The Student Room Group

Car crash on way to interview. Please help

So today I was on my way to an important interview when I lost control of the car on a snake bend on a country type road. There's black ice and My car spun out and clipped the back of a car and there is some damage to the front of my car. We exchanged details and I immediately called up my interviewer 30 mins before my appointment, however I had to leave a voice mail as she was holding interviews all afternoon.

I explained what happened and if she can please call me if it is possible to reschedule our interview. This was at 2.30pm.

What do I do next? I don't know if she has heard my voice mail. This interview meant everything to me and I've been preparing for weeks and now everything is just ruined

I'm still shook up from the car accident and it's destroyed my confidence. I can't stop shaking and freaking out because I've completely ****ed up my first impressions + my car is damaged and I clipped the back of an oncoming car that was going past.

Do I call her in the morning and try to explain again? I feel terrible that I couldnt be there and wasted the 2 interviewers time. This interview meant everything to me and I dont know if I'll get a second chance :frown: what do I do from here? It's gone 6pm so she'll have left the office, but I don't know if she heard my message or just isn't gonna call me back

Update:
I spoke to her this morning and she was really chill and reassuring! We've rearranged the interview for Friday morning
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Presuming they didn't get back to you? Might be a good idea to call first thing tomorrow morning (shows that you're eager) just to see if they received your message. Try to remain calm with the belief you still have a shot.

All the best.
Original post by Sadanon12
So today I was on my way to an important interview when I lost control of the car on a snake bend on a country type road (national speed limit). There's black ice and My car spun out and clipped the back of a car and there is some damage to the front of my car. We exchanged details and I immediately called up my interviewer 30 mins before my appointment, however I had to leave a voice mail as she was holding interviews all afternoon.

I explained what happened and if she can please call me if it is possible to reschedule our interview. This was at 2.30pm.

What do I do next? I don't know if she has heard my voice mail. This interview meant everything to me and I've been preparing for weeks and now everything is just ruined

I'm still shook up from the car accident and it's destroyed my confidence. I can't stop shaking and freaking out because I've completely ****ed up my opportunity.

Do I call her in the morning and try to explain again? I feel terrible that I couldnt be there and wasted the 2 interviewers time. This interview meant everything to me and I dont know if I'll get a second chance :frown: what do I do from here? It's gone 6pm so she'll have left the office, but I don't know if she heard my message or just isn't gonna call me back.
Someone else has probably got the job :frown:

Maybe try one more time tomorrow morning to ring her, you just gotta be careful on these country roads, it may be national speed limit but don't trust that in this sort of weather, they don't usually grit the roads. Just fingers crossed you can get in touch with her.
Reply 3
Original post by Chichaldo
Presuming they didn't get back to you? Might be a good idea to call first thing tomorrow morning (shows that you're eager) just to see if they received your message. Try to remain calm with the belief you still have a shot.

All the best.

She didn't get back to me, I just hope she did hear my message today otherwise I'd be marked as a no show. I'll call in the morning
Thank you
Oh Dear, Oh Dear!
Reply 5
Original post by Rock Fan
Maybe try one more time tomorrow morning to ring her, you just gotta be careful on these country roads, it may be national speed limit but don't trust that in this sort of weather, they don't usually grit the roads. Just fingers crossed you can get in touch with her.

Thanks for the advice! I will try to speak to her in the morning and hopefully she'll understand. It just ruins things when first impressions get tarnished by not showing up.
Thanks for the advice! I will try to speak to her in the morning and hopefully she'll understand. It just ruins things when first impressions get tarnished by not showing up.

No it doesn't, you crashed the car! Be professional about this. Just ring tomorrow morning, apologise for the no show yesterday, and say you hope she got your voicemail. Explain briefly you had a car accident - they don't need to know details. Ask if there is any chance of another interview because you are very keen on the job- and make sure you can free up any time tomorrow or the next day. They probably won't want to delay longer than that because it holds up all the other candidates.

There is no bad impression made on reasonable people when a candidate has been held up by accidents or circumstances not in their control.
Original post by threeportdrift
No it doesn't, you crashed the car! Be professional about this. Just ring tomorrow morning, apologise for the no show yesterday, and say you hope she got your voicemail. Explain briefly you had a car accident - they don't need to know details. Ask if there is any chance of another interview because you are very keen on the job- and make sure you can free up any time tomorrow or the next day. They probably won't want to delay longer than that because it holds up all the other candidates.

There is no bad impression made on reasonable people when a candidate has been held up by accidents or circumstances not in their control.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
Let us know how you get on anyway.
Reply 8
[QUOTE="Emma:-);69761864"]

There is no bad impression made on reasonable people when a candidate has been held up by accidents or circumstances not in their control.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
Let us know how you get on anyway.

I need to call her now but I'm anxious:frown: :frown:
Reply 9

There is no bad impression made on reasonable people when a candidate has been held up by accidents or circumstances not in their control.

Great advice thank you
I need to call her now but I'm anxious :frown:
[QUOTE="Sadanon12;69762384"]
Original post by Emma:-)

I need to call her now but I'm anxious:frown: :frown:

The sooner you get it over and done with the better. At least if they havent got your voicemail (for whatever reason) then at least if you phone now you can explain and at least the will know you tried to contact them yesterday.
The longer you leave it- it might make them think you arent interested in the job.
Reply 11
[QUOTE="Emma:-);69762416"]

The sooner you get it over and done with the better. At least if they havent got your voicemail (for whatever reason) then at least if you phone now you can explain and at least the will know you tried to contact them yesterday.
The longer you leave it- it might make them think you arent interested in the job.

I was just about to call her and she called me and she was lovely and so cool about it!
That couldn't have gone better, feeling positive now.
We rearranged it for friday morning :smile: enough time to try forget about the crash and prepare for the interview again!
How'd it go?
Reply 13
Original post by Chichaldo
How'd it go?

Spoke to her this morning and she was really chill and reassuring! She only heard my voicemail this morning but said to the other interviewer yesterday about me not showing up "something must have happened on tbe way as she was really keen about the role"
But yeah we've rearranged it for Friday morning :smile:
Spoke to her this morning and she was really chill and reassuring! She only heard my voicemail this morning but said to the other interviewer yesterday about me not showing up "something must have happened on tbe way as she was really keen about the role"

Happy days, good luck

Its a good opportunity to show how you react under pressure and deal with a small crisis. headless chicken or calm and thoughtful.

That's great! I'm so happy to hear that. Was about to post advice but I saw your update :P In my opinion, if anything, this will prove that you really are keen and enthusiastic about this as you kept calm and made sure to call them back professionally and explain the issue you had. Well done and I hope you get accepted :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by foundationhall
x

For advice? Reassurance? Somewhere to write about what happened?

By your logic, why does anyone ask anything on here?

Good luck :smile:

I think you handled it well by the way - many people would have forgotten to get in touch after an accident owing to shock.
For advice? Reassurance? Somewhere to write about what happened?

By your logic, why does anyone ask anything on here?

So glad that you are still in the game with the interview. Perhaps treat yourself to a taxi on Friday ?

i reported the numpty who posted above btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending