her shoulders when a dinner guest at the Mansion House.
Original post by govtandpolitics
Why? There were advantages to that.

There was huge advantages but it wasn't executed correctly under major and especially Blair.

House sale money didn't go back to the councils but to central government where it was spent but not on housing

Posted from TSR Mobile
2nd best prime minister ever, after Winston Churchill. She saved this country, she made difficult but necessary decisions to do so that made her forever hated but she did this selflessly to save the country and make us great again.

People that hate her are short-sighted and cannot see what would have become of this country would it not have been for her. This easy life we live today is because of the late, great Margaret Thatcher!

Much love.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending