The Student Room Group

Are apprenticeships worth it over university?

I have been looking into apprenticeships (mainly accountancy) and I am not sure whether it pays well and whether or not you get a decent job at the end. I have also looked into university and know that uni comes with a big debt to pay.

So is university worth it or are apprenticeships the way to go?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Want_To_Achieve
I have been looking into apprenticeships (mainly accountancy) and I am not sure whether it pays well and whether or not you get a decent job at the end. I have also looked into university and know that uni comes with a big debt to pay.

u can apply to both and decide on results day😄 Accounting apprenticeships are pretty good if they lead to u becoming Chartered.
Reply 2
Well for accountancy it is worth it because whether you do a degree or not you need an ACCA qualification (or equivalent). There are good schemes like the EY school leaver programme. I know someone with 4A*s who did that programme. He's now 23 and now up for a managerial role.
Reply 3

They are definitely worth it, since you'll end up with the exact same job as those with a degree, except you'll have more experience and as well no university debt to pay off.

There are many threads of people sharing their experience, so on the top right hand corner on the search box type in "accounting apprenticeships".

I have a friend doing the same right now, I'd personally go for uni but that's me and i've always wanted to go, with the apprenticeship route you obviously avoid the debt altogether and get paid for it It's also possible to take certain exams as I can understand to become a chartered accountant within 3/4years, and then get a good job from there. The actual apprenticeship I won't imagine pays that well as you do it, but I would think you would get a guaranteed job at the end which would pay well.
Now re-opened
Original post by dom117117
u can apply to both and decide on results day😄 Accounting apprenticeships are pretty good if they lead to u becoming Chartered.

That's how I did it! :tongue:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4233122
(edited 7 years ago)
For accountancy its worth it, in my opinion.
Especially if you get in with the big 4, at the end you'll be a chartered accountant with a permanent job :smile:
did u choose uni or a apprenticeship?😄
did u choose uni or a apprenticeship?😄

Apprenticeship (though I should probably say it wasn't in accountancy) :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by brainzistheword
Apprenticeship (though I should probably say it wasn't or accountancy) :biggrin:
what work do u do? Just looked at your thread and u could of went to a top uni with ur grades😄
what work do u do? Just looked at your thread and u could of went to a top uni with ur grades😄

It's engineering - and thanks! It was such a tough choice and I literally left it till last minute :colondollar:
Original post by brainzistheword
It's engineering - and thanks! It was such a tough choice and I literally left it till last minute :colondollar:
must of been😄 Well done engineering is hard to get into.
must of been😄 Well done engineering is hard to get into.

Thank you! At the time I applied, I wasn't really considering the route, I just wanted the experience of the application process, but then I guess somewhere along the line I changed my mind :biggrin:
Original post by Moogle679
I have a friend doing the same right now, I'd personally go for uni but that's me and i've always wanted to go, with the apprenticeship route you obviously avoid the debt altogether and get paid for it It's also possible to take certain exams as I can understand to become a chartered accountant within 3/4years, and then get a good job from there. The actual apprenticeship I won't imagine pays that well as you do it, but I would think you would get a guaranteed job at the end which would pay well.

accounting ones pay pretty good for 18 yr olds, around the region of £19-21k for London pre-tax

NAO one pays the most I think at £23k but you don't get raises as quickly

I think after 3-4 years you're earning over £35k at least
Reply 15

Apprenticeships usually lead to proper jobs with the company you have the apprenticeship with. The actual apprenticeship pays some money but depends on your luck. Some pay barely the apprenticeship minimum, others pay normal wages. Either way, it's still better than university debt.

Once you're over with the apprenticeship, you will already have more work experience in the field than anyone doing same thing at university. You will also come out with some sort of a related qualification. What job you'll find afterwards is up to you but you will have a good few years of experience.
Can you start apprenticeships at 16 in accountancy for courses like AAT or for school leaver schemes like EY, PwC, etc?
Can you start apprenticeships at 16 in accountancy for courses like AAT or for school leaver schemes like EY, PwC, etc?
the good ones are usually for those that completed college (A Levels) as they let u work towards become a Chartered Account. I think the school ones have u work to becoming a accounting technician less pay then you'd have to work to become Chartered after that😄
the good ones are usually for those that completed college (A Levels) as they let u work towards become a Chartered Account. I think the school ones have u work to becoming a accounting technician less pay then you'd have to work to become Chartered after that😄

So you can't start at 16??
So you can't start at 16??
Yes u can but you wouldn't be a accountant afterword. You'd have to apply before your GCSE's such as the autumn before. I haven't personally heard of anyone taking a accountancy apprenticeship after gcse as you won't be an accountant afterwords you'd be a technician. You'd then have to apply again for a college leaver programme or continue technician work as most compaines don't include you becoming Chartered from the programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending