The Student Room Group

I feel like I can't talk to my parents.

My parents have only very recently been interested in getting me tested for autism, all the while they were asking me if I felt like I could talk to them/asking me things like that.
The honest answer is no (of course I didn't say that) but I don't know. I have tried to talk to them before but they either ignore me or say I'm being overdramatic. I was trying to talk to my mum about how I couldn't see out of one eye (roughly 4 years ago) and she blew me off but in early 2022 we found out that that eye actually had horrible vision, even then the only reason we found that out is because my Grandma called her up telling her to book me an opticians appointment. Little things like this that just make me feel like I can't tell them things.
I don't know what to do, is there a way to sort this? I feel like, for the most part, the damage has already been done. I'm turning 18 soon and this has been going on for so long.

But also, on the other hand, I struggle to speak to adults in general. I'm only really able to uphold a conversation with one of my teachers, I don't know how to talk to the others.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
My parents have only very recently been interested in getting me tested for autism, all the while they were asking me if I felt like I could talk to them/asking me things like that.
The honest answer is no (of course I didn't say that) but I don't know. I have tried to talk to them before but they either ignore me or say I'm being overdramatic. I was trying to talk to my mum about how I couldn't see out of one eye (roughly 4 years ago) and she blew me off but in early 2022 we found out that that eye actually had horrible vision, even then the only reason we found that out is because my Grandma called her up telling her to book me an opticians appointment. Little things like this that just make me feel like I can't tell them things.
I don't know what to do, is there a way to sort this? I feel like, for the most part, the damage has already been done. I'm turning 18 soon and this has been going on for so long.

But also, on the other hand, I struggle to speak to adults in general. I'm only really able to uphold a conversation with one of my teachers, I don't know how to talk to the others.

As someone who (probably) has autism (I fit in of the DSM-5 criteria) I relate to this a lot. I’m situationally mute and struggle with verbal shutdown, so I find it pretty much impossible to talk to new people, but am fine with writing and better with people I know well.

Your parents sound a lot like mine, to be honest, and I’m not sure how to deal with that other than going to someone else who you can feel like you can talk to and will listen (like your grandma maybe?)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

It sounds like it has been difficult for you to communicate with your parents due to how they responded when you expressed your concerns about your eye. It is understandable why you would find this challenging.

It might be a good idea to start by exploring strategies to help you communicate more effectively with your parents. Identifying and setting clear boundaries can be a useful starting point. For example, let your parents know when you are feeling overwhelmed and need to take a break from the conversation. You could also find ways to practice expressing your thoughts and feelings, such as journaling or talking to a trusted friend.

It might also be helpful to speak with a professional, such as a counselor or therapist. They can provide you with guidance and support to work through any emotional barriers that might be standing in the way of communication.

Finally, understanding more about autism could help you to better understand yourself and why communication can be difficult for you at times. Consider doing some research or reaching out to a local autism support group to learn more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending