The Student Room Group

My Computer not recognising my External Hard Drive

Hey folks,

Thought some of you IT experts might be able to help. I have a Seagate Expansion Portable Hard Drive (HD) 500GB. When plugged into *any* Windows computer - the light turns on and I can hear a spinning sound - which is quite normal. I can also see that the external HD is discoverable (there is an option to remove the device safely) but it doesn't show up under my devices in My Computer as it should normally do. I checked the USB cable that connects the external HD to the PC but this seems fine. I also tried using a different USB cable but still no response from my external HD.

I would be eternally grateful if you would be able to assist me on this as I have valuable files in the external HD.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Thank you for your reply.

Yes it shows up on Device Manager however with just "Portable Drive" Instead of Seagate Expansion Drive.

It does show up on disk management tool. It shows as healthy with the allocated space. However, when I right click the drive the only option is to "Delete Volume".

Any other suggestions?
Reply 2
Please find attached screenshots of what I see in Disk Management. Disk 5 is the external hard drive and the second photo shows the only option to "Delete Volume" after right clicking the partition.

I've recently just found out that the external hard drive has been unresponsive (last week maybe). It has been nearly a year since I last accessed the External Hard Drive. Last time, I think I was transferring files from my laptop to the external hard drive.

I actually tried uninstalling the drive and then plugging back in - also checked for updates but there wasn't any. Still the same problem occur.

Please tell me more about this:

Since the drive shows up and windows recognises that there is a device it could be something related to the format of the hard drive. I'm guessing for whatever reason Windows doesn't recognise the external drive as an NTFS device (or whatever format you are using).

Cheers.
did you get an installation CD with your drive ? if so you could run it again.
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
did you get an installation CD with your drive ? if so you could run it again.

No, there was not any that came with the external hard drive, unfortunately.
Original post by Jhyzone
No, there was not any that came with the external hard drive, unfortunately.

Has the drive worked OK previously with the computer it is currently plugged into ?

If so then perhaps you could try a System Restore to the time when it last worked.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
Has the drive worked OK previously with the computer it is currently plugged into ?

If so then perhaps you could try a System Restore to the time when it last worked.

Yes it has worked previously with the the computer it is currently plugged into.

I'm not really entirely familiar with System Restore - what should I do?

Thanks.
i use XP...

select...

i) start

ii) all programs

iii) accessories

iv) system tools

v) system restore

vi) Restore my computer to an earlier time

select an earlier date in bold on the calendar & continue from there.

if you do not have XP you can find help online:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

for instance

:h:
Reply 8
No, there is no option for me to change drive letter and paths on disk management other than "Delete Volume" after right clicking the 465.44 GB Partition.

This is what I see after Diskpart. There is no volume showing after "List Volume" with the 465.44 GB hence I could not assign a letter but after "list disk" it appears:

Any further ideas?
Reply 9
Hey, I think I found the problem. When I used EaseUS Data Recovery Software it showing my external hard drive as "Lost Partition"- what could this mean? I tried recovering some files but I am unable to recover other files that are lost or missing. I'm guessing the last resort if to reformat the external hard drive. After reformatting do you think I should be able to recover the original files in the external hard drive?

I have not looked into TestDisk deeply as it look very complicated! I don't want to mess the external hard drive further. I'll try to look into it when I have a fresh mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending