The Student Room Group

Bristol or Exeter?

I have a conditional from both Bristol and Exeter to study Classics in 2017 but I can't decide which one to choose. Exeter is rated more highly for Classics being 5th in the UK whilst Bristol is only 12th but I really like Bristol as a city (I love both courses so that isn't really a factor) I haven't been to see Exeter yet so I was just wondering about current student's views of both unis? Thanks 😃

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really why? :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your help definitely more interested in Bristol as a city!
Reply 3
you should visit exeter and compare the two, it'll be hard to get an unbiased opinion tbh
Reply 4
Original post by Arima
you should visit exeter and compare the two, it'll be hard to get an unbiased opinion tbh

Yeah i'm planning to visit both in March at the same time so I can fully compare thanks :smile:
Original post by Lila204
Yeah i'm planning to visit both in March at the same time so I can fully compare thanks :smile:

Don't decide until then.
Original post by Lila204
I have a conditional from both Bristol and Exeter to study Classics in 2017 but I can't decide which one to choose. Exeter is rated more highly for Classics being 5th in the UK whilst Bristol is only 12th but I really like Bristol as a city (I love both courses so that isn't really a factor) I haven't been to see Exeter yet so I was just wondering about current student's views of both unis? Thanks 😃

Domestic league tables are utter shite. They factor in facility spending/student satisfaction equally to more important factors such as employer reputation/research output/ alumni success. If you want a better league table, check the world rankings.

Anyways, I would suggest Bristol is better, simply because of the fact that it's more reputable. Yes, it may seem very narrow sighted, but employers aren't going to check which one offers the better classics course, they're just going to base it off general reputation. The University you go to, provided is good, doesn't matter heavily, but you wanna make sure you go to the best one you can, just to maximise any little advantage.

In summary, Bristol is certainly more prestigious, but if there's a fundamental dislike you have with their course, then pick Exeter.
could you please describe your personality and then I could give you a good answer
Reply 8
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Domestic league tables are utter shite. They factor in facility spending/student satisfaction equally to more important factors such as employer reputation/research output/ alumni success. If you want a better league table, check the world rankings.

Anyways, I would suggest Bristol is better, simply because of the fact that it's more reputable. Yes, it may seem very narrow sighted, but employers aren't going to check which one offers the better classics course, they're just going to base it off general reputation. The University you go to, provided is good, doesn't matter heavily, but you wanna make sure you go to the best one you can, just to maximise any little advantage.

In summary, Bristol is certainly more prestigious, but if there's a fundamental dislike you have with their course, then pick Exeter.

Thanks for the advice I love the course at Bristol was just concerned about the uni's rankings but evidently that doesn't matter to employers! Thanks x
Reply 9
Original post by sleepysnooze
could you please describe your personality and then I could give you a good answer

Sure; I'm introverted, like being around a close group of friends and going out with them, I hate large crowds and big cities like London and I like cities that are fairly small but still have a good variety of cultural aspects like theatres, galleries, nice shops etc. Thanks
Reply 10
'Bristol is certainly more prestigious'

Well, that is certainly ********.

Don't base your decision off of people's opinion on the internet, go and visit Exeter and compare it to Bristol and decide which one you prefer.
Original post by Lila204
Sure; I'm introverted, like being around a close group of friends and going out with them, I hate large crowds and big cities like London and I like cities that are fairly small but still have a good variety of cultural aspects like theatres, galleries, nice shops etc. Thanks

well exeter is a quite small town (or technically a city - as it has a cathedral in the city centre) so you'll probably be fine here - but just because it's a smaller town than bristol that doesn't mean it's going to be that much better for you - it will be somewhat most preferable I think if we're only talking about the setting
Reply 12
well exeter is a quite small town (or technically a city - as it has a cathedral in the city centre) so you'll probably be fine here - but just because it's a smaller town than bristol that doesn't mean it's going to be that much better for you - it will be somewhat most preferable I think if we're only talking about the setting

Thanks would you say Exeter was similar to Durham in the size/type of city? What is Exeter like in terms of student life?
Reply 13
Original post by Karmaic
'Bristol is certainly more prestigious'

Well, that is certainly ********.

Don't base your decision off of people's opinion on the internet, go and visit Exeter and compare it to Bristol and decide which one you prefer.

Yeah I'm planning too just wanted another opinion on both of them :smile:
Original post by Lila204
Thanks would you say Exeter was similar to Durham in the size/type of city? What is Exeter like in terms of student life?

I've personally not seen durham - that was always a bit too far up the league ladder for me - exeter was pretty much at the top for me
what do you mean student life? night life? it's really **** in my opinion but it's a good kind of "everybody's in the same boat so whatever" sort of ****.
Reply 15
I've personally not seen durham - that was always a bit too far up the league ladder for me - exeter was pretty much at the top for me
what do you mean student life? night life? it's really **** in my opinion but it's a good kind of "everybody's in the same boat so whatever" sort of ****.

Yeh and just in general what the city was like for students? Thanks seems like a nice place
Original post by Lila204

Exeter is a beautiful city and the campus is far better than Bristol. I know many people from Bristol who all went to Exeter to study!

Go and see before you decide :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is a beautiful city and the campus is far better than Bristol. I know many people from Bristol who all went to Exeter to study!

Go and see before you decide :smile:

Yeh definitely will both seem like amazing places!
Original post by Lila204
Yeh definitely will both seem like amazing places!

Personally I've never known someone choose Bristol over Exeter - the choice of halls and other accommodation ia also far superior.

At Exeter there is an amazing new Student building, new Sports centre and student well-being is taken very seriously.
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
Personally I've never known someone choose Bristol over Exeter - the choice of halls and other accommodation ia also far superior.

At Exeter there is an amazing new Student building, new Sports centre and student well-being is taken very seriously.

Really because my friend visited exeter and didn't rate the accommodation? What accommodation would you recommend? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending