The Student Room Group

Durham Supported Progression

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, I'm new :smile:

On the subject of Supported Progression, I got my email 40 mins ago and got in! They haven't allocated me a subject yet but I'll be doing either history or sociology, so excited! Is anyone else doing the scheme this year?

Scroll to see replies

I got my email at around the same time too. Didn't get my preferred tho, I was realllyyyy hoping for biology but ended up being allocated sport.

Still happy tho, but... man I wanted biology...
Reply 2
Original post by __martin__
I got my email at around the same time too. Didn't get my preferred tho, I was realllyyyy hoping for biology but ended up being allocated sport.

Still happy tho, but... man I wanted biology...

Ah man sorry to hear. Don't think I'm gonna get my preferred either tbh- my GCSEs weren't fantastic.
Oh well, least we both got in!
I applied but haven't heard back yet - really hope I do soon!!
Congratulations to the both of you! :h:
I applied for Maths (mathematical sciences on the form) with Physics as my second choice. Tbh I'll still be reasonable happy with Physics, as long as I get onto the programme!!
Reply 4
Original post by NiamhM1801
I applied for Maths (mathematical sciences on the form) with Physics as my second choice. Tbh I'll still be reasonable happy with Physics, as long as I get onto the programme!!

Thank you!
Don't worry about it, I've asked all of my friends who have applied and none of them have gotten their email yet either. Let us know when you do :smile:
Original post by colorado
Ah man sorry to hear. Don't think I'm gonna get my preferred either tbh- my GCSEs weren't fantastic.
Oh well, least we both got in!

I ended up contacting them lol to make sure there's no chance; I think Biology just had a ton of applicants and they gave me sport because I mentioned I'll probably be competing regionally this year. I didn't even take PE for my GCSE lol.

UCAS points will be nice tho either way. I'm sure it's gonna be good.

I really took a liking to maths in Y11 and now in Y12 - but since I didn't take further maths I don't know if I can study it anywhere.

Sooo many things I wish I could change now about my GCSE choices too.

Good luck to you, hopefully you'll get an email soon!
I wanted bio too! But I was given Modern Languages instead, at least I got in though!
Reply 8
Yay!!

Which welcome event are you guys going to? Think I'm going on the 21st :smile:
Thank you!
Don't worry about it, I've asked all of my friends who have applied and none of them have gotten their email yet either. Let us know when you do :smile:

Ah that's quite reassuring then, thanks :smile: I will do!

I really took a liking to maths in Y11 and now in Y12 - but since I didn't take further maths I don't know if I can study it anywhere.

Sooo many things I wish I could change now about my GCSE choices too.

Good luck to you, hopefully you'll get an email soon!

I know a few people who now regret not taking further maths as they've grown to like maths more. The top unis often make it a requirement, I'm afraid :frown:

Really? What would you change? I would have done French instead of PE looking back, would have got a much better grade for it!

Thank you, and I hope so too! (Still waiting!)
I think I'll be going to one in February, not sure which one though
I would have took Engineering instead of German, at GCSE and as for A-levels, I love biology and don't regret wanting a career in it but I often find myself wondering what it would be like to be doing maths, further maths, and computer science.

IMO we had to make too many major life decisions too early without having the appropriate time to consider our choices.
IMO we had to make too many major life decisions too early without having the appropriate time to consider our choices.

You're not half wrong. Fortunately universities are beginning to realise this and offer Foundation Year programs for people in that position in basically every subject now! Doesn't mitigate your point, though.

I would have done French instead of PE looking back, would have got a much better grade for it!

I know so many people who were convinced they were going to study French at A Level/Uni back in Year 9 who took it and ended up hating it so much. PE sucks sure but French is mental torture :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
I would have took Engineering instead of German, at GCSE and as for A-levels, I love biology and don't regret wanting a career in it but I often find myself wondering what it would be like to be doing maths, further maths, and computer science.

I didn't even know Engineering was a GCSE! :lol:. What stopped you choosing those subjects in the first place?

Original post by SkyRees
I know so many people who were convinced they were going to study French at A Level/Uni back in Year 9 who took it and ended up hating it so much. PE sucks sure but French is mental torture :tongue:

I never wanted to take it further than GCSE but PE was such a mistake!! I liked French, a lot, and was pretty good at it too. It would have been the better choice. Besides, in my school French was reasonably well-liked :tongue:
I didn't even know Engineering was a GCSE! :lol:. What stopped you choosing those subjects in the first place?

I never wanted to take it further than GCSE but PE was such a mistake!! I liked French, a lot, and was pretty good at it too. It would have been the better choice. Besides, in my school French was reasonably well-liked :tongue:

I didn't really think I'd like it until Y11 :/
Hi guys, I just contacted SP as I still hadn't heard anything back - turns out I'd written down my email incorrectly on the form! :facepalm:

I got in!! And I got my preferred subject too - Mathematical Sciences (Maths) :biggrin:
I'm absolutely over the moon! :h:
Reply 16
Hi guys, I just contacted SP as I still hadn't heard anything back - turns out I'd written down my email incorrectly on the form! :facepalm:

I got in!! And I got my preferred subject too - Mathematical Sciences (Maths) :biggrin:
I'm absolutely over the moon! :h:

Yay! Congratulations :smile:
Hopefully will be seeing you there
Yay! Congratulations :smile:
Hopefully will be seeing you there

Thank you! :smile:
Yes, hopefully I will!
Reply 18
Congratulations!! Anyone going to the welcome session on Jan 21st?
Reply 19
Btw does anyone know if this project we have to do during the summer residential will be difficult? And if the conditional offer depends on whether you've done the project well enough or not? If everyone did well on the project would they all get an offer or are there only so many places? Sorry for bringing any downer onto this 😂😂

Quick Reply

Latest