The Student Room Group

Becoming a lawyer

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Chloemarie2205;69777022"]
Original post by tehforum

I don't know what that even means I joined this website like 4 days ago. I didn't even realise I 'repped' someone, so I can't give a reason as to why.

Ah ok,

Basically, you clicked the thumbs up on the left hand corner of a user's post, which contributes to the reputation as denoted by the number of green 'gems' accumulated.
Original post by Chloemarie2205
But do I care about your opinion?

No.

:five:
Original post by burntnorton
You've literally lived on TSR for the past 8 years and posted 22,713 times.

I'm in tears :hahaha:

"Reevaluate your life." :h:

Paha, I was once a teenager and hardly used it in the past 5, but ok :smile:
[QUOTE="tehforum;69777046"]

Ah ok,

Basically, you clicked the thumbs up on the left hand corner of a user's post, which contributes to the reputation as denoted by the number of green 'gems' accumulated.

Oh yes it appears I did. Sorry about that, shall I unclick it or?
[QUOTE="Chloemarie2205;69777090"]

Oh yes it appears I did. Sorry about that, shall I unclick it or?

Nah, you can't undo rep.

Just a thought for the future, since you don't want to rep people like me haaha
[QUOTE="tehforum;69777108"]

Nah, you can't undo rep.

Just a thought for the future, since you don't want to rep people like me haaha

What why??? It's only a rep?
[QUOTE="Chloemarie2205;69777134"]

What why??? It's only a rep?

You've managed to reply to yourself.

Well done.
As long as you attend an RG uni then you stand as good of a chance as everyone else. City firms recruit from a wide variety of universities. Institution is becoming less important. It's no longer the case that you have to be from Oxbridge to make it to the magic circle. If you are thinking about the bar, then I would suggest Oxbridge. Other than this, academics are only 50% of the picture.

Law firms will reject academically gifted candidates if they don't have evidence of extra-curriculars and people skills. So make sure to do lots of things outside of your studies when at uni (committee positions at societies, volunteering, mooting etc). I have friends at Oxbridge who haven't manage to obtain training contracts because they lack experience outside of their academics.

Anyway, if "prestige" matters to you then the obvious choices are Oxford, Cambs, LSE, UCL, Durham etc. As long as you attend a RG or top 20 uni and obtain a 2:1 minimum, then academically you should be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by burntnorton
You've literally lived on TSR for the past 8 years and posted 22,713 times.

I'm in tears :hahaha:

"Reevaluate your life." :h:

I like when forum users laugh at other forum users for being forum users
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I like when forum users laugh at other forum users for being forum users

Sweet, sweet irony.
Original post by Princepieman
Sweet, sweet irony.

I haven't the faintest idea what you mean by this.

Was in support of your post lol

he is agreeing with you.
Original post by Princepieman
Was in support of your post lol

haha oh I see. :five:
Reply 34
Sorry your thread had been hijacked (this happens on TSR all the time!)! I'm not a lawyer myself nor am I studying law at university but I'm hoping to becom a lawyer too when I'm older and as such I have intensively researched universities, requirements and prerequisites. Law is (as I'm sure you know already) the most competitive sector to enter in the UK if not in the world. To succeed you must be 100% passionate about law and driven too but that is not enough; you must be academically stellar (so ideally have all A*/A/B at GCSE and AAA-A*AA at A-Level) and must have done work experience and have strong extra curriculars which exhibit your passion ie debating, Model UN, mock trials, team sports. Law is a dry and boring subject to study academically (apparently although it's totally subjective. I'd advice reading law books to get a taste of it) so you must enjoy TONNES of reading, essay writing and have a highly analytical and evaluative mind to do well and get te 2:1/1:1 sought after by law firms. Law also requires you to then do an LPC after you've graduated to qualify as a lawyer; you will hopefully do this whilst working in a training contract with a firm (you start searching for these in your second year apparently). Training contracts are however highly competitive with something like 1 in every 100 applicants getting one which is why I myself am gonna study modern languages at university followed by a post graduate diploma in law (which is a three year law degree squeezed into a year and is an well respected as a law degree but expensive!) so I don't narrow my options as much and make myself more marketable (being multilingual is a HUGE benefit so I'd recommend leaning another language). Law at any RG university will be fine nowadays I should think although top players include Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol and Durham which send the highest proportion of grads to top firms (the likes of UEA are also rising up the ranks so don't discount an institution just because it's not RG). And lastly, if you don't think any of the above apply to you and you're the not the type of person who loves paperwork and bureaucracy (law is so much more than that but then again it is essentially full of paperwork) and imagine yourself as Atticus Finch then perhaps law isn't for you. Law is highly academic and worth it for those who truly love it but the money isn't always that great (in fact it rarely is). Harsh but true. Hope this has been of help! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by eam0ss
Sorry your thread had been hijacked (this happens on TSR all the time!)! I'm not a lawyer myself nor am I studying law at university but I'm hoping to becom a lawyer too when I'm older and as such I have intensively researched universities, requirements and prerequisites. Law is (as I'm sure you know already) the most competitive sector to enter in the UK if not in the world. To succeed you must be 100% passionate about law and driven too but that is not enough; you must be academically stellar (so ideally have all A*/A/B at GCSE and AAA-A*AA at A-Level) and must have done work experience and have strong extra curriculars which exhibit your passion ie debating, Model UN, mock trials, team sports. Law is a dry and boring subject to study academically (apparently although it's totally subjective. I'd advice reading law books to get a taste of it) so you must enjoy TONNES of reading, essay writing and have a highly analytical and evaluative mind to do well and get te 2:1/1:1 sought after by law firms. Law also requires you to then do an LPC after you've graduated to qualify as a lawyer; you will hopefully do this whilst working in a training contract with a firm (you start searching for these in your second year apparently). Training contracts are however highly competitive with something like 1 in every 100 applicants getting one which is why I myself am gonna study modern languages at university followed by a post graduate diploma in law (which is a three year law degree squeezed into a year and is an well respected as a law degree but expensive!) so I don't narrow my options as much and make myself more marketable (being multilingual is a HUGE benefit so I'd recommend leaning another language). Law at any RG university will be fine nowadays I should think although top players include Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol and Durham which send the highest proportion of grads to top firms (the likes of UEA are also rising up the ranks so don't discount an institution just because it's not RG). And lastly, if you don't think any of the above apply to you and you're the not the type of person who loves paperwork and bureaucracy (law is so much more than that but then again it is essentially full of paperwork) and imagine yourself ags Atticus Finch then perhaps law isn't for you. Law is highly academic and worth it for those who truly love it but the money isn't always that great (in fact it rarely is). Harsh but true. Hope this has been of help! :smile:

Im actually moving to france this March, so I'm hoping to be fluent by the time I'm going to be in uni. Thanks for your post, it's been very helpful. Hopefully we will both be in our dream job!! Message me if you want to talk more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending