The Student Room Group

What stereotypes are you breaking?

Scroll to see replies

Nice one, didn't know you were Scottish :teehee: where are you from? I'm from Ayr :smile:

I actually liked social dancing at school! Except for always being the last one chosen :laugh: never been to a ceilidh outside of school though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am Pakistani n punctual 😂
:eek:

It's a small world! :tongue:
All of them.
I'm Asian and I'm not smart
I'm Asian and I hate kpop/ other Asian music
I'm quiet in class but I'm not always doing my work bc procrastination
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll jump on the Scottish not liking haggis bandwagon too :wink:
Reply 26
I barely drink, and I'm Irish. Apart from that, when it comes to Irish stereotypes, I really do bloody love potatoes. I ate a bowl of mash potatoes for dinner last night! :colondollar:

Oh, and just because I have numerous personality disorders, including the bog standard BPD, that does not mean I'm going to emotionally manipulate you etc etc. When it comes to mental health, I am so not textbook. :laugh:
I'm a white girl who doesn't like pumpkin spice lattes...
I love this idea :five:

My husband and I joke that we each do the other gender better. He is the romantic, caring and empathetic one, and he does the food shopping and cooking. I do the DIY and take out the rubbish. I'm also the one that is less emotional and more blunt, direct and aggressive. After sex, he wants holding and cuddling. I want to get up and get on with stuff :p:

Art
I love art... particularly drawing and sketching. I stopped lessons and declined to take it at A level because I got fed up with the whole self expression angle. My drawings don't mean diddly squat, and I was frustrated with teachers and courses that wanted me to articulate some kind of deeper meaning or idea. I just like looking at and reproducing objects and scenes that are nice looking. That's it. Nothing magical or fancy. I have nothing in common with most of the art friends and relatives I know. I'm not quirky, I wear very boring clothes. I'm not romantic or emotional. I don't want to express myself (and when I do, I tend to do that very straightforwardly in plain English)... I'm a very common sense, no nonsense person. I think that falls outside of the stereotype.

Autism
I'm on the autistic spectrum, but I have better social skills than many people who are not. This isn't because I don't have the disability and have just been wrongly diagnosed. Nor is it an indication that autism is not a seriously debilitating and major condition (albeit one that affects different people in different ways). Instead, the reason behind this is because I found out in my early teens and worked very hard from that point onwards to make up for my deficits by becoming observant, enlisting feedback from friends and actively learning relational principles. I don't think just any person on the spectrum would be capable of this, so I'm definitely not implying that people with bad social skills just need to try harder. But in my case, luckily, it worked out that way. I'm still weird and still make some mistakes, but most people struggle to believe my diagnosis now.

Class
I have a lot of upper middle class influence from my Dad's side, and I was raised in a very middle class home. I usually recognise all the classical music composers on University Challenge, and our regular meals typically included hummus, smelly cheeses and a glass of wine. But we actually struggled financially growing up. I wore second hand clothes, and we had the phone and electricity cut off many times. We also had days where we couldn't afford to pick up groceries or top up the car's fuel tank. When I got to University I had to 'check my privilege' because growing up, I'd always been the kid that didn't have whatever the latest toy was (no tamagotchi, no gymnast barbie etc), and who couldn't afford stuff.

Cambridge and Grades
On a superficial level, I break a stereotype because I was admitted to Cambridge with AAC grades. In fact, I was invited to interview with ABC, but the B was sent for a remark and bumped up to an A between my interview and their decision. In today's grading system, my marks would have really been A*AC; the A* being English Literature, and the A and C being Biology and Chemistry respectively. On the other hand, sociologically this is not that unusual. Even though on paper I counted as 'disadvantaged', as I did A levels at a struggling further education college, and my parents classify as low income, the middle class cultural influences in my background have to be taken into account when it comes to things like confidence and interview performance. I didn't think I 'deserved' to get in, but I wasn't going to complain either :biggrin:
Original post by Danny Dorito
I'm a white girl who doesn't like pumpkin spice lattes...

I tried one to see what all the hype was about. It was horrid
Reply 30
I couldn't care less when it comes to watermelon.

Spoiler

I don't like shopping
Don't revise every single day..actually don't revise at all.
From a deprived, single-mother household.
(Also of colour).

Mans at one of the highest-ranking Russell Groups ygm blud?
I'm not a criminal, I'm smart, Not loud (in fact I'm extremely quiet), I'm still in contact with my father, I hate KFC, however I do like watermelon and I'm never on time, always arrive African time (3 hours after the event has began or an hour after the event has finished) 😂
I'm a white guy and I'm rich.
Original post by sleepysnooze
I look like I'm 22 but I'm actually 23
yeah, yeah, I know. whatever.

Spoiler

actually you wouldn't think it but I'm technically a musical genius...and I'm not a weird motzart type
I have absolute pitch which only 1 in 10,000 people have
I found out in music class when I happened to be talking about each note the teacher was playing and he looks at me with this bright face and asks "do you have perfect pitch?" as if I'm jesus christ, and I had no idea what it was
I'm like this kid except maybe not quite as sharp:
[video="youtube;t3Cb1qwCUvI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Cb1qwCUvI[/video]

Me too :lol: friends used to constantly ask me to tune instruments for them because my ears are sharper than their little electric tuner things. I can tell if something's out of tune, even if it's just by a couple of Hertz.

Erm. There's a few for me though..

I'm a writer, but I'm badly dyslexic.

I'm a computer nerd, but I really ****ing hate computers.

I'm good at maths, but awful with numbers.

I'm a nerd in general, but I like some modern music (which apparently we aren't supposed to... :lolwut: ).

I'm an Asperger but I'm perceptive and empathic and can get along with people.

I'm not a hipster, but I have a collection of LPs and tapes.

Just off the top of my head :h:
Original post by Tootles
Me too :lol: friends used to constantly ask me to tune instruments for them because my ears are sharper than their little electric tuner things. I can tell if something's out of tune, even if it's just by a couple of Hertz.

that's pretty useful :lol: I can technically tune instruments, but I probably can't get it 100%, and I'm only good at tuning in relation to other notes - i.e. if I happen to have an E, I'll tune the A so that it's in tune with the E, even if it's not a perfect E, etc.
Original post by sleepysnooze
that's pretty useful :lol: I can technically tune instruments, but I probably can't get it 100%, and I'm only good at tuning in relation to other notes - i.e. if I happen to have an E, I'll tune the A so that it's in tune with the E, even if it's not a perfect E, etc.
It's quite fun being able to tell people their tuners are out of tune :colone:

I also have a vocal range from low baritone through to countertenor, can do falsetto (at one point being able to reach higher notes than my soprano ex-fiancée) and have been training myself in oktavist techniques. Because **** narrow vocal ranges :colonhash:

Spoiler

I'm disabled and I don't spend every second of my life waiting for a cure (and the fact that there won't be one doesn't make me a tragedy)
I'm scottish and I don't like either haggis or whisky
I'm a lesbian and I like wearing dresses and high heels.

This made me realise how many lesbian stereotypes I do conform to. That was all I could come up with!
I am a white girl and I am not basic :judge:

Quick Reply

Latest