The Student Room Group

BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump orders the wall to be built.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Metal Gear
100% convinced me

let's completely open the border and let everyone in

:heart: :jebus:
Original post by Pulse.
This isn't spectacular or unprecedented. A wall will benefit both nations and will be a step towards tackling issues that have persisted in the region for too long. It's being built and pushed well before the development of sufficient appetite for it amongst society and politics but Trump is a man of action and everyone should be applauding rather than pointing fingers towards bigotry, xenophobia and racism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What issues will be best tackled by building a $25 billion USD wall?
Original post by queen-bee
Love>wall

Where did you study Maths?
Original post by 999tigger
Arent you making the assumption that the wall is going to be an effective immigration tool?

It will be.

Will these new workers, work for the lower salaries the Mexicans work for?

No because that's the point, middle Americans want salaries pushed up not down.

If not ownt that push up prices and cause inflation?

It might do, but it might not since wages are not the only thing which influence inflation, output and the price of natural resources also has some influence. This is the great hypocrisy of leftists, none of you would accept the argument that a high minimum wage causes inflation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by queen-bee
All we need is love and justice and fairness for all <3

There is nothing just or fair about allowing hundreds of thousands of undocumented illegal immigrants to flow into the United States, bringing drugs and crime, and taking American jobs!
Original post by AndrewSCO
Can someone explain to me how the USA can just decide *they* want a wall along the border and then just make Mexico pay for it...?

Ikr

Original post by l'etranger
Hopefully there'll be machine gun posts too tbh.

So you're ok with shooting high caliber rounds at migrants? That's ****ed up.
Original post by cbreef
So you're ok with shooting high caliber rounds at migrants? That's ****ed up.

I never specified the sorts of rounds they should use.

What's the point of fitting small caliber ammunition to machine guns?
It will be.

No because that's the point, middle Americans want salaries pushed up not down.

It might do, but it might not since wages are not the only thing which influence inflation, output and the price of natural resources also has some influence. This is the great hypocrisy of leftists, none of you would accept the argument that a high minimum wage causes inflation.

What do you mean you? I havent said anything.

Ive read various articles on the effectiveness of the wall and they were more persuasive than your explanation. Time will tell

Its fine if they want higher salaries, but all things being equal they will become less competitive. Ofc raising wages is an inflationary pressure.

"Machine guns" usually take 7.62mm rounds, but some are also designed for a slightly smaller cartridge. Both have a habit of killing in 1 shot.

Original post by Hasselnot
What's the point of fitting small caliber ammunition to machine guns?

Exactly.
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you mean you? I havent said anything.

Arent you making the assumption that the wall is going to be an effective immigration tool?

Don't lie to me.

Ive read various articles on the effectiveness of the wall and they were more persuasive than your explanation. Time will tell

Given that Hillary Clinton also called for a ''barrier''across the southern border, I'm sure a wall will be a highly effective measure, it's only since it's become a political issue suddnetly it won't work or it's racist or whatever bull you're going to spout next.

Its fine if they want higher salaries, but all things being equal they will become less competitive. Ofc raising wages is an inflationary pressure.

If Trump cuts regulations and industrial output increases inflation will be reduced. You're acting as if you can take each policy in isolation when in actual fact you have to consider the interrelations between policies and the economy to understand the outcome holistically.
Original post by Zangoose
What issues will be best tackled by building a $25 billion USD wall?

That's a conservative estimate as well.
Original post by Ladbants
There are different methods:
1) Tell them straight up "you are paying for it"
2) Negotiate- Trump is a master negotiator, he can literally negotiate a deal where the Mexican president sucks his willy in front of all the G20 leaders during a live broadcast.
3) Put a tax on all money entering Mexico from the US, such as on payments being sent home by immigrants in the us to Mexico
4) Threaten to stop trade deals with Mexico
5) Morec complicated methods

I'm intrigued to find out how you know this.
Government spending will create jobs and people will work in those jobs and they will get paid for working those jobs and in turn they will buy things with their paycheck which will create other jobs. No mainstream economist disputes this given that Keynesian economics is the mainstream school of economic thought, but when Trump talks about it, suddenly it's insane.

So Trump and Republican supporters are in favour of Keynesian economics and public spending?
Original post by cbreef

at least some of that will be made up for in the renegotiation of the cost of the fighter jet that is your avatar :wink:
Original post by cbreef
"Machine guns" usually take 7.62mm rounds, but some are also designed for a slightly smaller cartridge. Both tend to kill in 1 shot.

Well they're hardly gonna be using .22 rifles are they
Original post by That Bearded Man
So Trump and Republican supporters are in favour of Keynesian economics and public spending?

Trump is just a normal centrist it seems.
Original post by cbreef

That's less than 3 weeks of US military budget.
Original post by Palmyra
at least some of that will be made up for in the renegotiation of the cost of the fighter jet that is your avatar :wink:

How does that work if the money is already spent?
It's an amazing but bloody expensive aeroplane. I like it ok? :colondollar:
I still can't believe it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending