The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
are u one of those land econonomies?

nah im one of those history of arts. i'm in it for the rowing really.
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
just out of curiosity, Is fishing seen as a bad thing for the most " elite" colleges and are they less inclined to do so

no dont think so, I think its more due to number of applicants rather than being stuckup *******s. (although # applicants tends to be proportional to so called 'eliteness' sometimes)
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
just out of curiosity, Is fishing seen as a bad thing for the most " elite" colleges and are they less inclined to do so

A few years ago perhaps but not any more. It's seen as sensible moderation of your own field. Across 28 subjects you're always going to have varied fields in a college of strong and weak subjects and it's necessary to fish sometimes.

When I was at Christ's we took people from Girton and Homerton one year.
really UCAS..... Do you really have to do this to me right now? :unimpressed::cry:

Untitled.jpg
I have a funny story that I want to share with you all during these hectic moments.

As it turned out, on that same day that I arrived in Cambridge (December 13th), Harvard was releasing their decisions for the Early Action applicants. Of course, I was completely unaware of this. I thought that they were going to release them on December 15th as they did last year. As clueless as I was, I took the Jaffa cakes I had bought and chose to read a few threads on collegeconfidential.com about the other universities that I was applying to. I can't describe the feeling I had when I read that Harvard was going to release their decisions in a matter of 8 minutes. Those were undoubtedly the longest 8 minutes of my life. I quickly messaged my parents, my girlfriend, and my dog telling them what was happening and went back to CC to see what the other applicants were saying. As it turns out, a few of them already had a special option on their Applicant Portal that read something along the lines of Make a decision regarding your acceptance. As it turned out, those who were accepted had this option while the majority didn't. Despite my rather great qualifications and perfect SAT Subject Tests scores, I was deferred. I wasn't too surprised as I knew that my SAT score, which was in the 99th percentile but not that 99.9th percentile that they wish to see, was not strong enough. Nevertheless, I was extremely disappointed and I ignorantly assumed that the Cambridge application would end similarly so, after breaking the news to my family and dog, I chose to do the only rational thing at that point; I went to bed and watched some Top Gear (from the good era). This all happened at about 11 pm mind you and I figured that I wasn't going to get a second of sleep that night as I was so sad about Harvard. Interestingly enough, I fell asleep less than 5 minutes into the episode, fully clothed and with all of the lights turned on. I woke up the following morning in time for breakfast and the realization of what had happened to me made me even more afraid. I thought that one of the interviewers must have seen my room all lit up during the entire night and said to themselves something along the lines of "Ah, this careless applicant is wasting our resources and doesn't care about the environment :banned:".

The Harvard deferral was a big thing for me because, even though I am always the person who doesn't lose hope until it is for certain that it is over, I couldn't stay optimistic this time about Cambridge. After breakfast, I went to the quiet study room where I met another applicant whom I befriended during that day (in the evening, when all was done, we went out for a beer haha). Somehow, someway, I got into a really good and confident mood during the hours prior to the interviews and ended up leaving the following day with Cambridge in the best of my memories.

While I will be the happiest student ever if I end up receiving an offer tomorrow, I can say that the entire Cambridge application has been a pricey (I'm applying from Sweden), but wonderful experience which I will forever remember with excitement. I have great ambitions in life to achieve great success (to be read with a Borat accent) in the field that I love, to one day make my passion a part of my everyday life (I want to own 30 supercars, +/- 2), and to learn how to write texts without using parentheses so much. And whether or not Cambridge deems me worthy of their time, I won't let anyone stand in the way of me making my dreams come true. As I said a while ago here, there is no university decision out there which can dictate the quality of your life in the future. It is fully down to who you are as a person, what you aspire to be, and what you stand for. Best of luck to all of you tomorrow. You are all amazing people who can become whatever you wish to be, as long as you believe in yourself and don't let other people live your life for you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Don't worry - they are just going to formal hall ("fancy" dinner).

Yeah I guessed that'd be why, but it does look strange to me haha! The only time I've ever seen people dressed so smartly was at my year 11 prom :h: Plus, it's even weirder to see actual students walking around doing normal daily activities. Every other time I've been to Cambridge it's been outside term time or at the very end of term, so very few students were still here. The whole place feels too populated compared to my other visits haha! :smile:
Original post by gingerrazzle
Good luck everyone. Not expecting much myself. Just hoping for a miracle to happen.

Feeling exactly the same :frown:
Original post by IcedArizona
Isn't it so that offer rate for international students is quite a bit lower than for home students?

Yes. So saying it's worse for internationals than A-level candidates in the pool doesn't really tell us anything.

My point is the need to check if it's signifcantly lower from the pool than direct.
Original post by stefimzp
I have a funny story that I want to share with you all during these hectic moments.

As it turned out, on that same day that I arrived in Cambridge (December 13th), Harvard was releasing their decisions for the Early Action applicants. Of course, I was completely unaware of this. I thought that they were going to release them on December 15th as they did last year. As clueless as I was, I took the Jaffa cakes I had bought and chose to read a few threads on collegeconfidential.com about the other universities that I was applying to. I can't describe the feeling I had when I read that Harvard was going to release their decisions in a matter of 8 minutes. Those were undoubtedly the longest 8 minutes of my life. I quickly messaged my parents, my girlfriend, and my dog telling them what was happening and went back to CC to see what they other applicants were saying. As it turns out, a few of them already had a special option on their Applicant Portal that said something along the lines of Make a decision regarding your acceptance. As it turned out, those who were accepted had this option while the majority didn't. Despite my rather great qualifications and perfect SAT Subject Tests scores, I was deferred. I wasn't too surprised as I knew that my SAT score, which was in the 99th percentile but not that 99.9th percentile that they wish to see, was not strong enough. Nevertheless, I was extremely disappointed and I ignorantly assumed that the Cambridge application would end similarly so, after breaking the news to my family and dog, I chose to do the only rational thing at that point. I went to bed and watched some Top Gear (from the good era). This all happened at about 11 pm mind you and I figured that I wasn't going to get a second of sleep that night as I was so sad about Harvard. Interestingly enough, I fell asleep less than 5 minutes into the episode, fully clothed and with all of the lights turned on. I woke up the following morning in time for breakfast and the realization of what had happened to me made me even more afraid. I thought that one of the interviewers must have seen my room all lit up during the entire night and said to themselves something along the lines of "Ah, this careless applicant is wasting our resources and doesn't care about the environment :banned:".

The Harvard deferral was a big thing for me because, even though I am always the person who doesn't lose hope until it is for certain that it is over, I couldn't stay optimistic this time about Cambridge. After breakfast, I went to the quiet study room where I met another applicant whom I befriended during that day (in the evening, when all was done, we went out for a beer haha). Somehow, someway, I got into a really good and confident mood during the hours prior to the interviews and ended up leaving the following day with Cambridge in the best of my memories.

While I will be the happiest student ever if I end up receiving an offer tomorrow, I can say that the entire Cambridge application has been a pricey (I'm applying from Sweden), but wonderful experience which I will forever remember with excitement. I have great ambitions in life to achieve great success (to be read with a Borat accent) in the field that I love, to one day make my passion a part of my everyday life (I want to own 30 supercars, +/- 2), and to learn how to write texts without using parentheses so much. And whether or not Cambridge deems me worthy of their time, I won't let anyone stand in the way of me making my dreams come true. As I said a while ago here, there is no university decision out there which can dictate the quality of your life in the future. It is fully down to who you are as a person, what you aspire to be, and what you stand for. Best of luck to all of you tomorrow. You are all amazing people who can become whatever you wish to be, as long as you believe in yourself and don't let other people live your life for you.

Thank you for sharing your experiences :smile: and Good Luck tomorrow! I am sorry you got deferred from Harvard EA but at least it means you still have a slim chance of getting accepted in the regular round! Don't lose faith.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by peachykeen
nah im one of those history of arts. i'm in it for the rowing really.

Wow you do rowing??!! Which rowing club are you in?
Original post by jneill
x

Just curious, If I defer an offer from an uni abroad, can I apply to Cambridge when holding that offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xiuchen
Wow you do rowing??!! Which rowing club are you in?

no i was joking haha i don't do sports. at all. i'm 5 foot nothing.
Original post by Frobisher
Do we know if the post is first class or second? Silly question I know!

