The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
Just curious, If I defer an offer from an uni abroad, can I apply to Cambridge when holding that offer?

The answer used to be that it was ok but I've seen comments to the contrary this year. Perhaps @Murray Edwards Admissions could confirm?
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Yeah I guessed that'd be why, but it does look strange to me haha! The only time I've ever seen people dressed so smartly was at my year 11 prom :h: Plus, it's even weirder to see actual students walking around doing normal daily activities. Every other time I've been to Cambridge it's been outside term time or at the very end of term, so very few students were still here. The whole place feels too populated compared to my other visits haha! :smile:

Wait... I didn't think it was term time? I have a friend at Cambridge and he is still at home?
Original post by wolfmoon88
Answer to first question is no, unless you had a pool interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by EnglishMuon
Assuming the process hasnt changed drastically from last year, you will hear about the pool and that stuff at the same time as everyone elses results tomorrow (morning probably)- including whether you were picked from the pool by another college or not. So it is effectively the same as receiving your offer straight up or having rejection.

Thank you! :smile:
Just found out that one of my best friends has an Oxford offer at The Other Place... >.>
#nervous :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/netherlands Whew, at least the stats for 2014 are slightly reassuring compared to those 10%...
Original post by jneill
The answer used to be that it was ok but I've seen comments to the contrary this year. Perhaps @Murray Edwards Admissions could confirm?

I saw that thread as well, so just wanted to confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Cambridge is very experienced at assessing applicants from around the world. I don't think overseas applicants are at any greater disadvantage (or advantage) in the pool than in getting a direct offer. But there's no specific data afaik...

Original post by jneill
But how does that compare to those getting direct offers?

I've just run the numbers on that.

For Natural Sciences (both Physical and Biological) for 2016 entry, 15% of applicants who did not have a predicted grade for at least one A-level received an offer, compared to 28% for those who did have at least one predicted grade in an A-level. Post A-level applicants are completely excluded from this analysis.

Edit to add: The picture may (or may not) be quite different this year due to the lack of UMS and introduction of the common-format assessment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1947
Original post by lemonlime98
Wait... I didn't think it was term time? I have a friend at Cambridge and he is still at home?

Lectures start next Thursday. Most people are going back this weekend.

There will be some internationals and postgrads around but the vast majority of undergrads won't be back yet.

There's no lectures until next Thursday but many students (including my son and his friends) go back early. Because: Cambridge....
I thought I would be spared the nerves tomorrow as I'm being reinterviewed on Monday in the pool but I'm still nervous for all you guys :colondollar:
Original post by Xiuchen
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions, I'll be really grateful if you can answer them!
1. Would they have already sent an email, if you're placed in the winter pool?
2. Does anyone know if Gonville and Caius send an email along with the letter? I'm currently boarding at school, and they would have posted it to my home, so I wouldn't be able to find out until much later!!

Thanks, and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! <3 <3

G&C only sends a letter it seems
Original post by Forecast
I've just run the numbers on that.

For Natural Sciences (both Physical and Biological) for 2016 entry, 15% of applicants who did not have a predicted grade for at least one A-level received an offer, compared to 28% for those who did have at least one predicted grade in an A-level. Post A-level applicants are completely excluded from this analysis.

So to be clear, how does that compare between non-A-levelers in the pool, versus non-A-levelers getting direct offers.
Original post by peachykeen
no i was joking haha i don't do sports. at all. i'm 5 foot nothing.

Oh I see, sorry I got excited lol :biggrin:
Original post by TIF141
Just found out that one of my best friends has an Oxford offer... >.>
#nervous :biggrin:

Ah congrats to him and best of luck to you!x:biggrin::h:

Omg thank you so much, that link is so useful! Looks like I'll either find out on UCAS track on 13th or.... Find out in 2 weeks time :') Thats not going to help my anxiety....

Oh I'm not sure then! There just seems to be a lot more people here tonight than there has been previously. Even the hall was pretty full whereas other times there's only even been one or two. The staircase I'm staying on has quite a lot of students in the rooms too according to the board downstairs. Well, I certainly don't have a clue, so your guess is probably a lot better than mine :colondollar:
Original post by Xiuchen
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions, I'll be really grateful if you can answer them!
1. Would they have already sent an email, if you're placed in the winter pool?
2. Does anyone know if Gonville and Caius send an email along with the letter? I'm currently boarding at school, and they would have posted it to my home, so I wouldn't be able to find out until much later!!

Thanks, and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! <3 <3

"if you have a UK postal address, you will receive letters from Caius by this Friday (13 January) informing you whether your application has been successful and, if so, giving details of your offer.

The College posts its decision letters first thing on Wednesday morning (11 January) and they should arrive on Thursday. However, this depends to some extent on the efficiency of local post and some may arrive a little later: this has nothing to do with whether you have received an offer or otherwise so please don't worry if there's a delay.

All applicants with non-UK addresses will be notified of the College's decision by email on Thursday.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who applied to Caius, and to congratulate all those who reached the interview stage - no matter what the outcome."
Original post by IcedArizona

"if you have a UK postal address, you will receive letters from Caius by this Friday (13 January) informing you whether your application has been successful and, if so, giving details of your offer.

The College posts its decision letters first thing on Wednesday morning (11 January) and they should arrive on Thursday. However, this depends to some extent on the efficiency of local post and some may arrive a little later: this has nothing to do with whether you have received an offer or otherwise so please don't worry if there's a delay.

All applicants with non-UK addresses will be notified of the College's decision by email on Thursday.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who applied to Caius, and to congratulate all those who reached the interview stage - no matter what the outcome."

Thank you so much! I can't believe they've made their decision and there is nothing we can do :'( I hope I can see whether I got an offer or not on Ucas track....

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! OMG IMAGINE IF WE ACTUALLY BOTH GO TO CAIUS FOR NATSCI!!!! :smile: :smile:
Original post by daniilS
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/netherlands Whew, at least the stats for 2014 are slightly reassuring compared to those 10%...

Lol for French students 15% offer rate ^^
Original post by Xiuchen
Thank you so much! I can't believe they've made their decision and there is nothing we can do :'( I hope I can see whether I got an offer or not on Ucas track....

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! OMG IMAGINE IF WE ACTUALLY BOTH GO TO CAIUS FOR NATSCI!!!! :smile: :smile:

IT WOULD BE SOOO GOOD!! But lol just saw the 15% offer rate for France ^^ hopefully my school transcript is good enough but oh well we'll see tomorrow!

Latest

Trending

Trending