The Student Room Group

Conversion MSc Psychology

Hi. I’m interested in converting my current social work degree into. MSc in Psychology. I’m also interested in taking this course from a distance and part time due to work and family commitments. I’m a resident in Wales, UK. Would funding be open to me on this course. I would also welcome any very honest views on how realistic it would be to pursue a clinical psychology PhD after this, particularly as a mature student (50). I have over 20 years experience in both Adults Community care and Children’s Services. Thanks. Yvette
Original post by Yvette C
Hi. I’m interested in converting my current social work degree into. MSc in Psychology. I’m also interested in taking this course from a distance and part time due to work and family commitments. I’m a resident in Wales, UK. Would funding be open to me on this course. I would also welcome any very honest views on how realistic it would be to pursue a clinical psychology PhD after this, particularly as a mature student (50). I have over 20 years experience in both Adults Community care and Children’s Services. Thanks. Yvette

@Yvette C
There are quite a few providers out there that do an MSc Psychology (conversion), Arden University have both blended and 100% online options and the course is fully accredited with the BPS. I did the course there and had a great time, they have the best virtual learning environment I have seen and I have worked in FE/HE for over 10 years. For any provider, check out an impartial review such as the QAA Report (a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework Review (both readily available online).

I'm not familiar with PhD study so I can't advise on that element

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by Yvette C

The Open University offer an online part-time MSc conversion. I did my Psychology BSc with them and really enjoyed it. You should be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover tuition fees.

If you are referring to the professional doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsy), it's extremely competitive, but given your experience, I'd say you'd have a good chance! I'm not sure how much they factor age into their decisions - I would hope not at all, but you never know!

Quick Reply

Latest