Should be first class, but last year a few colleges sent some of letters by second class 'by mistake. '
Hoping it won't happen this year......
Original post by C0balt
Popping in as a 2016 crew to say very best of luck with the D-day tomorrow. I vividly remember how nerve wracking it was last year!

Remember that the decision, regardless of what it is, doesn't define your worth. You are all a lot more than what a piece of paper from some educational institution says.

I hope to see some of you next year :smile:

Sleep well! At least try to!

I would like to wish everyone best of luck for tomorrow. For those made an offer, congratulations and well done😀

For those not successful don't dwell on it. Remember there are just not enough places and the differences between applicants can be so tiny. By now most of you will have offers from equally fantastic unis. Focus on that and achieving your grades in the summer.

I promise you, this time next year you'll be wondering what all the nervousness/angst/fuss even was ever about. Best wishes 😀
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions, I'll be really grateful if you can answer them!
1. Would they have already sent an email, if you're placed in the winter pool?
2. Does anyone know if Gonville and Caius send an email along with the letter? I'm currently boarding at school, and they would have posted it to my home, so I wouldn't be able to find out until much later!!

Thanks, and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! <3 <3
Important last minute announcement:

This may be very late or indeed very early, but college rankings is NOT due to perceived prestige. It is infact solely due to the quality of the duck wraps served in hall.

I know this may come as a shock to some, but trinity is therefore at the bottom of the table. Going there will ensure you a bleak and miserable future.

However going to a college like King's, you have the choice of TWO duck wraps every day.

You have the standard pleb wrap (pictured below)
duck1.jpg

or if you want the full cambridge experience, you can find the Luxury Wrap if you know where to look for it:

Attachment not found
Original post by stefimzp

As it turned out, on that same day that I arrived in Cambridge (December 13th), Harvard was releasing their decisions for the Early Action applicants. Of course, I was completely unaware of this. I thought that they were going to release them on December 15th as they did last year. As clueless as I was, I took the Jaffa cakes I had bought and chose to read a few threads on collegeconfidential.com about the other universities that I was applying to. I can't describe the feeling I had when I read that Harvard was going to release their decisions in a matter of 8 minutes. Those were undoubtedly the longest 8 minutes of my life. I quickly messaged my parents, my girlfriend, and my dog telling them what was happening and went back to CC to see what the other applicants were saying. As it turns out, a few of them already had a special option on their Applicant Portal that read something along the lines of Make a decision regarding your acceptance. As it turned out, those who were accepted had this option while the majority didn't. Despite my rather great qualifications and perfect SAT Subject Tests scores, I was deferred. I wasn't too surprised as I knew that my SAT score, which was in the 99th percentile but not that 99.9th percentile that they wish to see, was not strong enough. Nevertheless, I was extremely disappointed and I ignorantly assumed that the Cambridge application would end similarly so, after breaking the news to my family and dog, I chose to do the only rational thing at that point; I went to bed and watched some Top Gear (from the good era). This all happened at about 11 pm mind you and I figured that I wasn't going to get a second of sleep that night as I was so sad about Harvard. Interestingly enough, I fell asleep less than 5 minutes into the episode, fully clothed and with all of the lights turned on. I woke up the following morning in time for breakfast and the realization of what had happened to me made me even more afraid. I thought that one of the interviewers must have seen my room all lit up during the entire night and said to themselves something along the lines of "Ah, this careless applicant is wasting our resources and doesn't care about the environment :banned:".

Woof!
I just got an email whose sender's name started with "University" and I freaked. I know there are about 14 hours left but every time I get an email, I can't help but hastily grab my phone.

This wait is killing me. I finally realize that I really do want this and how much Cambridge matters to me. That being said, all the best to all of your for D-Day. You're all incredibly smart people and will go to some amazing places! Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Xiuchen
Hi everyone,

2. Does anyone know if Gonville and Caius send an email along with the letter? I'm currently boarding at school, and they would have posted it to my home, so I wouldn't be able to find out until much later!!

Answer to first question is no, unless you had a pool interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xiuchen
Hi everyone,

Assuming the process hasnt changed drastically from last year, you will hear about the pool and that stuff at the same time as everyone elses results tomorrow (morning probably)- including whether you were picked from the pool by another college or not. So it is effectively the same as receiving your offer straight up or having rejection.

Latest

Trending

Trending