The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
Now you're just insulting your own kind :rofl:

Your status was in the mesophere when you popped over to the Oxford thread! Now it's just in the stratosphere. :biggrin:
Original post by Student1256
@k.russell @NeverLucky @Forecast what did you guys have in your gcse's?

Pretty bad, but not terrible given the school I went to (think I was the top performing male in my year, though not certain).
2A*, 7A & 2B in a cohort of which 47% achieved 5 A*-C inc. eng & maths
Original post by jneill
It will be as soon as they can, ie. much nearer to the 14th than the 31st...

Yeah - I thought that might be the case. Patience is a virtue, I suppose...
Original post by bethipayne
I feel like waiting this extra time for an answer might actually be the death of me. Does anyone have any decision dates for pooled applicants who went for re-interview? I know it's technically 14th-31st of January, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if it'll be earlier/later into that period?

My law reinterview's were yesterday. My interviewers sort of gave the impression that their decisions are basically made once the candidates walk out of the room, but they did say they aren't officially allowed to make the decisions until the 14th (i.e.: speak to other members of college as it's not their discretion only as to who gets in etc, and there were other applicants still to be interviewed) but she said I will most likely hear on monday at the latest. So if you're being reinterviewed at Selwyn I think a quick turnaround looks likely.

I can't speak for the other colleges, or even other subjects, but I think they're pretty aware that we're all a little tired of waiting, and would very much like to put us out of our misery sooner rather than later. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by k.russell
Pretty bad, but not terrible given the school I went to (think I was the top performing male in my year, though not certain).
2A*, 7A & 2B in a cohort of which 47% achieved 5 A*-C inc. eng & maths

As someone with 2 A*'s only (same as you) at gcse that gives me hope lol
Looks like I'll be applying to Girton as well next year 😂😂😂
Original post by Xiuchen
Have people's UCAS been updated? (Especially those people who applied to Caius)

No. Still no email from Caius for EU student. No UCAS update either.

Not natsci and not an offer holder (or a rejectee) but I got 3 A*s, 3 B's, 2 C's, 1 D and 1 E at GCSE. :lol:

I would highly recommend applying for Girton, as it is The Best College™. But in all seriousness, if you can get A*A*A* I think your GCSE's won't be a cause for concern at any college :smile:
Original post by Gold-Confetti
My law reinterview's were yesterday. My interviewers sort of gave the impression that their decisions are basically made once the candidates walk out of the room, but they did say they aren't officially allowed to make the decisions until the 14th (i.e.: speak to other members of college as it's not their discretion only as to who gets in etc, and there were other applicants still to be interviewed) but she said I will most likely hear on monday at the latest. So if you're being reinterviewed at Selwyn I think a quick turnaround looks likely.

I can't speak for the other colleges, or even other subjects, but I think they're pretty aware that we're all a little tired of waiting, and would very much like to put us out of our misery sooner rather than later. Good luck! :smile:

Haha, sounds like I should've asked! I was going to at the end of my interview yesterday, but it completely slipped my mind... I'm in the same situation as you, so hopefully, what you've just said applies to me equally!

I can definitely wait until Monday - I just hate waiting indefinitely. Good luck to you, also!!:h:
Original post by IcedArizona
5/5 for Caius communication, thanks for tagging me on the post informing that EUs get letters..
I am just so pissed about this :smile:

Check out the Gonville & Caius Students and Applicants forum. Someone (current student I think) said they checked with admissions 2 hours ago and they were then sending out EU applicant emails, so that seems to contradict was I was told earlier. In any case, we still have heard nothing.....
Haha, sounds like I should've asked! I was going to at the end of my interview yesterday, but it completely slipped my mind... I'm in the same situation as you, so hopefully, what you've just said applies to me equally!

I can definitely wait until Monday - I just hate waiting indefinitely. Good luck to you, also!!:h:

Ahaha, I didn't even ask, I was too busy asking what the actual answer to the questions were (out of curiosity, because I regretted not doing so last time). I think the person before me must've asked so that may have been why they were eager to tell me.

Thank you, secretly hoping they let us know tomorrow, but I think that's wishful thinking haha!
Wait does that mean you were reinterviewing for law at Selwyn yesterday?!
Original post by Italycalling
Check out the Gonville & Caius Students and Applicants forum. Someone (current student I think) said they checked with admissions 2 hours ago and they were then sending out EU applicant emails, so that seems to contradict was I was told earlier. In any case, we still have heard nothing.....

I am *guessing* they have realised their mistake and are working "overtime" to correct it. Ie. You might still get a decision tonight, or at the weekend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Ahaha, I didn't even ask, I was too busy asking what the actual answer to the questions were (out of curiosity, because I regretted not doing so last time). I think the person before me must've asked so that may have been why they were eager to tell me.

Thank you, secretly hoping they let us know tomorrow, but I think that's wishful thinking haha!
Wait does that mean you were reinterviewing for law at Selwyn yesterday?!

Damn, now I kind of think I should've asked for the answers... Oh well!

I would love it if they let us know tomorrow - I might be able to relax this weekend! Yes, I was there yesterday; my general interview was at 10:45, and my subject interview was at 2:30:smile:
Original post by Italycalling

WHAT? They are absolutely cruel tbh.. This situation just makes me so angry because they can't even communicate properly to candidates..

The GCSE scoring system they use at Cambridge, if you're interested, is based off the best 8 GCSE's - so for me that's 2A* and 6A and for @NeverLucky it's just 8A* (got lucky in yr.11, clearly...) then it's 8 points for an A* and 7 for an A and so on, so I'm on 58/64 and NeverLucky is on 64/64. I think what they interested in is your score compared with the average of the school at which you sat your GCSE's, so for my school 58 is probably a pretty decent score.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Not natsci and not an offer holder (or a rejectee) but I got 3 A*s, 3 B's, 2 C's, 1 D and 1 E at GCSE. :lol:

But you have extenuating circumstances! I do come from a school where grades are generally low though and I had the highest AS grade in my entire school, still got rejected... goes to show how difficult it actually is to get into Cambridge. In hindsight I should have somehow mentioned in my application about my gcses being quite amazing for my school but I guess what's done is done now and I musnt have been rejected due to gcses, must have been the admissions test.
Original post by indvolda
Okay I got an offer as a EU student but I'm starting to get very worried because I slowly realize that I don't really know how to speak English.

Did you apply to Caius?
Original post by k.russell
The GCSE scoring system they use at Cambridge, if you're interested, is based off the best 8 GCSE's - so for me that's 2A* and 6A and for @NeverLucky it's just 8A* (got lucky in yr.11, clearly...) then it's 8 points for an A* and 7 for an A and so on, so I'm on 58/64 and NeverLucky is on 64/64. I think what they interested in is your score compared with the average of the school at which you sat your GCSE's, so for my school 58 is probably a pretty decent score.

What if we didn't do GCSEs. I did some weird foreign thing that can't really be compared to anything else. I got in though, so I'm thinking perhaps they just ignored it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reaver Daniels
What if we didn't do GCSEs. I did some weird foreign thing that can't really be compared to anything else. I got in though, so I'm thinking perhaps they just ignored it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not an expert, but I'd expect you're right that they can't make the same comparisons in the absence of GCSE's
I feel like waiting this extra time for an answer might actually be the death of me. Does anyone have any decision dates for pooled applicants who went for re-interview? I know it's technically 14th-31st of January, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if it'll be earlier/later into that period?

I'm not sure but the pooling interviews continue into next week so it depends if they're still interviewing for your course at the college I guess!

Latest

Trending

Trending