The Student Room Group

Gcse maths mock(edexcel) 9-1

I was just wondering what people thought of the mock exams and the new spec?
Original post by MARS000

Why don't you start by telling us what you think?
i found it really hard to be honest. How did u find it?
Reply 3
omg yeah it was quite hard
Reply 4
what did you get in your mock?
Original post by MARS000
what did you get in your mock?

You will find this link useful:- first person to do the actual Edexcel actual Paper 1 and 2 online, think he is uploadng paper 3 in early Feb

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSaZnLJ_QM2gS2nSieLYYCagXpk7jORcq
Original post by MARS000

I found it almost impossible i managed to get a 4 which is like a low C i would love to get a 6 in the real thing but our school made the scores out of the topics we had covered which boosted peoples scores hope they are more forgiving for the real thing ahh
to get 6 or above on 9-1 maths: 1) Buy a collins textbook, I have got the collins AQA GCSE maths 4th edition higher student book. I know this may a seem a bit crazy but I suggest you finish the textbook that's what I did and I am getting an 8 in all my recent mocks. 2) Do old specification past papers primarily edexcel and AQA, print off one paper and go on YouTube to learn how you can solve the question and then print off another one and do it own your own with any revision resources. Old specification papers helped me so much in year 8.. I was in set 3 but after doing 3-4 I moved to set 1. 3) Ask your teacher to print off the new specification papers and do them by yourself, if you need help just ask the teacher on how you can get through the question. also make him print off the topic list for each paper that's what our teacher is doing. 4) It's not that late we still got 3 months left and I am planning on doing the whole textbook again to refresh my maths skill and knowledge, I am going to be printing off all the past papers I can find and asking my teacher to print off the new ones (the ones we did). 5) PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE - PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT... answer all the questions you encounter, spend hours on a question until your head starts to ache. But most important learn the theory which can be find in the collins textbook - it has a clear page of the theory, examples and questions to make you fluent. Also the new maths has 2 or more topics in one question so make sure you cover the whole syllabus. That's it working hard can you help you achieve your goals. I want to study maths, further maths and physics at sixth form and go on to do maths and computer science degree. Remember I am not brilliant at maths, I used to get Cs and Ds in year 7 and 8 but I changed my attitude and started to get motivated to do well in maths. Then in end of year 8 I pushed myself by doing many past papers and I did well on the mocks that year and they moved me up to set 1 so remember practice makes perfect and always work hard.
I'm starting them as well but they don't seem bad, doing them in summer and actually I'm not really stressed about them, they're mostly like the old exams so it's not tooo new or different
I guess so it's basically just two topics into one for example there was one question in the mock which involved cosine rules and SOH CAH TOA then I had to find the cost of something.
Original post by nstar12
I'm starting them as well but they don't seem bad, doing them in summer and actually I'm not really stressed about them, they're mostly like the old exams so it's not tooo new or different

May ask you what grade you got in your recent mocks for maths?
grade 7. it may not seem like much but considering we've only learnt half the spec, I think it's good.
It is not that as hard as everyone is saying. You just have to do lots of specimen papers and highlight key topics that you don't understand and revise them. I did this and I got an 8.

Quick Reply

Latest