The Student Room Group

Preparing for OASC - How in depth does my RAF Structure knowledge need to be?

Hi guys

I am about to submit my RAF Officer (Pilot) application and I have begun to compile research notes in preparation for my filter interview and should everything go smoothly, ultimately an OASC interview.

In terms of the structure of the RAF as an organisation, how in depth does my knowledge need to be? For instance (and I know this is vague), in terms of RAF structure is knowing the main bases and which aircraft operate out of them and their purpose enough knowledge or would I be expected to know every squadron, which aircraft is in each and their history?

I'm likely to be a bit more active on here moving forward so let me introduce myself - most of my previous activity was in Upper 6th and first year of uni a couple of years ago when I was an aspiring Investment Banker! I ended up being a broker in the City for a top 3 firm, I hated it and realised I made a massive mistake swaying from my previous dream of being in the forces. Just turned 24 and looking forward to the recruitment process.

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by EconWarrior
Hi guys

I am about to submit my RAF Officer (Pilot) application and I have begun to compile research notes in preparation for my filter interview and should everything go smoothly, ultimately an OASC interview.

In terms of the structure of the RAF as an organisation, how in depth does my knowledge need to be? For instance (and I know this is vague), in terms of RAF structure is knowing the main bases and which aircraft operate out of them and their purpose enough knowledge or would I be expected to know every squadron, which aircraft is in each and their history?

I'm likely to be a bit more active on here moving forward so let me introduce myself - most of my previous activity was in Upper 6th and first year of uni a couple of years ago when I was an aspiring Investment Banker! I ended up being a broker in the City for a top 3 firm, I hated it and realised I made a massive mistake swaying from my previous dream of being in the forces. Just turned 24 and looking forward to the recruitment process.

Cheers

The interview is only 40 minutes. They don't have time to go into the minutiae, considering the number of topics they have to cover.

If you can learn it, then you might as well, but don't lose sleep over it. The interview is only a little about your ability to retain information; it's also about what you do and how you react when you run out of information.
No matter how much you know, the interviewers will know more and their job is to lead you down a path you don't know the answer to.

Bases certainly, especially MOBs, sqns to some extent, aircraft yes. EAWs are worth knowing about to some degree. Know about recent and current deployments.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply, you have been really helpful. In your experience, besides the RAF website and this forum do you know of any goldmine's in terms of RAF material that would be worth trawling over in preparation?

Thank you once again.
Reply 3
Original post by EconWarrior
Thank you for your reply, you have been really helpful. In your experience, besides the RAF website and this forum do you know of any goldmine's in terms of RAF material that would be worth trawling over in preparation?

Thank you once again.

As much as it's derided elsewhere, wiki.
If you can get a copy of the RAF Annual from WHSmiths, that's not bad.

Between all of them you'll have the answers
EW,

Referring to your second paragraph you have a decent starter for 10. Knowing the MOBs and the aircraft types that operate at each would be a start, and what each does. Locations of permanent bases and longer term operations also. The more in depth you can go the better (RAF Annual (Magazine), Air Forces Monthly etc are good hard copies, books tend to date quicker). The same can be said for the training system; you should ideally be able to describe (at least roughly) your pathway from the carpet on day one in College Hall on IOT up to the point you are sent to an OCU.

Alongside that, and what Drewski mentions, know about NATO, what it is what it does etc, and how it differs to our involvement and relationship with the UN.
Reply 5
Thank you both very much. Annual review 2017 and 2016 ordered!

Quick Reply

Latest