The Student Room Group

do muslims have a future in the west?

Scroll to see replies

That's only because among muslims everybody's called Mohammed, whereas white and other ethnic group don't give their children the same name.

If 5% of the UK changed their name to Bob - Bob will be the most popular name. But it doesn't the all the Bobs are taking over the country.
Reply 62
Original post by ThePricklyOne
That's only because among muslims everybody's called Mohammed, whereas white and other ethnic group don't give their children the same name.

If 5% of the UK changed their name to Bob - Bob will be the most popular name. But it doesn't the all the Bobs are taking over the country.

Precisely, there are several variations of the name. Two of them are in the top ten.
Reply 63
Sorry to jump back to the Isis point (hate them) but I think it's important to take into account what turns people to terrorism rather than just to make it out that they simply decided to 'hate the west' and to the lgbt point standing as a Muslim knowing alot in my area it's not regarded as 'different' or hated its your own life and to use statistics which I guess i know what you mean but for a fully representative account it doesn't make sense so I guess in short to say that Islam is extremist is a person's interpretation of it, not the whole religious populations
Original post by Saviorz
Don't cite a Daily Mail article and expect people to take you seriously.

Don't dismiss an article simply on the grounds of the name of the newspaper it was published in and expect people to take you seriously.
Reply 65
Original post by c0lew0rld
As Islamophobia is on the rise, and it's only going to get worst as time goes by.
what you think will happen in 20 years will the Muslim continue to grow, or will all Muslim be departed in present .
I think the second is likely more (i'm Muslim btw)

Mass deportations seem highly unlikely. Blanket bans on further migration from Islamic nations is a much more likely possibility.
Original post by Cxvphr
I think it's important to take into account what turns people to terrorism rather than just to make it out that they simply decided to 'hate the west'

It is indeed important but the long and short of it is that most people (excepting the insane and some others) are accountable for their own actions. Let's say that foreign policy was the demonstrable and only cause of Muslims partaking in terrorism - what changes? Is the person any less guilty because he had a grievance? Of course not. People have grievances all the time, every day of the week. I'm not justified in beating my boss to death with a fire extinguisher because he yelled at me or generally goes the extra mile to make my life hell. Moreover, there's a clear moral issue with giving a handful of reactionaries a veto on the foreign policy of a sovereign state...
As Islamophobia is on the rise, and it's only going to get worst as time goes by.
what you think will happen in 20 years will the Muslim continue to grow, or will all Muslim be departed in present .

Muslims in the west will continue to grow unless they do.

A something truely awful like a dirty bomb

Or

B they make large continual attacks one after another for a few years.

It's going to take something really big basically to expel them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Muslims in the west will continue to grow unless they do.

A something truely awful like a dirty bomb

Or

B they make large continual attacks one after another for a few years.

It's going to take something really big basically to expel them

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on whether European countries fall to what the BBC calls the "Far Right." and whether the EU survives.

If Le Pen wins in France this spring we could see an attempt at a big crackdown on Muslims but EU Law will protect them. If that happens all bets are off, and the future is very hard to predict. Correction, impossible...

of course they do have a future - most muslims i know dont want to leave the west ( certainly dont want to live under islamic law land) currently the west is questioninng its whole attitude to multiculturalism, (not jsut the far right nutjobs who have a problem with everyone ) but slowly more regualrl ppl - not because of problems with all cultures, but becuase of issues with islamists and thier extremism and also lack of integration to the west. if muslims make the efforts to integrate better, to be progressive, to actively attack the fundamentalists in their own communty and not constantly promote arabic thinking from 1200 years ago in modern life - then theres no reason why things cant improve. then the only problems in society woudl be with the minority far right racists that have always existed. the solutions have to come from both sides.
Original post by Chakede
of course they do have a future - most muslims i know dont want to leave the west ( certainly dont want to live under islamic law land) currently the west is questioninng its whole attitude to multiculturalism, (not jsut the far right nutjobs who have a problem with everyone ) but slowly more regualrl ppl - not because of problems with all cultures, but becuase of issues with islamists and thier extremism and also lack of integration to the west. if muslims make the efforts to integrate better, to be progressive, to actively attack the fundamentalists in their own communty and not constantly promote arabic thinking from 1200 years ago in modern life - then theres no reason why things cant improve. then the only problems in society woudl be with the minority far right racists that have always existed. the solutions have to come from both sides.

Well durr the whole issue is about integration aka assimilation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ray04
Apparently neither are you, tell me how can you generalise 2+million British muslims from a sample of 1000? That's like a sample of 0.05% and you think that's representative?

Yes it ****ing well is, in fact I would say the views would be worse in places like Pakistan etc
Reply 72
Original post by NativesofEurope
Yes it ****ing well is, in fact I would say the views would be worse in places like Pakistan etc

To say 0.05% of a population is a representative number is simply idiotic, perhaps there are people who think in these ways, but it certainly isn't representative of all.
Reply 73
Have a future?

They are the future!
Original post by Ray04
"tried and tested science which has shown to be pretty accurate" - surveys showed brexit wouldn't happen, then brexit happened. Surveys showed trump wouldn't become president, trump became president. & many more instances where surveys, polls and statistics simply failed - http://www.statisticsviews.com/details/feature/10094931/Why-do-polls-keep-failing-everywhere.html

Dude, do yourself a favour and never talk about statistics again because you obviously have no f*cking idea how they work. I can bring up 100x more instances of polling data predicting the correct event than getting it wrong. Trumps election is the ultimate outlier/anomouly.
I made a comment on here and it got removed and I'm really offended that TSR didn't think my comment was appropriate but feels that the thread is! Lets see how long this comment stays up!
Bigots on tsr conspiring against Muslims.
Reply 77
And is that the conclusion of your study or is based on misinformation and lack of study. Amazing most of the victims of terror are Muslims perpetrated by the western governments and yet Islam gets the blame. Please study, at a humane level, you owe it yourself to study without preconceived ideas and prejudice before you make assumptions and hate entire people .
Original post by Nfarr
And is that the conclusion of your study or is based on misinformation and lack of study. Amazing most of the victims of terror are Muslims perpetrated by the western governments and yet Islam gets the blame. Please study, at a humane level, you owe it yourself to study without preconceived ideas and prejudice before you make assumptions and hate entire people .

It is a tough gig being a "moderate" Muslim in the west nowadays.

But posts like this demonstrate how you don't make things easy for yourselves. Blaming the west for all your problems and refusing to admit the terrorism problem that springs from within your community makes everything ten times worse.
Original post by Ladbants
Yes you do! You won't get deported lol, it's illegal to deport British people from Britain.

For now, they could always change the law. Germany deported Germans from Germany.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39348270

You put so much reliance on laws. But laws can always be broken, and are everyday, so I won't say it can't happen, but it is unlikely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending