The Student Room Group

How much revision / work do you do per night?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabz152
Wow! I'm always procrastinating. Can u give me some tips?:redface:

Classical music helps, but also finding some alone time and shutting the door and then revising one subject per day helps.
What did u do at uni?
Original post by KB_97
I got A*A*A in chem, maths answers bio respectively. Initially, yes I did count school time but i didn't count it as 6 hours. I counted it as about 3 hours of genuine studying. But we finished the course and had more free periods at school and then eventually went on study leave so yeh towards the end I was doing about 10 hours a day at home.

I did push myself too hard though. I'm not saying you have to do the same as me to get the grades you want. Many revise much less and get the same or better grades. But I felt like I wanted to know everything like the back of my hand specially after my as exams didn't go like I wanted them to.

Although I won't reccomend doing 10hrs a day (even though it worked for me), I do reccomend two things, specially for the science subjects:
1) know the spec really really well
2) do all of the exam papers for your subject from your exam board. And spend a decent amount of time thoroughly marking it as if it's not your own work. Be harsh in marking and learn from mistakes. You begin to see recurring patterns in the answers they're looking for. It makes the exam so much easier no matter what question they throw at you.
Thanks! It's just that I get panicked and stressed which then results in me getting nothing done 😔
Original post by Rhythmical
Classical music helps, but also finding some alone time and shutting the door and then revising one subject per day helps.
I did one hour a night at most for A-levels, although most days no studying outside of school. I used my time during school to study instead- had so many frees. Got A*A*A in the end.
Original post by Sabz152
Thanks! It's just that I get panicked and stressed which then results in me getting nothing done 😔

Don't panic, I'd say find some enthusiasm to revise and get pumped as I find this helps me immensely
Reply 25
9 hours per day / 12hrs on weekends / 7 days
I study Media (hate it so much lol but it's coursework based) English Literature and English Language and I am picking up Science based subjects this year after A2 and I plan to do Biomedical Science after a year of changing my mind :smile:

If you're going to change subjects whats the point in doing A2s now? Isnt it better if you just drop and start sciences now?
Original post by knightchildish
If you're going to change subjects whats the point in doing A2s now? Isnt it better if you just drop and start sciences now?

No point now, come so far and I'm nearly at the end, plus it's nice to have some extra qualification to back me up.

could get more A levels that way?
No point now, come so far and I'm nearly at the end, plus it's nice to have some extra qualification to back me up.

hmm true good luck with it

Original post by glad-he-ate-her
could get more A levels that way?

Yes but the offer she gets for biomed science wont include english or media
hmm true good luck with it

Yes but the offer she gets for biomed science wont include english or media

True, however if things don't work out I would probably do Psychology or something, Politics even?
True, however if things don't work out I would probably do Psychology or something, Politics even?

Wow you're really conflicted arent you? :biggrin:

I am indecisive yes, however it's best to have a lot of subjects as options incase they fall through :frown:
Probably 3/4 hours after college (more like 6 on a Wednesday though as I finish much earlier) and if I have frees that I'm in college for I work then and at lunch too (I come home whenever I can) so that's probably an extra 8 hours a week. I work Saturdays but I tend to do a lot of my History reading on the bus, maybe about an hour in total, and then on a Sunday probably 4/5 hours (I go to Church and help at Sunday school). Writing that out, I've realised not enough is the answer!
I am indecisive yes, however it's best to have a lot of subjects as options incase they fall through :frown:

I guess everyone's different, I would not want to do more than 2 years of a level, just want to get to uni ASAP!
😝😝😝
Original post by Bubs051213
Probably 3/4 hours after college (more like 6 on a Wednesday though as I finish much earlier) and if I have frees that I'm in college for I work then and at lunch too (I come home whenever I can) so that's probably an extra 8 hours a week. I work Saturdays but I tend to do a lot of my History reading on the bus, maybe about an hour in total, and then on a Sunday probably 4/5 hours (I go to Church and help at Sunday school). Writing that out, I've realised not enough is the answer!

Thats more than plenty, i assure you
I do about 4 hours of work after school every day on weekdays, and I work during my frees, weekends I'm not very productive, I usually just do my homework but no revision, I need to change that :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
wow well done, i momentarily forgot about study leave and thought you did 10 hours after school. What course do you plan on studying after gap year, as you pretty much have your pick

Imagine doing 10 hours after school!! Oh my god. I wouldn't be alive if I did that. I didn't get into medicine last year so I'm trying again this year. Currently have a mpharm offer from kcl but waiting on responses post interview for medicine. Fingers crossed I'll get in this time:smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Sabz152
What did u do at uni?

Not in uni yet. Currently on gap year. I applied again. Read my post above (if u want to.) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest