The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't trust artificial intelligence at all.
Robots take everything literally, they could take over the world in order to give everybody life insurance... :s-smilie:
I read about this :afraid:

I really do need to get rich before I become obsolete, then I can become a full time ****boi.
Reply 3
Stephen Hawking was right...
Original post by Shadow Hunters
I don't trust artificial intelligence at all.
Robots take everything literally, they could take over the world in order to give everybody life insurance... :s-smilie:

That's how you maximise profit, injure everyone who is signed up. It's genius.
To be honest OP, A.I. calculating payouts isn't really a massive step, I mean if robots can actually design the risk models underlying insurance policies of calculate the value of investments over what time period an insurance company needs then I would be impressed, but I do think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here.
Reply 6
Humans will be obsolete within our lifetime.
Original post by l'etranger
To be honest OP, A.I. calculating payouts isn't really a massive step, I mean if robots can actually design the risk models underlying insurance policies of calculate the value of investments over what time period an insurance company needs then I would be impressed, but I do think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here.

Agreed. Offshoring was the big thing 5 - 10 years ago. It only worked out to an extent. Customers don't like the fact that companies offshore their customer relations and offshoring things like development is counterproductive in the medium to long term because you lose control of your products. It is also the case that creativity can not be offshored or artificial intelligenced.

Wasn't this one of the careers that some BBC article said had a high % predicted chance of being replaced by AI?
Original post by Vikingninja
Wasn't this one of the careers that some BBC article said had a high % predicted chance of being replaced by AI?

What profession, actuaries are pretty damn safe, accountants and underwriters will experiences some form of disruption, but actually all professions (actuaries included) have to develop with technology and eventually everything will go, even jobs like doctors. Stock brokers have been slaughtered though.
What profession, actuaries are pretty damn safe, accountants and underwriters not to such, but eventually everything will go, even jobs like doctors.

How will civilisation support itself with half the population out of work?
It's a trend that is going to continue. Computer Scientists and Philosophers have been predicting this for years now. I think it's pretty inevitable that we are about to undergo the biggest change in the structure of the labour market since the industrial revolution.

Original post by Pikachū

A universal wage is going to be absolutely necessary. Remember that these shifts in labour are not resulting in a reduction in economic output - more wealth is being created than before. The thing that is changing is wealth distribution, which is why new attitudes to wealth redistribution are going to be imperative.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pikachū

People will receive basic income, the elite will be made up of people who are either super creative or who have a significant investment portfolio and people will have to find meaning in their lives which does not rely on their occupation. I strongly dislike TRP, but the real reason for the rise in manosphere groups like this is the obsolescence of provider men in favour of ''Chads''. 50 years ago being stable and middle class meant you married well, as we approach a post scarcity world, being the stable option matters less when it comes to getting girls and this is what men are waking up to.
Original post by Plagioclase
It's a trend that is going to continue. Computer Scientists and Philosophers have been predicting this for years now. I think it's pretty inevitable that we are about to undergo the biggest change in the structure of the labour market since the industrial revolution.

A universal wage is going to be absolutely necessary. Remember that these shifts in labour are not resulting in a reduction in economic output - more wealth is being created than before. The thing that is changing is wealth distribution, which is why new attitudes to wealth redistribution are going to be imperative.

One of the biggest issues in Britain and America is this weird Protestant mindset that your job is what defines your value as a person and as technology advances so much so that even white collar intellectual jobs can be done both cheaper and to a higher standard by A.I. than by a human we will have to reassess our cultural mindset.
AI future utopia incoming.

People will receive basic income, the elite will be made up of people who are either super creative or who have a significant investment portfolio and people will have to find meaning in their lives which does not rely on their occupation. I strongly dislike TRP, but the real reason for the rise in manosphere groups like this is the obsolescence of provider men in favour of ''Chads''. 50 years ago being stable and middle class meant you married well, as we approach a post scarcity world, being the stable option matters less when it comes to getting girls and this is what men are waking up to.

Even with a universal wage, that's not the main issue. It's boredom. For most men, going to work is what keeps them sane. I just can't imagine millions of people with nothing to do their entire lives. It could very well collapse from inside out. I wouldn't doubt the suicide rate skyrocketing particulary in men as the provider role will be completely gone.
One of the biggest issues in Britain and America is this weird Protestant mindset that your job is what defines your value as a person and as technology advances so much so that even white collar intellectual jobs can be done both cheaper and to a higher standard by A.I. than by a human we will have to reassess our cultural mindset.

