The Student Room Group

Parliament vote AGAINST sex education being compulsory in all schools!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cari98
They should, in an ideal world. But this isn't an ideal world and some don't. At least if it's made compulsory in all schools you can be sure the kids are at least getting something.

But the responsibility shouldn't be shifted to the teachers just because the parents can't be bothered
Original post by cherryred90s
But the responsibility shouldn't be shifted to the teachers just because the parents can't be bothered

And I'd be inclined to agree with you. But I'd rather have as many children as possible educated to a good standard by teachers, than a select few being well educated with the rest being poorly/partially educated or not at all, leading to teen pregnancies, STI's etc.
Original post by Cari98
And I'd be inclined to agree with you. But I'd rather have as many children as possible educated to a good standard by teachers, than a select few being well educated with the rest being poorly/partially educated or not at all, leading to teen pregnancies, STI's etc.

They're still children though, so I think it should have to be consented for by the parents. I wouldn't want my 11 year old child learning about sex without my say so
Original post by cherryred90s
They're still children though, so I think it should have to be consented for by the parents. I wouldn't want my 11 year old child learning about sex without my say so

Oh yeah, my school never did anything like that without the parent's say so. I think it should be compulsory for the school to have the lessons, but it obviously can't be compulsory for every child to attend them, some parents just aren't okay with it for whatever reason.
Although I'm sure the teaching is made so that it's suited to a child's age. I doubt that they'd offer anything too graphic for an 11 year old, it'd probably increase in maturity as the kid grows up
Original post by discobish

I fail to see any strong reasoning as to why schools shouldn't provide it as part of the syllabus?

See my response on the previous page.
Yes, teaching people that cars have air bags us more likely to make them go out and drive so that they can crash on purpose.

Quick Reply

Latest