The Student Room Group

Why is this subforum so right-wing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Are you an ancap?

Black and yellow til the day I die.
Original post by l'etranger
Either a wealthy city state built by capitalism of become a wildman in America. Literally those are my ideals, gangster banker city states and pioneer frontier life. Cities like London are the most degenerate government funded hellholes on the world, I'd sooner live in Iraq with all the terrorism and violence.

Well, each to their own I suppose...
Either a wealthy city state built by capitalism of become a wildman in America. Literally those are my ideals, gangster banker city states and pioneer frontier life. Cities like London are the most degenerate government funded hellholes on the world, I'd sooner live in Iraq with all the terrorism and violence.

Something like Monaco? Or Liechtenstein? Don't know much about them so can't say
Original post by Pikachū
Something like Monaco? Or Liechtenstein? Don't know much about them so can't say

Yesss. I will be happy when the West falls from power.
Yesss. I will be happy when the West falls from power.

Nightmare. China will care about themselves only.

Regardless I don't think it'll happen in our lifetime. US is still lightyears ahead of anyone militarily.
Original post by Pikachū
Nightmare. China will care about themselves only.

Regardless I don't think it'll happen in our lifetime. US is still lightyears ahead of anyone militarily.

Cannot wait. They're like effective sociopaths, you can understand them easily. The West has too many hang-ups. SJW's wouldn't get far in China at all.
Cannot wait. They're like effective sociopaths, you can understand them easily. The West has too many hang-ups. SJW's wouldn't get far in China at all.

/pol/ has taught me they're all soulless, and I agree. I have no doubt they will annex Siberia/Mongolia once they get strong enough.
Original post by Zargabaath

ie the policy which had held the US together since the Missouri Compromise of 1820.

And of course the rest of the world abolished chattel slavery by incremental action and without 750,000 dead on the field of battle.
Original post by Pikachū
/pol/ has taught me they're all soulless, and I agree. I have no doubt they will annex Siberia/Mongolia once they get strong enough.

I would respect them if they did it and I would respect Russia if they nuked them for it. I hate the way the West claims moral superiority and tries to play world police, White people always criticise the British empire for its treatment of Africans and Asians, but actually it was the same mentality which made White people do that, which makes us create the UN or play peacekeeper in Africa. We think the rest of the world is stupid and that if we micromanage them enough they will be like us and it will make them better people, when it fact that's the reason they hate us. It's all the same Biblical White man's burden ******** from the moment we took the first slave to the moment we sent UN peacekeepers to rape Black people in the Central African Republic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

What I mean about defensive is that the left is basically deing as a strong political and economic force and to hold any real left position is to place oneself on the fringe which means you have to be able to argue against so much that so many consider common sense which then makes you start to doubt yourself.

I feel your pain.

For quite some time I was on the left, a Trot, indeed, and spent many fruitless hours arguing against people on the right who used dreadful weapons like common sense.

Then I decided to join them.

Come and join us on the dark side. You won't be cool or "right on" any more. But you will, at least, be thinking and espousing common sense.

It is intellectually liberating, believe me.
Original post by astutehirstute
I feel your pain.

For quite some time I was on the left, a Trot, indeed, and spent many fruitless hours arguing against people on the right who used dreadful weapons like common sense.

Then I decided to join them.

Come and join us on the dark side. You won't be cool or "right on" any more. But you will, at least, be thinking and espousing common sense.

It is intellectually liberating, believe me.

Well a lot of the common sense is common sense in the way it used to be common sense that the earth was the centre of the universe. Economics obsession with equilibrium for example. I imagine it was hard being Galileo.
Original post by MrDystopia
If it puts your mind at ease, there are a range of political views in the staff.

It must be just the left wing ones censoring perfectly unexceptionable posts then.

Purely on the grounds of personal political disagreement.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well a lot of the common sense is common sense in the way it used to be common sense that the earth was the centre of the universe. Economics obsession with equilibrium for example. I imagine it was hard being Galileo.

No it is the common sense of the earth orbiting the sun as a small speck in the universe.

There is no left wing Galileo nowadays, that is for sure. After all, he is a dead white man so what did he know anyway? :smile:

Far better to get our ideas of the cosmos from the Aztecs...

https://www.theguardian.com/education/commentisfree/2015/mar/23/philosophy-white-men-university-courses
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
I actually don't believe you

Ukip: Rueue
Tories: Dystopia, Financier, Adam, Jarred (SL), Mad Vlad (best mod ever, his attitude to people was hilarious), The History Bore
Lib Dem: Airmed
Green: Miser (SL)
Labour: Probably a few
Original post by nulli tertius
ie the policy which had held the US together since the Missouri Compromise of 1820.

And of course the rest of the world abolished chattel slavery by incremental action and without 750,000 dead on the field of battle.

As much as people love Lincoln for freeing the slaves, is he not quoted as saying something along the lines of 'if i could win this war without freeing a single slave, i would'.

I'm not surprised at much of what pre-civil war US did given that children often take after the parent.

I would respect them if they did it and I would respect Russia if they nuked them for it. I hate the way the West claims moral superiority and tries to play world police, White people always criticise the British empire for its treatment of Africans and Asians, but actually it was the same mentality which made White people do that, which makes us create the UN or play peacekeeper in Africa. We think the rest of the world is stupid and that if we micromanage them enough they will be like us and it will make them better people, when it fact that's the reason they hate us. It's all the same Biblical White man's burden ******** from the moment we took the first slave to the moment we sent UN peacekeepers to rape Black people in the Central African Republic.

That's because it's mostly true. Even the Chinese today are not free.

Hell, we left the Africans alone 60 years ago and they are pouring into Europe. If we left the Middle East tomorrow we'd either have a genocidal dictator or an ISIS state on our doorstep.

The world is chaotic and though you may think the west is horrid, our actions are the least worst solution.
Original post by Rakas21
As much as people love Lincoln for freeing the slaves, is he not quoted as saying something along the lines of 'if i could win this war without freeing a single slave, i would'.

I'm not surprised at much of what pre-civil war US did given that children often take after the parent.

In the last 10 years or so, new information has come out about Somerset's Case. That is the case from 1772 where the Lord Mansfield is misreported as saying "The air of England is too pure for a slave to breathe; let the black go free". What has turned up in American archives is the sheer number of American colonists who were in court in London observing the case. American reaction to this abolitionist decision has been written out of the narrative of the American Revolution and is only now being reclaimed.

The British Empire of course abolishes slavery in 1833.
Original post by Rakas21
Ukip: Rueue
Tories: Dystopia, Financier, Adam, Jarred (SL), Mad Vlad (best mod ever, his attitude to people was hilarious), The History Bore
Lib Dem: Airmed
Green: Miser (SL)
Labour: Probably a few

ehh I'll have to see it to believe it
what about gothic kitten? they report like every other day for nothing
Because Islamophobia
It takes a lot of energy to argue with hard-right and so-called alt-right people online, and most of the time your efforts are wasted because they either won't acknowledge your post, or they will dismiss it out of hand as lies. After a short time most people give up. They are a (very) vocal minority who are best ignored.

Original post by Craghyrax
Because this is the only place right wing kids can spout off without being social outcasts, and the rest of us got bored/fed up and moved on :sadnod:

Yer.
Original post by Mathemagicien
As @ChaoticButterfly says, common sense is often wrong. Its often right, too, but my point is that you shouldn't rely on it. There are many rigorous arguments to be had to support any view; go out and find them.

I agree.

But so much of what the left espouses is against common sense, that was my point.

The right? Not so much.

I don't know why that should be, but if I were to hazard a guess I would probably posit that it is because the left has such an unrealistic and idealistic view of human nature. The right just recognises humanity for what it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending