The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Knee Grow
Not necessarily, A* in further is possible without a* maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair.
Was going to ask why, but.... lol meh
Original post by jneill
I *expect* you will get a 3 A-level offer. So probably A*AA.

Soz...

When I was talking to an Emmanuel AT they said in the situation where people already have A*s they would try offer without A* but still with 3 e.g. AAA instead of A*AA or A*AA instead of A*A*A... However they did point out it is entirely under their discretion, so it could be A*A*A* just as much lol.
Original post by CutieTootsie
Fair.
Was going to ask why, but.... lol meh

The A* in Maths requires 90% in C3 & C4. So in theory they could miss the C3 & C4 requirement and get an A but still get A* in FM.

It's not likely... but could happen.
Original post by domaths
When I was talking to an Emmanuel AT they said in the situation where people already have A*s they would try offer without A* but still with 3 e.g. AAA instead of A*AA or A*AA instead of A*A*A... However they did point out it is entirely under their discretion, so it could be A*A*A* just as much lol.

Yes I think Peterhouse said something similar. But yeah anything could happen. Better to expect the worst offer (at least it's an offer...) :smile:
Original post by Christie_xx
omg no ill go watch it now :lol::lol:

Keeping in mind Cohen is a Christ's alumna. :smile:
Reply 885
Original post by Frobisher
Anyone know what the protocol is for Pembroke? Whether we'll hear by email etc?

It's a letter!
Original post by jneill
A rejection is, unfortunately, more likely to be just because they physically don't have enough spaces. There a more excellent candidates who would do well at Cambridge than they have places for.

There's a Cambridge study somewhere about the outcomes of rejected students at their final university: they do better than the "average" candidates to those universities :smile:

Edit: found it
http://www.cao.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.cao.cam.ac.uk/files/ar_ums_performance_he_destination_of_cambridge_applicants.pdf

These official documents you post always put me in an emotional state and make me want to cry...
Original post by Joannn
How about eu students? Do you think Cambridge might be a little more lenient when it comes to assessing eu students' applications? And as far as I remeber, Cambridge interviews everyone, who "has a realistic chance of getting an offer". So, does it mean if your bmat score was abysmal, you'd get a pre-interview rejection? And if you get an interview, it means your bmat is passable..? I just want to relieve stress before the 12th...😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps Cambridge will want to demonstrate the negative effect on EU intake resulting from the Brexit vote, and so will be harsher on EU applicants in order to prove the point.
Original post by Oddwatermelon
These official documents you post always put me in an emotional state and make me want to cry...

But they should be reassuring for your self esteem. That is one is not 'rejected', but just not as good as the very best. Don't cry.
Reply 889
Original post by jneill
A rejection is, unfortunately, more likely to be just because they physically don't have enough spaces. There a more excellent candidates who would do well at Cambridge than they have places for.

There's a Cambridge study somewhere about the outcomes of rejected students at their final university: they do better than the "average" candidates to those universities :smile:

http://www.cao.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.cao.cam.ac.uk/files/ar_ums_performance_he_destination_of_cambridge_applicants.pdf

Interesting to see that the average best 3 UMS mean is just over 93%, I thought it would be higher for some reason. I wonder if that's the reasoning behind the 93% figure used in the UMS autopooling system.
Original post by Bunratty
Perhaps Cambridge will want to demonstrate the negative effect on EU intake resulting from the Brexit vote, and so will be harsher on EU applicants in order to prove the point.

Or offer places to as many as possible before they lose the chance to do so :wink:
How much emphasis do they put on the admissions test I.e. ENGAA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
to all my fellow applicants on Thursday,

it is what it is

:smile: :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
But they should be reassuring for your self esteem. That is one is not 'rejected', but just not as good as the very best. Don't cry.

Don't worry I'm not going to, it was a tongue in cheek comment! My UMS average is 91.5% across 2 subjects, so I don't even have a proper average, it just hits you how tough the competition is! Wish I didn't get such a low UMS in one of my subjects :angry:
Original post by platelet
Or offer places to as many as possible before they lose the chance to do so :wink:

Or maybe, just maybe, it will make no difference whatsoever, like most Cambridge decision guessing.

However, universities and Brexit are rather intertwined at present. Big money is involved.
@jneill I got a call on Friday inviting me for reinterview, and they said they would email me shortly. This email still hasn't come, do you think I should ring them up tomorrow? I am staring to worry they made a mistake!

That's already had an effect actually. Numbers of applicants from the EU are down on prior years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
@jneill I got a call on Friday inviting me for reinterview, and they said they would email me shortly. This email still hasn't come, do you think I should ring them up tomorrow? I am staring to worry they made a mistake!
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Don't worry I'm not going to, it was a tongue in cheek comment! My UMS average is 91.5% across 2 subjects, so I don't even have a proper average, it just hits you how tough the competition is! Wish I didn't get such a low UMS in one of my subjects :angry:

But UMS across best 3 subjects is what is considered.
Original post by jneill

trust economics to be 2nd highest for UMS :'(

Btw jneill are you planning to match peoples AA self-assessments you collected with their offer outcome?

Latest

Trending

Trending