You're correct that this is an issue, and it's precisely the reason why the media and people in general are still treating this as some kind of a quirky joke ("haha, robots are taking over the world":wink: rather than taking it seriously. People are in absolute denial that their jobs could be displaced. However, I'm not really sure why you're calling this "weird" - I certainly feel absolutely horrified about the prospect that my chosen career path could be rendered totally redundant.

If we assume that these changes are going to be inevitable then yes, there is going to need to be a change in the cultural mindset. One problem though is that whilst the rise of AI is inevitable, civilization's ability to respond in a socially responsible manner most certainly is not. Unless some pretty serious international structures are put in place to redistribute wealth, the rise of AI is going to be accompanied by the increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of the global technocratic elite. And given the fact that in the current global climate any kind of reference to wealth distribution seems to initiate some kind of a McCarthian response, I'm seriously concerned about this.

People always assume that the trajectory of human development is positive. I think that is a very questionable assumption, particularly given the talks I've been to at the Future of Humanity Institute.

Original post by Pikachū
Even with a universal wage, that's not the main issue. It's boredom. For most men, going to work is what keeps them sane. I just can't imagine millions of people with nothing to do their entire lives. It could very well collapse from inside out. I wouldn't doubt the suicide rate skyrocketing particulary in men as the provider role will be completely gone.

It's a worry (although I don't know why you're talking about men, this is not a gender issue), but I don't think this is as big an issue as wealth redistribution. At a talk I went to on this topic, they made the prediction that whilst these changes would be accompanied by an increase in free time (which is not a bad thing), it would be accompanied by a shift towards new sectors such as the voluntary sector or the creative sector. Of course though, this would be pretty bad for the uneducated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pikachū

I get where you're coming from but at the same time I think we're becoming increasingly used to doing "nothing". The rise of social media and interactive technology means we're spending more and more time outwith the "real world".

For all we know when it comes to a point where actual AI has reformed society, we could all be living in some big virtual reality bubble.

Then again maybe I've been watching too much Black Mirror. Something like San Junipero I could definitely see being a future reality.
Original post by Pikachū

I agree, men are naturally competitive, violent and horny as hell so there will have to be an expansion of access to sports and leisure. Reminds me of fightclub actually.

You're correct that this is an issue, and it's precisely the reason why the media and people in general are still treating this as some kind of a quirky joke ("haha, robots are taking over the world" rather than taking it seriously. People are in absolute denial that their jobs could be displaced. However, I'm not really sure why you're calling this "weird" - I certainly feel absolutely horrified about the prospect that my chosen career path could be rendered totally redundant.

If we assume that these changes are going to be inevitable then yes, there is going to need to be a change in the cultural mindset. One problem though is that whilst the rise of AI is inevitable, civilization's ability to respond in a socially responsible manner most certainly is not. Unless some pretty serious international structures are put in place to redistribute wealth, the rise of AI is going to be accompanied by the increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of the global technocratic elite. And given the fact that in the current global climate any kind of reference to wealth distribution seems to initiate some kind of a McCarthian response, I'm seriously concerned about this.

People always assume that the trajectory of human development is positive. I think that is a very questionable assumption, particularly given the talks I've been to at the Future of Humanity Institute.

The thing I find weird is the attitude that poor people or those who don't work are somehow less valuable as people, this is not something I am saying out of reasons of personal motivation, I've simply never had much respect for position or wealth.

It's a worry (although I don't know why you're talking about men, this is not a gender issue), but I don't think this is as big an issue as wealth redistribution. At a talk I went to on this topic, they made the prediction that whilst these changes would be accompanied by an increase in free time (which is not a bad thing), it would be accompanied by a shift towards new sectors such as the voluntary sector or the creative sector. Of course though, this would be pretty bad for the uneducated.

Gender relations is a personal interest and traditionally men have derived their self-worth from their work but before you accuse me of misogyny, this is something I find pathetic except in the cases of men who run their own businesses or work in ideologically motivated jobs.
Soon they'll need my clothes boots and my motorcycle :hmmmm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending