The Student Room Group

Assad Recruiting 50-YEAR-OLDS In Desperation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cato the Elder
So you'll be happy with Hezbollah and Russian nukes being pointed in the direction of Southern Europe then.

Nope, Hezbollah won't get the nukes.

You confuse me, you say you hate jihadists but now you're attacking Assad?
Original post by cuckledoooo
You confuse me, you say you hate jihadists but now you're attacking Assad?

Assad is the best friend of jihadists.
Assad is the best friend of jihadists.

Every instance where we have intruded in middle eastern conflict or an uprising in the middle east has led to a rise in jihadists and extremists. This has been the case for the last 20 years.
Original post by cuckledoooo
Every instance where we have intruded in middle eastern conflict or an uprising in the middle east has led to a rise in jihadists and extremists. This has been the case for the last 20 years.

We didn't "intrude" into Syria to any meaningful extent. As a matter of fact we have consistently backed down from getting properly involved. Hence why Syria is now a breeding-ground for jihadists.
We didn't "intrude" into Syria to any meaningful extent. As a matter of fact we have consistently backed down from getting properly involved. Hence why Syria is now a breeding-ground for jihadists.

Yes but the rebels are still indirectly receiving military support and equipment to proven jihadists who call themselves "rebels". Messing with Syria will exponentially escalate tensions with Russia. The best thing is to wait even if innocent people are dying. Russia's economy is a ticking timebomb anyway, their entire economy relies on a fluctuating oil price and they have a GDP per capita comparable to third world countries.
It's different now. Assad doesn't rule Syria, Iran and Russia do. He is nothing more than a puppet. And as soon as he is no longer necessary, they will push him aside and plant someone else in charge of the country. Remember, Assad's regime was crumbling until Iran flooded the country with Shiite terrorists and Russia began bombing the rebels.

It's unlikely he has the manpower to take back the entire country. Eastern Syria will remain ISIS territory for some time.

Assad will go when Syrians decide he should go, until then you and Charles Lister can keep backing your Salafi Jihadist friends all you like. :smile:
Original post by Palmyra
It was leaked that King Salman asked the U.S. to "cut the head off the snake" by bombing Iran, and Israel/KSA seem to have decent relations behind the scenes, so it's possible that KSA would have allowed Israel to use their airspace to bomb Iran back in 2012 when that seemed a possibility.

The problem is KSA's Shia minority in the East, they know that if they did that Iran would try to foster some riots etc and Iran have the largest inventory of ballistic missiles in the region, especially short range ones stationed in the Persian Gulf, supposedly ready to strike KSA oil fields/the U.S. Fifth Fleet and attempt to close the Strait of Hormuz (where something like 20% of all oil passes through) in the event of an Israeli strike.

But KSA are pretty tragic militarily, they're the largest importers of military equipment in the world yet can barely fly the jets they're getting, the Houthis have managed to take control of military bases inside KSA :rofl:

[video="youtube;qU7YJZaa3DI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7YJZaa3DI[/video]

Loooool the video killed me. I guess there's no point for all the fancy millitary technology if you can't use it properly. On a side note what is that soldier doing on the battlefield he should be training for the 100m olympic sprints
Original post by Palmyra
Assad will go when Syrians decide he should go, until then you and Charles Lister can keep backing your Salafi Jihadist friends all you like. :smile:

A good number of Syrians have already decided that. In fact they've so decided that that they've taken up arms against him. You'd prefer to ignore them and pretend that they don't exist.

Are you going to condemn Iran's violation of Syrian national sovereignty in invading the country and killing Sunnis?
A good number of Syrians have already decided that. In fact they've so decided that that they've taken up arms against him. You'd prefer to ignore them and pretend that they don't exist.

Many did protest for democratic reasons, unfortunately there were some militant elements in the protests from the beginning, and it was quickly hijacked by foreign powers (Saudi and Qatar, mainly) who poured in jihadists and arms to turn it into a sectarian conflict and bring Assad down.

That's why most pro-Assad individuals are happy for democratic elections to decide who should rule Syria, whilst a peculiar trend among pro-Jihadists is their opposition to this (or refusal to let Assad stand) - because they know a majority of Syrians support Assad.

Are you going to condemn Iran's violation of Syrian national sovereignty in invading the country

I don't think you understand how international law works.

Are you going to condemn Iran's violation of Syrian national sovereignty in invading the country and killing Sunnis?

It's not an 'invasion of national sovereignty' if Syria wants Iran to come and help kill radical jihadists and members of isis
Original post by TheTruthTeller
It's not an 'invasion of national sovereignty' if Syria wants Iran to come and help kill radical jihadists and members of isis

"Syria wants" lol you mean Assad wants.
"Syria wants" lol you mean Assad wants.

So you think Syrian people 'want' isis and radical jihadists in power?

You seem to have swallowed American propaganda pretty well.Or did you think it was just the Russians who did that? As for Iran they were invited there by the legitimate government of the country.The only rebels with real power in Syria are Islamists.If they were not then the USA would have actually armed them properly in the first place.You seem to have a delusion that if you remove Assad then Syria will be this lovely paradise with democracy and unicorns and rainbows.In reality what will happen is that a bad situation will become worse.Islamists will gain a lot of power and terrorism will become more common in Europe.
Original post by Palmyra
Many did protest for democratic reasons, unfortunately there were some militant elements in the protests from the beginning, and it was quickly hijacked by foreign powers (Saudi and Qatar, mainly) who poured in jihadists and arms to turn it into a sectarian conflict and bring Assad down.

That's why most pro-Assad individuals are happy for democratic elections to decide who should rule Syria, whilst a peculiar trend among pro-Jihadists is their opposition to this (or refusal to let Assad stand) - because they know a majority of Syrians support Assad.

Just like you to skim over the fact that Assad invited the jihadists into Syria in the first place, released them from prison and allowed Syrian intelligence to help them form terrorist groups, funds them and strategically cooperates with them.

And why should the guy that started the civil war which has killed half a million people stand for election?

Original post by Palmyra
I don't think you understand how international law works.

I suppose I'm thinking in more common sense terms then.
He can't really "win", because even if he defeats the rebels he's a puppet of Russia and Iran, so he'll end up with far less power after the war then before it.

and IS and the FSA are gulf arab puppets. noone can win as long as these two ends of the islamic specturm continue their 1300 year old war and we in the west insist on getting involved. Yemen is now a far bigger issue than syria where the same proxy war is being orchestrated and there seems to be little interest n that on tsr. basically any nation that wages war on basis of 1300 y/o religious dictats should be boombed to oblivion and its leaders tried for war crimes - that is the only way this messedup region will ever see peace.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
So you think Syrian people 'want' isis and radical jihadists in power?

No. False choice. I think most Syrians want a secular, moderate government, not a jihadist one or a sectarian, fascist one.

And why should the guy that started the civil war which has killed half a million people stand for election?

Not very democrat to be dictating who can and who cannot run for election, is it? Almost as though the Jihadists and Jihadist apologists are afraid Assad would win.

No. False choice. I think most Syrians want a secular, moderate government, not a jihadist one or a sectarian, fascist one.

If there was a vote and this is what the majority of Syrians vote for (over the status quo/Assad), then I would fully support this.

A lot of people with differing agendas (but specially iranian shills) will try to convince of this false choice.
Original post by Palmyra
Not very democrat to be dictating who can and who cannot run for election, is it? Almost as though the Jihadists and Jihadist apologists are afraid Assad would win.

I don't think he would, but the very legitimacy of the election can be called into question if the same guy who destroyed the country is allowed to stand.

Original post by Palmyra
If there was a vote and this is what the majority of Syrians vote for (over the status quo/Assad), then I would fully support this.

Whether most people in Syria do support Assad or not (which I do not believe is true), there are good reasons why he should be removed from power. Adolf Hitler also came to power by legitimate means. Should he have been allowed to stand for elections after WWII?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending