The Student Room Group

How do I refer to the DSM and ICD in my psychology work?

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 13.58.04.png

@LenniesRabbit

I really don't know how to relate this to the ICD and DSM, I've done a bit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to note, the new DSM (5) doesn't have axis anymore.
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
Just to note, the new DSM (5) doesn't have axis anymore.

Oo. Thank you.
Original post by KyleH123
Oo. Thank you.

What are you exactly stuck with? You seem to have covered it quite well.
Reply 4
What are you exactly stuck with? You seem to have covered it quite well.

Well in my brief it reads that I have to refer to the ICD and DSM in my work, i don't know, have I done that enough? It's AS level stuff.
Ok, well briefly, the DSM & ICD focus on maladaptiveness as the basis of psychopathology - a joining of dysfunction definition & personal distress definition. But I think you've covered enough for AS.

Maybe use one disorder as an example of how the DSM & ICD define psychopathology?
Reply 6
Ok, well briefly, the DSM & ICD focus on maladaptiveness as the basis of psychopathology - a joining of dysfunction definition & personal distress definition. But I think you've covered enough for AS.

Maybe use one disorder as an example of how the DSM & ICD define psychopathology?

Oh that's great to hear!

How would I go about doing that? :colondollar:
Like the sort of steps a mental health professional would follow to define/classify using ICD and DSM?

I've pretty much had to teach myself this stuff because my teacher is absolutely useless.

Would you say it's organised properly? It's a 2 sided poster

Oh, I should probably mention the purpose of the poster is to explain the problems classifying and defining abnormality
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

I just saw on your profile you're applying for PhD in psychology! I really got lucky having you reply to my thread!!

:biggrin:
Original post by KyleH123
I just saw on your profile you're applying for PhD in psychology! I really got lucky having you reply to my thread!!

:biggrin:

Pick a disorder, say depression. See how the ICD & DSM (also how they defer) refer to the different definitions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending