The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ozmo19
I would say that's Oxford. They've ranked number 1 in the world for medicine repeatedly in the last 6-7 years.

Incorrect, Cambridge is top for medicine, oxford second, imperial 3rd. Which league table have you been looking at?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CutieTootsie
Incorrect, Cambridge is top for medicine, oxford second, imperial 3rd. Which league table have you been looking at?

I knew you were going to post this ranking table but I said in the world not the UK. The two go hand in hand obviously but different set of rankings...
I am quoting Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
Oxford has also quoted that they've been no.1 in the world for Medicine between 2011-2015. I believe they were also no.1 in 2016-2017
(edited 7 years ago)

I wouldn't say Cambridge is necessary *the* best as these positions constantly keep switching but it's tied with Oxford definitely in terms of what the course has to offer. However, I think what the *best* is will differ from person to person. Someone may think Imperial or UCL is the best place or Edinburgh so it's quite a subjective topic and ranks don't tend to be constant from one source to another.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
but I said in the world not the UK

but if it's top in the UK, would it not still be higher than oxford in the world league table?

Original post by studentsixth
I think what the *best* is will differ from person to person.

obvs you're right, but we were talking about the league tables, not everyone's subjective view. I personally love Bristol's medical school, but a lot would disagree.
but if it's top in the UK, would it not still be higher than oxford in the world league table?

Thats why i said the two go hand in hand, but since they're two different sets of rankings with possibly different scoring methods they are not going to be the same. I sort of trust the THE rankings more though

obvs you're right, but we were talking about the league tables, not everyone's subjective view. I personally love Bristol's medical school, but a lot would disagree.

But league tables are never a good indicator of anything lol. Cambridge being number 1 on one table and 3 on another really doesn't say a lot about how it is as a medical school. At the end of the day every medical school has something different to offer and that's why employment-wise as long as you get an MBBS, it doesn't really matter what uni you went to.
Original post by neil20143
But league tables are never a good indicator of anything lol. Cambridge being number 1 on one table and 3 on another really doesn't say a lot about how it is as a medical school. At the end of the day every medical school has something different to offer and that's why employment-wise as long as you get an MBBS, it doesn't really matter what uni you went to.

*sigh* I know. Sensible people know this. I was responding to a post about league tables. I wish everyone would read previous posts before saying anything because I keep repeating myself.
Reply 167
Original post by Lementation
beef

On a Cambridge medicine thread of all places
Hey guys how are you preparing for the interview? I have no support from anyone so I'm kind of on my own with my preparation here, even though nothing came back from them yet i thought i'd practice just for the other med unis if not cambridge.
Does anyone when King's College give out interview invitations/ rejections? Thanks.
Reply 170
Original post by MainManMorrison
Does anyone when King's College give out interview invitations/ rejections? Thanks.

My mate got a Kings Interview earlier today at 10ish
Original post by Sulee
My mate got a Kings Interview earlier today at 10ish

Is this for GEM? Or a school leaver?
Reply 172
Is this for GEM? Or a school leaver?

He's in my year, so he's 17 turning 18
Original post by Sulee
He's in my year, so he's 17 turning 18

My gosh, his stats must be amazing - they haven't received our BMAT scores yet.
Reply 174

Nevermind, ive just realised how retarded i am.
Kings College isnt the Kings College London which i though he would be referring to on the Cambridge thread. oopsy

do you know when they get the results?
Reply 176
Original post by jjcoolio

22nd/23rd
Original post by jjcoolio

I heard the 23rd?
I heard the 23rd?

oh fab thanks
Original post by SpookyCake
Hey guys how are you preparing for the interview? I have no support from anyone so I'm kind of on my own with my preparation here, even though nothing came back from them yet i thought i'd practice just for the other med unis if not cambridge.

Im going to a course on medicine interviews next weekend..i can send you the details if interested. they do oxbridge focus too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending