The Student Room Group

Graphic Design Interviews - Advice Needed

Hi all,

I have few interviews next month and I was wondering what type of portfolio do you think is best to take, a A3 sized portfolio accompanied with sketchbooks of research or an A2 Sketchbook.

Also I am a graphic designer but mainly for YouTube and streaming sites (E.G Twitch) and I was wondering if you would think that to be good to put in my sketchbook as well.

What would you also recommend me to put in my sketchbook as I am also thinking about putting things like a few screenshots of my instagram page where I make videos and all the graphics on there are made by myself.

If you want anymore information, feel free to reply on here.
Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great evening
Reply 1
An A3 sized Portfolio accompanied by a Sketch book, but keep it a small like A5 or something.
You could try and upload your videos to a memory stick and if they have a computer there you can show them on, just bring it up to them. Keep it as a back up.
If you make videos and graphics, try and take them stand still rather than off your instagram page. It would seem kind of tacky to show a screenshot of an instagram page. Either crop it down so it just show the still image.

Good luck with your interviews, I hope I helped ever so slightly with your portfolio madness.
Reply 2
Original post by Alphraco
An A3 sized Portfolio accompanied by a Sketch book, but keep it a small like A5 or something.
You could try and upload your videos to a memory stick and if they have a computer there you can show them on, just bring it up to them. Keep it as a back up.
If you make videos and graphics, try and take them stand still rather than off your instagram page. It would seem kind of tacky to show a screenshot of an instagram page. Either crop it down so it just show the still image.

Good luck with your interviews, I hope I helped ever so slightly with your portfolio madness.

Thank you so much, that sounds great and yeah it does help hugely, good luck with your course too and thanks for your help
Reply 3
I have 5 interviews coming up in the near future but I am struggling with my portfolio as I don't think I have enough work.
Long story short, I am in my last year of college doing Graphic Design and the tutor we had didn't give us any help preparing for what we need to have and I am feeling so nervous about it.
So far I have 5 projects which I can show them and talk about but I also feel that they aren't good enough as one was just a day brief we recieved about contrast and we had to take 9 pictures of things which had contrast. (We had to use a black and white filter because of the artist's style we were given).
I have also got a large pile for my personal designs which contain Cinema 4D designs and I will also be talking about my work for social media in there as well.
What do you think I should to add to my portfolio or what things do you think I can do to improve them?

Quick Reply

Latest