The Student Room Group

Alevel Maths confused

I'm not sure about which exam board to take:
- 3 units of new spec maths for 2018 exam:
AQA: one for core 1-4, one for mechanics and one for statistics
Edexcel: two for core1-4 and one for mechanics/statistics

How hard is mechanics/statistics? Please advise thanks!
It's not just about the units, have you checked how many marks each paper has and how the marks are weighted. I doubt that Mechanics&Statistics if worth twice as much as the core part.
They're very difficult
Original post by Code 19
I'm not sure about which exam board to take:
- 3 units of new spec maths for 2018 exam:
AQA: one for core 1-4, one for mechanics and one for statistics
Edexcel: two for core1-4 and one for mechanics/statistics

How hard is mechanics/statistics? Please advise thanks!

Edexcel and AQA have not had their A level maths specifications approved yet. Until they do, it isn't sensible to compare content or assessment structures and make a decision. I would be surprised if the regulators approve the published draft approach of both Edexcel and AQA. Note, if you want to do a full A level in maths in 2018 you would have the option to do it using the old modular specification.

Edit: to correct error pointed out by MrM

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
None of the examiners have their A level maths specifications approved yet.

This isn't the case. OCR and OCR MEI have some accredited specs.
Original post by Mr M
This isn't the case. OCR and OCR MEI have some accredited specs.

True. I havent checked on the OCR stuff lately,thanks for the correction. However I don't think Edexcel or AQA that the OP wants to compare have been approved ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
True. I havent checked on the OCR stuff lately,thanks for the correction. However I don't think Edexcel or AQA that the OP wants to compare have been approved ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they're not approved just yet.
Reply 7
None of the examiners have their A level maths specifications approved yet. Until they do, it isn't sensible to compare content or assessment structures and make a decision. I would be surprised if the regulators approve the published draft approach of both Edexcel and AQA. Note, if you want to do a full A level in maths in 2018 you would have the option to do it using the old modular specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your response. You're right, they aren't approved yet, but they will start teaching in this Sep so I'll wait. I want to do A-level maths in one year. I'm thinking of doing the old spec but I have to take 6 units - which is a lot more stressful and more expensive than a new spec. You would only need to take 3 papers. I'm waiting for a reply from both exam boards about the old spec and would this continue into next year. I looked up that this summer is a last resit opportunity. So I might as well enter the new spec.

Original post by BobBobson
It's not just about the units, have you checked how many marks each paper has and how the marks are weighted. I doubt that Mechanics&Statistics if worth twice as much as the core part.

I checked that both exam boards and each had 3 papers, adding up overall weighting of components of 33⅓ x 3 = approx. 100.

But I don't see this is helpful at all?

Original post by Anfanny
They're very difficult

How difficult? my friend said mechanic is the most difficult and is related to physics which I detest!!
(edited 7 years ago)

How difficult? my friend said mechanic is the most difficult and is related to physics which I detest!!

It is more tricky than you think Whenever masses interactif And you have to work out the résultant forces And there's many ways this happen a such as élevators pulleys And taught ropes angles etc. It can be a lot of work per Mark. Though in their y m1 is the simplest.
Reply 9
Original post by Anfanny
It is more tricky than you think Whenever masses interactif And you have to work out the résultant forces And there's many ways this happen a such as élevators pulleys And taught ropes angles etc. It can be a lot of work per Mark. Though in their y m1 is the simplest.

well i will go through in summer thanks. Any tips for this one?
I know two useful websites like exam solution and physics and maths tutor. But do you know any other website?
Original post by Code 19
well i will go through in summer thanks. Any tips for this one?
I know two useful websites like exam solution and physics and maths tutor. But do you know any other website?

No sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest