The Student Room Group

LSE v. Graduate Institute, Geneva

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, and after several months of lurking here I decided to just ask. I hold an offer for the MSc Conflict Studies at LSE, and I think I will be offered one for the MA International Relations/Political Science at the Graduate Institute (IHEID). I'm conflicted between which of the two I should attend, if I do get into IHEID. On the one hand, LSE seems to have a more globally renowned name, but IHEID looks fascinating. LSE is a one year programme and IHEID is two, I'm not sure which one of these will set me up for a better future. Optimally, I'd like to take a year or two after postgraduate to work before doing a DPhil/PhD. Does one year or two years matter for this? Which would potential employers look more favorably upon?

As for the two schools specifically, I'd be interested to hear from current/former students. How are the communities--are there social opportunities outside of partying? Do postgrads compete or cooperate? Do students get internships during and/or after the programme? It seems like this would be better in Geneva, given the number of think tanks, NGOs, and international institutions headquartered there. At LSE, are there postgraduate social opportunities, and do postgrads participate in student clubs and associations? At IHEID, is there a life on campus, or do people just come for class and then go their separate ways?

Some background: I'm American, coming from a medium-large US university. I didn't really like it. I'm interested in international security and conflict, and would like to work for an international institution. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by troiani
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, and after several months of lurking here I decided to just ask. I hold an offer for the MSc Conflict Studies at LSE, and I think I will be offered one for the MA International Relations/Political Science at the Graduate Institute (IHEID). I'm conflicted between which of the two I should attend, if I do get into IHEID. On the one hand, LSE seems to have a more globally renowned name, but IHEID looks fascinating. LSE is a one year programme and IHEID is two, I'm not sure which one of these will set me up for a better future. Optimally, I'd like to take a year or two after postgraduate to work before doing a DPhil/PhD. Does one year or two years matter for this? Which would potential employers look more favorably upon?

As for the two schools specifically, I'd be interested to hear from current/former students. How are the communities--are there social opportunities outside of partying? Do postgrads compete or cooperate? Do students get internships during and/or after the programme? It seems like this would be better in Geneva, given the number of think tanks, NGOs, and international institutions headquartered there. At LSE, are there postgraduate social opportunities, and do postgrads participate in student clubs and associations? At IHEID, is there a life on campus, or do people just come for class and then go their separate ways?

Some background: I'm American, coming from a medium-large US university. I didn't really like it. I'm interested in international security and conflict, and would like to work for an international institution. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi!

Very interesting thread! I'm in a very similar position in terms of courses and field of interest, but different options as universities.

Hope someone helps here! Since unfortunately I know very little to nothing about the IHEID :frown:

But congrats on your LSE offer, that's a very interesting program!

Would you mind sharing some more information about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Spuyi
Hi!

Very interesting thread! I'm in a very similar position in terms of courses and field of interest, but different options as universities.

Hope someone helps here! Since unfortunately I know very little to nothing about the IHEID :frown:

But congrats on your LSE offer, that's a very interesting program!

Would you mind sharing some more information about you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!

Thanks for the congrats, I'm really excited. As for more info: I'm happy to share, if you have any specific questions. I'm currently finishing up at the University of Pennsylvania, where I study Political Science and Classics.

What universities/programmes are you considering?
Reply 3
Original post by troiani
Hey!

Thanks for the congrats, I'm really excited. As for more info: I'm happy to share, if you have any specific questions. I'm currently finishing up at the University of Pennsylvania, where I study Political Science and Classics.

What universities/programmes are you considering?

I'll be sending you a PM. :smile:
Reply 4
Hey! My gf and I both went to Penn! She's going into IR and doesnt know whether to go IHEID or LSE. Where did you end up?

And didn't like Penn? Such a shame, I had a blast haha

PS: sorry if this msg comes up twice had some issues
Reply 5
Hey! My girlfriend and I both went to Penn (class of '16) and wondering abiut LSE vs IHEID, where did you end up? Also didn't really like Penn? I had a blast haha
Reply 6
Any updates on this thread?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending